Re: [revelation-list] Re: Rev 2:9; 3:9

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
      Since the whole Church is represented by the innumerable multitude and the two groups are clearly distinguished, I don't think it likely that the 144,000 would also represent the Church. The rest of the book seems to be against that.

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
        Twice John sees the world in a two part taxonomy of Jews and Gentiles: 7.1-9
        (144,000 from Israel and innumerable Gentiles) and 14.1-6 (144,000 on Mt
        Zion and a different angel proclaiming good news to the nations). The
        history of trying to make the two part taxonomy of how John sees the world
        into a three part taxonomy matching the way later Christian interpreters see
        the world shows clearly the ingenuity by which the the Bible treated as
        scripture can be made into the something nearly opposite to ancient texts
        treated as objects of historical investigation.

        --jwm
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
          No, I don't think the author of the Apocalypse means that when a Jew calls himself a Jew he is lying. What I think he is saying is that the then current representatives of Judaism were not true to the tradition of Judaism (as the author conceived it, of course). Since the Church viewed itself as the legitimate successor to the religion of the OT, anything which did not tend toward its viewpoint was ipso facto a deviation from the religion of the OT and its proponents heretics (perhaps a reaction to the "blessing" of the Nazorenes reputed to have been a part of the 18 benedictions?).

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
            When the identities of the "Jews" and the 144,00 are considered, one
            issue to be addressed is how John understood the source and nature of
            the conflict the churches were encountering. If the "Jews" were the
            gathering of the adversary, who was the adversary from John's point of
            view? The Jews, the Romans, gentiles in general? Or, was the source of
            the conflict inside the church and not external to it (cf. Duff's "Who
            Rides the Beast?")? One certain opponent of John was Jezebel. Could
            the "gathering of the adversary" have been Jezebel's group of
            followers? Further, since the 144,000 had not defiled themselves with
            women, might they not have been a symbolic representation of those
            among the churches who had rejected both Jezebel and her teaching and
            remained faithful to John and the gospel he taught? If sarcasm (and
            parody, by the way) were a part of John's strategy, could he not have
            been slandering Jezebel (beyond the use of a slanderous name)?

            Edmond Long
          • Robert Dalrymple
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
              I agree that the Jews in Rev 2:9 are ethnic jews. As for the two groups in Rev 7, I have recently published an Article in Biblica 86 (2005) 396-406 titled 'These are the Ones.' Here I argued that the two groups in Rev 7--the 144,000 and the innumerable multitude--are indeed the same based on literary and thematic issues.

              Rob Dalrymple

              Since the whole Church is represented by the innumerable multitude and the two groups are clearly distinguished, I don't think it likely that the 144,000 would also represent the Church. The rest of the book seems to be against that.

              Some commentators see the 144,000 as another way of viewing the whole
              church, i.e. under the image of the ancient Israelite tribes numbered
              for battle, which helps explain their virginity, etc in ch.14. John
              hears the number 144,000 but then sees an innumerable multitude, just
              as in ch.5 he hears of the lion of Judah and sees the lamb as if
              slain, two images for the same reality. Bauckham has some good
              material on the militant imagery.

              The Jews of Rev.2:9 and 3:9 I agree are ethnic Jews, or more
              precisely, non-Christian synagogues, which may also include
              proselytes. By their rejection of the Messiah Jesus they become for
              John a synagogue of Satan.

              Jon Newton, Ph.D. cand.
              Tabor College NSW, Australia

              --- In revelation-list@ yahoogroups. com, "drjenney2" <drjenney@.. .> wrote:

              > I agree [ethnic Jews], though there is a related question here, still
              > unanswered in my own mind.
              >
              > The Apocalypse clearly understands the "people of God" to be comprised
              > of two groups: "the 144,000" ["ethnic Jews"] and the "great
              > multitude"[" from every nation.." (Gentiles)].
              >
              > My question is are these groups divided primarily by ethnicity or
              > covenant? That is, are the "144,000" comprised only of Jews "saved" in
              > the OT and the "great multitude" composed of everyone saved under the
              > new covenant [including Jews]? Or are the 144,000, all Jews,
              > irregardless of covenant, and the great multitude all Gentiles, again
              > irregardless of whether they were "saved" in the OT [like Naaman,
              > Rahab, etc.] or the NT?
              >
              > Anyone got any thoughts on this question?
              >
              > Tim Jenney
              > Adj. Prof, NT
              > Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando

            • David Scholer
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                For what it is worth, I agree. I will look for Rob's article, which I had
                not seen. The discussion of this whole issue has been fun. As G. K.
                Chesterton said (in Orthodoxy): St. John saw many strange creatures in this
                visions, but none so strange as his commentators!

                David M. Scholer

                Professsor of New Testament and Associate Dean for the Center for Advanced
                Theological Studies

                Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena CA 91182

                626-584-5288; dscholer@...

                Some commentators see the 144,000 as another way of viewing the whole

                church, i.e. under the image of the ancient Israelite tribes numbered

                for battle, which helps explain their virginity, etc in ch.14. John

                hears the number 144,000 but then sees an innumerable multitude, just

                as in ch.5 he hears of the lion of Judah and sees the lamb as if

                slain, two images for the same reality. Bauckham has some good

                material on the militant imagery.

                The Jews of Rev.2:9 and 3:9 I agree are ethnic Jews, or more

                precisely, non-Christian synagogues, which may also include

                proselytes. By their rejection of the Messiah Jesus they become for

                John a synagogue of Satan.

                Jon Newton, Ph.D. cand.

                Tabor College NSW, Australia

                --- In revelation-list@ yahoogroups. com, "drjenney2" <drjenney@.. .> wrote:

                > I agree [ethnic Jews], though there is a related question here, still

                > unanswered in my own mind.

                > The Apocalypse clearly understands the "people of God" to be comprised

                > of two groups: "the 144,000" ["ethnic Jews"] and the "great

                > multitude"[" from every nation.." (Gentiles)].

                > My question is are these groups divided primarily by ethnicity or

                > covenant? That is, are the "144,000" comprised only of Jews "saved" in

                > the OT and the "great multitude" composed of everyone saved under the

                > new covenant [including Jews]? Or are the 144,000, all Jews,

                > irregardless of covenant, and the great multitude all Gentiles, again

                > irregardless of whether they were "saved" in the OT [like Naaman,

                > Rahab, etc.] or the NT?

                > Anyone got any thoughts on this question?

                > Tim Jenney

                > Adj. Prof, NT

                > Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando

                Individual Email | Traditional

                (Yahoo! ID required)

                mailto:revelation-list-digest@yahoogroups.com

                mailto:revelation-list-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Ramsey Michaels
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                  Isn't that just a more polite way of saying the same thing?

                  Alternatively, if those who say they are Jews and are not are actually
                  Judaizing Gentiles, then John is telling the literal truth: they are lying
                  in claiming to be Jews.

                  In the very city to which Rev 3:9 is directed, notice Ignatius' polemic
                  against Gentiles who preach Judaism (Philadelphians 6.1; see also Magnesians
                  10.3).

                  Ramsey Michaels

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                    Almost, but not quite. The difference is that those whom he labels "as not being Jews are probably the more negative ones.

                  • KennethGentry@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                      In a message dated 10/13/2006 3:10:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                      ottoerlend@... writes:

                      > "I have a brief paper on 1:7 from this perspective that I could post
                      > on revelation-list if anyone would like for me to."
                      >
                      > I would very much like you to post this paper. Thanks!

                      "EVEN THOSE WHO PIERCED HIM"

                      Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th.D.

                      Revelation is the most difficult book to interpret in all of Scripture.
                      And it becomes even more difficult when would-be exegetes overlook its stated
                      theme. Anytime we endeavor to understand a work, we must seek to do so on the
                      basis of the original author's theme. This is especially true when the author
                      states his theme — as the Apostle John does in Revelation.

                      As with the temporal indicators provided in Revelation 1:1 and 3, John
                      places his thematic statement early in his prophecy. In fact, it appears in his
                      seventh verse (in our modern versions):

                      "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even
                      those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him.
                      Even so. Amen" (Rev. 1:7).

                      The initial impression this verse leaves on us today is the conviction
                      that John is speaking of the Second Advent. It certainly does involve language
                      quite applicable to the future, glorious, history-ending Second Coming of
                      Christ. The Scriptures speak often of his Second Coming, and even with this sort of
                      cloud-coming judgment language (cp. Acts 1:9-11; 1 Thess. 4:16-17; 2 Thess.
                      1:7-10). And the historic, universal Christian Church has always affirmed that
                      majestic event.

                      Yet looks are deceiving. Despite this reasonable first impression, strong
                      evidence compels us to interpret Revelation 1:7 differently. I believe this
                      verse presents us with a judgment prophecy against first century Jerusalem,
                      whose destruction occurs in AD 70. John's theme looks to the approaching
                      devastation of the Temple and Jerusalem under the Roman generals Vespasian and Titus.
                      In that this interpretation of John's theme is not immediately obvious and is
                      quite unfamiliar to most modern Christians, I will need to defend it in some
                      detail.

                      Several compelling reasons move us away from a Second Advent
                      interpretation to an AD 70 one. I will prsent eight lines of evidence supporting a first
                      century interpretation.

                      The Preceding Context of the Theme
                      Perhaps the leading interpretive principle for understanding any document
                      can be summarized in three words: "Context. Context. Context." Before we
                      arrive at Revelation 1:7 upon opening John's book, we must pass through verses 1
                      and 3. These two verses emphatically declare that the events expected in
                      Revelation "must shortly take place" (Rev. 1:1) because "the time is near" (Rev.
                      1:3).
                      We must carefully note that not only does John declare the events of his
                      book near, but in those nearness declarations he relates his purpose, applying
                      it to his first century audience. Revelation 1:1 informs the original
                      recipients that he is writing about "the things which must shortly take place" (Rev.
                      1:1). One would think that if he is writing about "the things which must
                      shortly take place" this would involve his very theme. It would be strikingly odd
                      if John were to declare temporal nearness for the very purpose of his writing,
                      then give a theme which reached thousands of years beyond his day. After all,
                      does not he declare the nearness of "the time" as reason why his first century
                      readers must read, hear, and "heed the things which are written in it" (Rev.
                      1:3)? Why would he urge their heeding the things written, if his thematic
                      purpose lies untold centuries in the future?
                      So then, just four verses before John states the theme of Revelation, he
                      declares the events near and applies them to us original audience.

                      The Following Context of the Theme

                      Not only does John introduce his theme in a way demanding its fast
                      approaching fulfillment, but just two verses after stating it he applies it to the
                      grueling circumstances of his original readers: "I, John, your brother and
                      fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance which are in
                      Jesus, was on the island called Patmos, because of the word of God and the
                      testimony of Jesus" (Rev. 1:9).

                      John is ministering to a persecuted minority: God's concern with those
                      suffering for the faith in the first century is a major, recurring theme running
                      throughout Revelation (Rev. 2:9-10; 3:9-10; 6:9-12; 13:5-7; 14:13; 20:4).
                      Surely he is not telling these persecuted saints that the time is near, that they
                      must heed that which he is writing, that God is concerned with theirr
                      persecution — but he will avenge his people thousands of years in the future?
                      Revelation 1:7 must apply to the first century circumstances.

                      The Apocalyptic Language in the Prophecy
                      John frames his thematic statement in apocalyptic imagery by speaking of
                      Christ "coming with the clouds" (Rev. 1:7). And though this sounds like the
                      Second Advent, and though that glorious event will be literally "with the
                      clouds," we find this type of language can be used symbolically of divine historical
                      judgments other than the Second Coming. Anyone reading Revelation quickly
                      recognizes that he is in a work with strange imagery. And that imagery must often
                      be understood symbolically. I believe such is true here in our theme verse as
                      well. Let us note just two examples of apocalyptic imagery used of historical
                      events.
                      In Isaiah 19 we find a warning to Old Testament Egypt. In that prophecy
                      God threatens judgment upon that ancient nation, a judgment which transpires
                      when the Assyrian king Esarhaddon conquered Egypt in 671 B.C. Yet notice the
                      language Isaiah employs: "The oracle concerning Egypt. Behold, the Lord is riding
                      on a swift cloud, and is about to come to Egypt; the idols of Egypt will
                      tremble at His presence, and the heart of the Egyptians will melt within them"
                      (Isa. 19:1). Clearly the prophecy applies to Egypt. And just as clearly it claims
                      the Lord "is about to come" to Egypt. Yet no interpreter believes the
                      Egyptians saw God Almighty sitting on a cloud and descending among them in judgment.
                      In Matthew 26 the Lord Jesus himself uses this language in speaking of
                      his judgment against Israel in AD 70:
                      "And the high priest stood up and said to Him, 'Do You make no
                      answer? What is it that these men are testifying against You?' But Jesus kept
                      silent. And the high priest said to Him, 'I adjure You by the living God, that You
                      tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.' Jesus said to him, 'You
                      have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you shall see the Son
                      of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of
                      heaven.'"
                      Verse 64 is similar to Revelation 1:7: "you shall see the Son of Man sitting
                      at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." And note that
                      he is speaking to the high priest and those gathered around him: "you shall
                      see." This must refer to the AD 70 judgment, which is prophesied in several
                      places by Christ (see particularly Matt. 21:33-34; 22:1-7; 24:1-34), and which
                      would be witnessed by many of those who stood against Christ on that day.
                      So then, Revelation 1:7 can be applied to the historical judgment
                      befalling Israel in AD 70. Nothing in Scripture prohibits such an apocalyptic
                      rendering. As the evidence mounts, we will be driven to that very conclusion.

                      The Lord's Prior Teaching on the Subject
                      In the preceding evidence I mentioned as an aside that Christ himself
                      employs apocalyptic judgment-coming language when referring to the approaching
                      destruction of the Temple. Let us look a little more closely at this phenomenon
                      as we unpack the meaning of Revelation 1:7.
                      In Matthew 21:33-48 Jesus presents the Parable of the Vineyard Owner. In
                      that parable we have a picture of God's loving blessings upon Israel over the
                      centuries (21:33-34). But God's providential care of Israel is portrayed
                      against the backdrop of her stubborn disobedience leading her to kill the prophets
                      whom God sent to her (21:35-36). Finally God sends his very son, only to have
                      Israel kill him (21:37-40). Based on this parable Jesus asks the religious
                      leaders of Israel: "Therefore when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he
                      do to those vine-growers?" (21:40).
                      Israel's leaders unwittingly respond to his query: "They said to Him, 'He
                      will bring those wretches to a wretched end, and will rent out the vineyard
                      to other vine-growers, who will pay him the proceeds at the proper seasons'"
                      (21:41). He shocks them by catching them in their own words: "Therefore I say to
                      you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you, and be given to a nation
                      producing the fruit of it. And he who falls on this stone will be broken to
                      pieces; but on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust" (21:43-44).
                      They then understand his point: "And when the chief priests and the Pharisees
                      heard His parables, they understood that He was speaking about them" (21:45).
                      This parable and its consequent discussion look to the AD 70 destruction
                      of the Temple, speaking of the AD 70 judgment as a "coming" of the Lord: "when
                      the owner of the vineyard comes" (21:40). In the following context another
                      parable speaks more literally: "But the king was enraged and sent his armies,
                      and destroyed those murderers, and set their city on fire" (Matt. 22:7).
                      Clearly then, Revelation 1:7 can at least theoretically be applied to AD
                      70. And given its contextual setting (and other matters I will rehearse
                      below), this is the preferred understanding of John's theme.

                      The Specific Cause of the Judgment

                      Having established the context and the possibilities, we must now focus
                      on the express wording of Revelation 1:7. John applies the prophecy
                      particularly against "those who pierced him": "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and
                      every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the
                      earth will mourn over Him. Even so. Amen" (Rev. 1:7). This provides a clue for
                      the proper interpretation of the theme which is as overlooked as the clues
                      regarding John's temporal expectations.

                      We are all aware that the Roman soldiers were the direct, physical
                      instruments of Christ's crucifixion. The Bible, however, strongly and repeatedly
                      emphasizes Israel's covenantal responsibility for the whole terrible event. I
                      will list several verses that point directly to Israel as the cause of Christ's
                      crucifixion (in a later chapter we will see how relevant this is to the message
                      of Israel).

                      "And all the people answered and said, 'His blood be on us and on our
                      children!'" (Matt. 27:25).

                      "They therefore cried out, 'Away with Him, away with Him, crucify
                      Him!' Pilate said to them, 'Shall I crucify your King?' The chief priests
                      answered, 'We have no king but Caesar'" (John 19:15).

                      "This Man, delivered up by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge
                      of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death"
                      (Acts 2:23).

                      "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by
                      hanging Him on a cross" (Acts 5:30).

                      See also: Acts 7:52; 10:39; 13:13-15; 1 Thess. 2:14-16.

                      The unrelenting testimony of the New Testament blames Israel for Christ's
                      death. She is covenantally responsible; she should have known better (Matt.
                      23:37; John 1:11). So then, Revelation 1:7 promises judgment upon "those who
                      pierced him," which demands that that judgment fall in the first century while
                      "those who pierced him" were still alive — especially given the near-term
                      temporal indicators in the very context of this statement (Rev. 1, 3). The events
                      of AD 70 present us with a most perfect, relevant, and compelling fit.

                      The Ultimate Focus of the Judgment
                      But there is more! Revelation 1:7 also states that: "all the tribes of
                      the earth will mourn over him." Who are these "tribes of the earth"? And why do
                      they "mourn"?
                      The reader must understand that the Greek word translated "earth" (ge)
                      can also be translated "land." In fact, it often refers to "the land of Israel,"
                      i.e., "the Promised Land." In a number of places in the New Testament this
                      word speaks either of the Promised Land as a whole, or some portion of it. In
                      those places we find it in such phrases as "the land of Judah" (Matt. 2:6), "the
                      land of Judea" (John 3:22), "the land of Israel" (Matt. 2:20, 21), "the land
                      of Zebulun" (Matt. 4:15), "the land of Naphtali" (Matt. 4:15), and "the land
                      of the Jews" (Acts 10:39). Thus, upon purely lexical considerations, the term
                      can be understood as designating the Promised Land.
                      When we note that this "land" contains "tribes," we move even closer to
                      the proper interpretation. The Greek word for "tribe" is phule, which in
                      Scripture most frequently refers to the Jewish tribes. The New Testament often names
                      particular "tribes" of Israel: Asher (Luke 2:36); Benjamin (Act 13:21; Rom
                      11:1; Phil 3:5); Judah (Rev. 5:5; Heb 7:14). The "tribes" found their home in
                      Palestine; these are "the tribes of the land" Revelation 1:7 mentions. John's
                      reference to the "tribe of Judah" in Revelation 5:5 clearly points to the
                      tribal division among racial Jews. The term "tribe" obviously has that racial
                      import in Revelation 7:4-8 (where it is used of each of the specifically named
                      Twelve Tribes) and in Revelation 21:12 (where John refers to "the twelve tribes of
                      the children of Israel").
                      As a matter or fact, literal translations of the Scripture lean in this
                      direction:
                      "Lo, he doth come with the clouds, and see him shall every eye, even
                      those who did pierce him, and wail because of him shall all the tribes of the
                      land. Yes! Amen!"
                      "Behold he comes with the clouds, and will see him every eye and
                      [those] who him pierced, and will wail over him all the tribes of the land. Yes,
                      amen."
                      This not only fits nicely with the near-term temporal indicators, but
                      also Jesus' warnings of impending judgment upon Israel. Notice three examples
                      from Luke (in addition to the parables mentioned previously in Matthew):
                      "And when He approached, He saw the city and wept over it, saying,
                      'If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But
                      now they have been hidden from your eyes. For the days shall come upon you when
                      your enemies will throw up a bank before you, and surround you, and hem you in
                      on every side, and will level you to the ground and your children within you,
                      and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not
                      recognize the time of your visitation'" (Luke 19:41-44).

                      See also: Luke 21:20-22 and 23:28-31.
                      The evidence for an AD 70 meaning of Revelation 1:7 is becoming
                      insurmountable. John's theme in Revelation is Israel's judgment for rejecting the Lord
                      Jesus Christ.

                      The Particular Parallel in the Gospels

                      Interestingly, Revelation 1:7 finds a remarkable parallel in the Lord's
                      teaching in the Olivet Discourse. Observe the similarities between Revelation
                      1:7 and Matthew 24:30, noting particularly the italicized words:

                      "Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all
                      the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming
                      on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory." (Matt. 24:30)

                      "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him,
                      even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him.
                      Even so. Amen." (Rev. 1:7)

                      Both of these verses are unique in Scripture in merging portions of
                      Daniel 7:13 and Zechariah 12:10. John draws the "coming on the clouds" imagery from
                      Daniel, and the "mourning of the tribes" from Zechariah. No other passage in
                      Scripture merges these two verses.

                      Furthermore, both of the prophetic discourses in which we find these
                      verses speak of "the great tribulation" (Matt. 24:21 and Rev. 7:14). And most
                      commentators note the parallel between Matthew 24:6-11 and the first four seals in
                      Revelation 6:1-8. And both prophecies are associated somehow with the Temple
                      of God (Matt. 24:1-3, 15 and Rev. 11:1-2). In fact, we should note that Luke's
                      version of the Lord's teaching appears to be the source of John's language in
                      Revelation 11 (note especially the italicized portions):

                      "They will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive
                      into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles
                      until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled." (Luke 21:24)

                      "And leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not
                      measure it, for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot
                      the holy city for forty-two months." (Rev. 11:2)

                      Interestingly, John's Gospel lacks the Olivet Discourse which is found in the
                      other three Gospels — perhaps because John covers the same material in
                      another work, Revelation.

                      Now remarkably for our purposes, both prophecies also expressly focus on
                      near-term events. I show above that John insists his Revelation prophecies
                      "must shortly come to pass" (Rev. 1:1; 22:6) "for the time is near" (Rev. 1:3;
                      22:10). In Matthew, the Olivet Discourse opens with Christ's denouncing the
                      Temple (Matt. 23:38) and the disciples pointing out the current Temple's beauty
                      (Matt. 24:1). Jesus responds to their wonder by stating: "Do you not see all
                      these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here shall be left upon another,
                      which will not be torn down" (Matt. 24:2), to which the disciples reply: "Tell
                      us, when will these things be?" (Matt. 24:3). After providing them with
                      precursory signs, he finally answers their question: "Truly I say to you, this
                      generation will not pass away until all these things take place" (Matt. 24:34),
                      which happens to match very nicely with John's assertion that these things "must
                      shortly take place." And we know from history that that very Temple was
                      destroyed in AD 70, just forty years after Jesus spoke.

                      Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th.M., Th.D.
                      <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A>
                      "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

                      Revelation Commentary Project
                      If you would like to give toward funding my research on
                      Revelation please go to <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A> then click
                      on "Revelation Commentary Project."

                      New releases
                      Gentry, Covenantal Theonomy: A Response to T. David
                      Gordon and Klinean Covenantalism (241 pp; paperback)

                      Gentry, He Shall Have Dominion: A Postmillennial Eschatology
                      (reprint of Second Edition) (600+ pp; paperback)

                    • hubbes.laszlo
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 15, 2006
                        I cannot pronounce myself on this special issue, since I'm not a
                        specialist in this aspect of the Revelation, but this is a good
                        opportunity for me to try to catch the attention again on the next
                        year's joint SBL-EABS conference in Wien, which will have a special
                        session organized around the theme of the Revelation in the section
                        "Early Christianity between Hellenism and Judaism". Maybe somebody
                        would be interested in submitting a paper to it. Anyone intrerested in
                        the issue, should contact Michael Labahn at am.labahn@... and
                        visit the EABS-homepage at http://www.eurassbibstudies.group.shef.ac.uk
                        I'm not insisting on it, just take the chance of this discussion, and
                        post again the call for papers, maybe there is somebody who just
                        haven't noticed the first time.

                        Hubbes Laszlo
                        doctorand, Babes-Bolyai University Cluj, Romania

                        P.S. I'll defend my thesis on Apocalyptic in november, please pray for me.