Re: [revelation-list] Re: Nero

    Message 1 of 47 , Dec 6, 2007
      In order for 666 to be construed as referring to Nero it must be transliterated into Hebrew and read as "Ner�n Kaisar." This is likely the reason that the reading 616 arose since it does not require such change. This apparently arose at an early date as is evidenced by P.Oxy. 4499.

      http://www.papyrology.ox.ac.uk/POxy/beast/beast616.html

      Message 47 of 47 , Dec 10, 2007
        Dear Dr. Ian R. Brown,

        I would full-heartedly suggest among many others

        Christopher Rowland's and Judith Kovacs's volume on Revelation in the
        Blackwell Bible Commentaries series. (Blackwell Publishing, 2004) - A
        brilliant multi-aspect and multi-level commentary on the Apocalypse, with an
        added emphasis on its reception history.

        Best regards,

        Hubbes Laszlo

        --
        HUBBES L�szl�-Attila, PhD
        www.apokaliptikum.lap.hu

        librarian
        "BOD PETER" LIBRARY,
        Str. Gabor Aron ut 14,
        520008, Sfantu Gheorghe (Sepsiszentgyorgy),
        judetul Covasna.
        Tel.: + 40 (267) 315577
        Tel./Fax: + 40 (267) 351609
        e-mail: biblio@....