Re: [revelation-list] Re: Nero

    Message 1 of 47 , Dec 7, 2007
      I have written elsewhere that there is a fundamental problem with this
      whole approach to dating.

      Most commentators look at the different emperors, reflect on who might
      have been the most nasty, and opt for that one as the one under which
      the book was written. But it didn't work like that! John was not
      sitting there, waiting to write a book, choosing which emperor to
      write under!

      Personally, I think the evidence points to writing under Domitian. But
      it has to be on other grounds than 'who was nastiest.' Goodness knows,
      Christians in Britain (and America) think they are 'persecuted'... And
      after Leonard Thompson, this might not even be the right question to
      ask...

      On 7 Dec 2007, at 00:26, Kevin P. Edgecomb wrote:

      > Relatedly, I think it was Robert Grant who brought up that the
      > Trajan/Pliny correspondence demonstrates a new approach to the
      > problem of accusations, implicitly different from Domitian's in the
      > instruction not to rely upon the testimony of delatores, reliance
      > upon which had been common under Domitian. This was tied to Trajan's
      > perception of his reign as an enlightened one, particularly in
      > comparison to his predecessor's.

      Ian
      _________________
      Revd Dr Ian Paul
      Dean of Studies, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm NG9 3DS
      w 0115 925 1114 x 254 h 0115 922 9699 m 07974
      351502
      http://www.stjohns-nottm.ac.uk
      Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge
      CB3 9HU
      01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
      http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
    • Laszlo Hubbes
      Message 47 of 47 , Dec 10, 2007
        Dear Dr. Ian R. Brown,

        I would full-heartedly suggest among many others

        Christopher Rowland's and Judith Kovacs's volume on Revelation in the
        Blackwell Bible Commentaries series. (Blackwell Publishing, 2004) - A
        brilliant multi-aspect and multi-level commentary on the Apocalypse, with an
        added emphasis on its reception history.

        Best regards,

        Hubbes Laszlo

        --
        HUBBES L�szl�-Attila, PhD
        www.apokaliptikum.lap.hu

        librarian
        "BOD PETER" LIBRARY,
        Str. Gabor Aron ut 14,
        520008, Sfantu Gheorghe (Sepsiszentgyorgy),
        judetul Covasna.
        Tel.: + 40 (267) 315577
        Tel./Fax: + 40 (267) 351609
        e-mail: biblio@....