Simon J. Kistemaker and the early church on Nero

  • neroad70
    Message 1 of 47 , Nov 17, 2007
      Hi folks, sorry to just parachute in here, but I try to stay on the
      sidelines, like a third string quarterback holding the clipboard, as I
      need to learn before I talk (at least my wife thinks so).

      Anyway, Kistemaker makes the analysis that the identification of Nero
      and 666, is not based on early church fathers but rather comes from
      nineteenth-century scholars,
      "W.G.Baines, The Number of the Beast in Revelation 13:18," Heythjourn
      16 1975.

      So my question is, why then do many people say that the early church
      or part of it anyway, felt that Nero was indeed the Beast?

      If you can give me any solid verifiable evidence to the early church
      holding that view or at least portions of the church beleiving so, I
      would much appreciate it and any further reading on the specific topic.

      Thank you!

      Troy Yoppini
    • Laszlo Hubbes
      Message 47 of 47 , Dec 10, 2007
        Dear Dr. Ian R. Brown,

        I would full-heartedly suggest among many others

        Christopher Rowland's and Judith Kovacs's volume on Revelation in the
        Blackwell Bible Commentaries series. (Blackwell Publishing, 2004) - A
        brilliant multi-aspect and multi-level commentary on the Apocalypse, with an
        added emphasis on its reception history.

        Best regards,

        Hubbes Laszlo

        --
        HUBBES L�szl�-Attila, PhD
        www.apokaliptikum.lap.hu

        librarian
        "BOD PETER" LIBRARY,
        Str. Gabor Aron ut 14,
        520008, Sfantu Gheorghe (Sepsiszentgyorgy),
        judetul Covasna.
        Tel.: + 40 (267) 315577
        Tel./Fax: + 40 (267) 351609
        e-mail: biblio@....