RE: [revelation-list] Re: Rev 2:9; 3:9

  • David Scholer
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
      For what it is worth, I agree. I will look for Rob's article, which I had
      not seen. The discussion of this whole issue has been fun. As G. K.
      Chesterton said (in Orthodoxy): St. John saw many strange creatures in this
      visions, but none so strange as his commentators!

      David M. Scholer

      Professsor of New Testament and Associate Dean for the Center for Advanced
      Theological Studies

      Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena CA 91182

      626-584-5288; dscholer@...

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
        Isn't that just a more polite way of saying the same thing?

        Alternatively, if those who say they are Jews and are not are actually
        Judaizing Gentiles, then John is telling the literal truth: they are lying
        in claiming to be Jews.

        In the very city to which Rev 3:9 is directed, notice Ignatius' polemic
        against Gentiles who preach Judaism (Philadelphians 6.1; see also Magnesians
        10.3).

        Ramsey Michaels

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
          Almost, but not quite. The difference is that those whom he labels "as not being Jews are probably the more negative ones.

        • KennethGentry@cs.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
            In a message dated 10/13/2006 3:10:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            ottoerlend@... writes:

            > "I have a brief paper on 1:7 from this perspective that I could post
            > on revelation-list if anyone would like for me to."
            >
            > I would very much like you to post this paper. Thanks!

            "EVEN THOSE WHO PIERCED HIM"

            Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th.D.

            Revelation is the most difficult book to interpret in all of Scripture.
            And it becomes even more difficult when would-be exegetes overlook its stated
            theme. Anytime we endeavor to understand a work, we must seek to do so on the
            basis of the original author's theme. This is especially true when the author
            states his theme — as the Apostle John does in Revelation.

            As with the temporal indicators provided in Revelation 1:1 and 3, John
            places his thematic statement early in his prophecy. In fact, it appears in his
            seventh verse (in our modern versions):

            "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even
            those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him.
            Even so. Amen" (Rev. 1:7).

            The initial impression this verse leaves on us today is the conviction
            that John is speaking of the Second Advent. It certainly does involve language
            quite applicable to the future, glorious, history-ending Second Coming of
            Christ. The Scriptures speak often of his Second Coming, and even with this sort of
            cloud-coming judgment language (cp. Acts 1:9-11; 1 Thess. 4:16-17; 2 Thess.
            1:7-10). And the historic, universal Christian Church has always affirmed that
            majestic event.

            Yet looks are deceiving. Despite this reasonable first impression, strong
            evidence compels us to interpret Revelation 1:7 differently. I believe this
            verse presents us with a judgment prophecy against first century Jerusalem,
            whose destruction occurs in AD 70. John's theme looks to the approaching
            devastation of the Temple and Jerusalem under the Roman generals Vespasian and Titus.
            In that this interpretation of John's theme is not immediately obvious and is
            quite unfamiliar to most modern Christians, I will need to defend it in some
            detail.

            Several compelling reasons move us away from a Second Advent
            interpretation to an AD 70 one. I will prsent eight lines of evidence supporting a first
            century interpretation.

            The Preceding Context of the Theme
            Perhaps the leading interpretive principle for understanding any document
            can be summarized in three words: "Context. Context. Context." Before we
            arrive at Revelation 1:7 upon opening John's book, we must pass through verses 1
            and 3. These two verses emphatically declare that the events expected in
            Revelation "must shortly take place" (Rev. 1:1) because "the time is near" (Rev.
            1:3).
            We must carefully note that not only does John declare the events of his
            book near, but in those nearness declarations he relates his purpose, applying
            it to his first century audience. Revelation 1:1 informs the original
            recipients that he is writing about "the things which must shortly take place" (Rev.
            1:1). One would think that if he is writing about "the things which must
            shortly take place" this would involve his very theme. It would be strikingly odd
            if John were to declare temporal nearness for the very purpose of his writing,
            then give a theme which reached thousands of years beyond his day. After all,
            does not he declare the nearness of "the time" as reason why his first century
            readers must read, hear, and "heed the things which are written in it" (Rev.
            1:3)? Why would he urge their heeding the things written, if his thematic
            purpose lies untold centuries in the future?
            So then, just four verses before John states the theme of Revelation, he
            declares the events near and applies them to us original audience.

            The Following Context of the Theme

            Not only does John introduce his theme in a way demanding its fast
            approaching fulfillment, but just two verses after stating it he applies it to the
            grueling circumstances of his original readers: "I, John, your brother and
            fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance which are in
            Jesus, was on the island called Patmos, because of the word of God and the
            testimony of Jesus" (Rev. 1:9).

            John is ministering to a persecuted minority: God's concern with those
            suffering for the faith in the first century is a major, recurring theme running
            throughout Revelation (Rev. 2:9-10; 3:9-10; 6:9-12; 13:5-7; 14:13; 20:4).
            Surely he is not telling these persecuted saints that the time is near, that they
            must heed that which he is writing, that God is concerned with theirr
            persecution — but he will avenge his people thousands of years in the future?
            Revelation 1:7 must apply to the first century circumstances.

            The Apocalyptic Language in the Prophecy
            John frames his thematic statement in apocalyptic imagery by speaking of
            Christ "coming with the clouds" (Rev. 1:7). And though this sounds like the
            Second Advent, and though that glorious event will be literally "with the
            clouds," we find this type of language can be used symbolically of divine historical
            judgments other than the Second Coming. Anyone reading Revelation quickly
            recognizes that he is in a work with strange imagery. And that imagery must often
            be understood symbolically. I believe such is true here in our theme verse as
            well. Let us note just two examples of apocalyptic imagery used of historical
            events.
            In Isaiah 19 we find a warning to Old Testament Egypt. In that prophecy
            God threatens judgment upon that ancient nation, a judgment which transpires
            when the Assyrian king Esarhaddon conquered Egypt in 671 B.C. Yet notice the
            language Isaiah employs: "The oracle concerning Egypt. Behold, the Lord is riding
            on a swift cloud, and is about to come to Egypt; the idols of Egypt will
            tremble at His presence, and the heart of the Egyptians will melt within them"
            (Isa. 19:1). Clearly the prophecy applies to Egypt. And just as clearly it claims
            the Lord "is about to come" to Egypt. Yet no interpreter believes the
            Egyptians saw God Almighty sitting on a cloud and descending among them in judgment.
            In Matthew 26 the Lord Jesus himself uses this language in speaking of
            his judgment against Israel in AD 70:
            "And the high priest stood up and said to Him, 'Do You make no
            answer? What is it that these men are testifying against You?' But Jesus kept
            silent. And the high priest said to Him, 'I adjure You by the living God, that You
            tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.' Jesus said to him, 'You
            have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you shall see the Son
            of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of
            heaven.'"
            Verse 64 is similar to Revelation 1:7: "you shall see the Son of Man sitting
            at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." And note that
            he is speaking to the high priest and those gathered around him: "you shall
            see." This must refer to the AD 70 judgment, which is prophesied in several
            places by Christ (see particularly Matt. 21:33-34; 22:1-7; 24:1-34), and which
            would be witnessed by many of those who stood against Christ on that day.
            So then, Revelation 1:7 can be applied to the historical judgment
            befalling Israel in AD 70. Nothing in Scripture prohibits such an apocalyptic
            rendering. As the evidence mounts, we will be driven to that very conclusion.

            The Lord's Prior Teaching on the Subject
            In the preceding evidence I mentioned as an aside that Christ himself
            employs apocalyptic judgment-coming language when referring to the approaching
            destruction of the Temple. Let us look a little more closely at this phenomenon
            as we unpack the meaning of Revelation 1:7.
            In Matthew 21:33-48 Jesus presents the Parable of the Vineyard Owner. In
            that parable we have a picture of God's loving blessings upon Israel over the
            centuries (21:33-34). But God's providential care of Israel is portrayed
            against the backdrop of her stubborn disobedience leading her to kill the prophets
            whom God sent to her (21:35-36). Finally God sends his very son, only to have
            Israel kill him (21:37-40). Based on this parable Jesus asks the religious
            leaders of Israel: "Therefore when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he
            do to those vine-growers?" (21:40).
            Israel's leaders unwittingly respond to his query: "They said to Him, 'He
            will bring those wretches to a wretched end, and will rent out the vineyard
            to other vine-growers, who will pay him the proceeds at the proper seasons'"
            (21:41). He shocks them by catching them in their own words: "Therefore I say to
            you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you, and be given to a nation
            producing the fruit of it. And he who falls on this stone will be broken to
            pieces; but on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust" (21:43-44).
            They then understand his point: "And when the chief priests and the Pharisees
            heard His parables, they understood that He was speaking about them" (21:45).
            This parable and its consequent discussion look to the AD 70 destruction
            of the Temple, speaking of the AD 70 judgment as a "coming" of the Lord: "when
            the owner of the vineyard comes" (21:40). In the following context another
            parable speaks more literally: "But the king was enraged and sent his armies,
            and destroyed those murderers, and set their city on fire" (Matt. 22:7).
            Clearly then, Revelation 1:7 can at least theoretically be applied to AD
            70. And given its contextual setting (and other matters I will rehearse
            below), this is the preferred understanding of John's theme.

            The Specific Cause of the Judgment

            Having established the context and the possibilities, we must now focus
            on the express wording of Revelation 1:7. John applies the prophecy
            particularly against "those who pierced him": "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and
            every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the
            earth will mourn over Him. Even so. Amen" (Rev. 1:7). This provides a clue for
            the proper interpretation of the theme which is as overlooked as the clues
            regarding John's temporal expectations.

            We are all aware that the Roman soldiers were the direct, physical
            instruments of Christ's crucifixion. The Bible, however, strongly and repeatedly
            emphasizes Israel's covenantal responsibility for the whole terrible event. I
            will list several verses that point directly to Israel as the cause of Christ's
            crucifixion (in a later chapter we will see how relevant this is to the message
            of Israel).

            "And all the people answered and said, 'His blood be on us and on our
            children!'" (Matt. 27:25).

            "They therefore cried out, 'Away with Him, away with Him, crucify
            Him!' Pilate said to them, 'Shall I crucify your King?' The chief priests
            answered, 'We have no king but Caesar'" (John 19:15).

            "This Man, delivered up by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge
            of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death"
            (Acts 2:23).

            "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by
            hanging Him on a cross" (Acts 5:30).

            See also: Acts 7:52; 10:39; 13:13-15; 1 Thess. 2:14-16.

            The unrelenting testimony of the New Testament blames Israel for Christ's
            death. She is covenantally responsible; she should have known better (Matt.
            23:37; John 1:11). So then, Revelation 1:7 promises judgment upon "those who
            pierced him," which demands that that judgment fall in the first century while
            "those who pierced him" were still alive — especially given the near-term
            temporal indicators in the very context of this statement (Rev. 1, 3). The events
            of AD 70 present us with a most perfect, relevant, and compelling fit.

            The Ultimate Focus of the Judgment
            But there is more! Revelation 1:7 also states that: "all the tribes of
            the earth will mourn over him." Who are these "tribes of the earth"? And why do
            they "mourn"?
            The reader must understand that the Greek word translated "earth" (ge)
            can also be translated "land." In fact, it often refers to "the land of Israel,"
            i.e., "the Promised Land." In a number of places in the New Testament this
            word speaks either of the Promised Land as a whole, or some portion of it. In
            those places we find it in such phrases as "the land of Judah" (Matt. 2:6), "the
            land of Judea" (John 3:22), "the land of Israel" (Matt. 2:20, 21), "the land
            of Zebulun" (Matt. 4:15), "the land of Naphtali" (Matt. 4:15), and "the land
            of the Jews" (Acts 10:39). Thus, upon purely lexical considerations, the term
            can be understood as designating the Promised Land.
            When we note that this "land" contains "tribes," we move even closer to
            the proper interpretation. The Greek word for "tribe" is phule, which in
            Scripture most frequently refers to the Jewish tribes. The New Testament often names
            particular "tribes" of Israel: Asher (Luke 2:36); Benjamin (Act 13:21; Rom
            11:1; Phil 3:5); Judah (Rev. 5:5; Heb 7:14). The "tribes" found their home in
            Palestine; these are "the tribes of the land" Revelation 1:7 mentions. John's
            reference to the "tribe of Judah" in Revelation 5:5 clearly points to the
            tribal division among racial Jews. The term "tribe" obviously has that racial
            import in Revelation 7:4-8 (where it is used of each of the specifically named
            Twelve Tribes) and in Revelation 21:12 (where John refers to "the twelve tribes of
            the children of Israel").
            As a matter or fact, literal translations of the Scripture lean in this
            direction:
            "Lo, he doth come with the clouds, and see him shall every eye, even
            those who did pierce him, and wail because of him shall all the tribes of the
            land. Yes! Amen!"
            "Behold he comes with the clouds, and will see him every eye and
            [those] who him pierced, and will wail over him all the tribes of the land. Yes,
            amen."
            This not only fits nicely with the near-term temporal indicators, but
            also Jesus' warnings of impending judgment upon Israel. Notice three examples
            from Luke (in addition to the parables mentioned previously in Matthew):
            "And when He approached, He saw the city and wept over it, saying,
            'If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But
            now they have been hidden from your eyes. For the days shall come upon you when
            your enemies will throw up a bank before you, and surround you, and hem you in
            on every side, and will level you to the ground and your children within you,
            and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not
            recognize the time of your visitation'" (Luke 19:41-44).

            See also: Luke 21:20-22 and 23:28-31.
            The evidence for an AD 70 meaning of Revelation 1:7 is becoming
            insurmountable. John's theme in Revelation is Israel's judgment for rejecting the Lord
            Jesus Christ.

            The Particular Parallel in the Gospels

            Interestingly, Revelation 1:7 finds a remarkable parallel in the Lord's
            teaching in the Olivet Discourse. Observe the similarities between Revelation
            1:7 and Matthew 24:30, noting particularly the italicized words:

            "Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all
            the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming
            on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory." (Matt. 24:30)

            "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him,
            even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him.
            Even so. Amen." (Rev. 1:7)

            Both of these verses are unique in Scripture in merging portions of
            Daniel 7:13 and Zechariah 12:10. John draws the "coming on the clouds" imagery from
            Daniel, and the "mourning of the tribes" from Zechariah. No other passage in
            Scripture merges these two verses.

            Furthermore, both of the prophetic discourses in which we find these
            verses speak of "the great tribulation" (Matt. 24:21 and Rev. 7:14). And most
            commentators note the parallel between Matthew 24:6-11 and the first four seals in
            Revelation 6:1-8. And both prophecies are associated somehow with the Temple
            of God (Matt. 24:1-3, 15 and Rev. 11:1-2). In fact, we should note that Luke's
            version of the Lord's teaching appears to be the source of John's language in
            Revelation 11 (note especially the italicized portions):

            "They will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive
            into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles
            until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled." (Luke 21:24)

            "And leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not
            measure it, for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot
            the holy city for forty-two months." (Rev. 11:2)

            Interestingly, John's Gospel lacks the Olivet Discourse which is found in the
            other three Gospels — perhaps because John covers the same material in
            another work, Revelation.

            Now remarkably for our purposes, both prophecies also expressly focus on
            near-term events. I show above that John insists his Revelation prophecies
            "must shortly come to pass" (Rev. 1:1; 22:6) "for the time is near" (Rev. 1:3;
            22:10). In Matthew, the Olivet Discourse opens with Christ's denouncing the
            Temple (Matt. 23:38) and the disciples pointing out the current Temple's beauty
            (Matt. 24:1). Jesus responds to their wonder by stating: "Do you not see all
            these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here shall be left upon another,
            which will not be torn down" (Matt. 24:2), to which the disciples reply: "Tell
            us, when will these things be?" (Matt. 24:3). After providing them with
            precursory signs, he finally answers their question: "Truly I say to you, this
            generation will not pass away until all these things take place" (Matt. 24:34),
            which happens to match very nicely with John's assertion that these things "must
            shortly take place." And we know from history that that very Temple was
            destroyed in AD 70, just forty years after Jesus spoke.

            Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th.M., Th.D.
            <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A>
            "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

            Revelation Commentary Project
            If you would like to give toward funding my research on
            Revelation please go to <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A> then click
            on "Revelation Commentary Project."

            New releases
            Gentry, Covenantal Theonomy: A Response to T. David
            Gordon and Klinean Covenantalism (241 pp; paperback)

            Gentry, He Shall Have Dominion: A Postmillennial Eschatology
            (reprint of Second Edition) (600+ pp; paperback)

          • hubbes.laszlo
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 15, 2006
              I cannot pronounce myself on this special issue, since I'm not a
              specialist in this aspect of the Revelation, but this is a good
              opportunity for me to try to catch the attention again on the next
              year's joint SBL-EABS conference in Wien, which will have a special
              session organized around the theme of the Revelation in the section
              "Early Christianity between Hellenism and Judaism". Maybe somebody
              would be interested in submitting a paper to it. Anyone intrerested in
              the issue, should contact Michael Labahn at am.labahn@... and
              visit the EABS-homepage at http://www.eurassbibstudies.group.shef.ac.uk
              I'm not insisting on it, just take the chance of this discussion, and
              post again the call for papers, maybe there is somebody who just
              haven't noticed the first time.

              Hubbes Laszlo
              doctorand, Babes-Bolyai University Cluj, Romania

              P.S. I'll defend my thesis on Apocalyptic in november, please pray for me.