RE: [revelation-list] Rev 2:9; 3:9

  • John W. Marshall
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
      Colleagues,

      David Barr's helpful reference to very recent (too recent for libraries at
      my institution) articles from Friesen and Duff has helped turn the
      converstion away from unsupported assumptions about clear distinction of
      Judaism from Christianity and mutual hostility between John and other Jews.

      My own take on it is expressed in Parables of War: Reading John's Jewish
      Apocalypse (Waterloo: 2002):

      And so I read the "synagogue of Satan" as referring to a group of people who
      do not stand in opposition to Rome and the wider Greco-Roman culture in the
      way John does. Given the problems of translating names, I could justifiably
      translate sunagwgh\ tou= Satana as "gathering of the adversary." The
      questions of Jew and Christian that interpreters ask of Rev 2:9 and 3:9 are
      not the questions that occupy John in the messages to the angels of the
      seven assemblies. This makes it difficult to say who his adversaries are in
      terms of a Jew/Christian/Pagan/Godfearer scheme. But to press forward with
      the question here in spite of John's evident lack of interest in it, it
      seems that John's concerns about integration with Greco-Roman religion and
      culture as well as his concerns about using the term "Jew" suggest that the
      group he opposes consists of a mixture of Pagan Godfearers and comfortably
      Hellenizing Jews who welcome the Godfearers without requiring a substantial
      (in John's eyes) separation from Greco-Roman culture in either themselves or
      their adherents. <outbind://9/#_ftn1> [1]

      _____

      <outbind://9/#_ftnref1> [1] As noted, the exceptions are Gager (1983:
      132), Shepherd (1971), and Wilson (1992: 614-15; 1995: 163). Kraft suggests
      that John's polemic in Rev 2:9 and 3:9 is undertaken within the "church"
      over issues of syncretism (1974: 60-61). Stephen G. Wilson's quotation of
      Dio Cassius provides a very concrete example of the judaizing phenomenon:
      "This title [I|oudai=oj] is also borne by other persons who, although they
      are of other ethnicity, live by their laws" (fe/rei de\ kai\ e)pi\ tou\j
      a)/llouj a)nqrw/pouj o(/soi ta\ no/mima au)tw=n, kai/per a)lloeqnei=j
      o)/ntej, zhlou=si. Roman History 37.16.4) The unreliability to which Dio
      witnesses for the title "Jew" would apply even more to the less specific
      term sunagwgh/.

      _____________________________________
      John W. Marshall
      Assistant Professor
      Department for the Study of Religion
      University of Toronto

      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3221869/grpspId=1705082179/msgId
      =859/stime=1160751314/nc1=3848518/nc2=3848576/nc3=3848568>

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
        I would take that as referring to ethnic Jews who opposed the Church. Remember that after Jamnia there was considerable antipathy for Christians. I believe Bar Kochba also martyred some Christians. I'm probably alone on the list in not viewing Bar Kochba as an anacronism to the Apocalypse.

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
          Since the whole Church is represented by the innumerable multitude and the two groups are clearly distinguished, I don't think it likely that the 144,000 would also represent the Church. The rest of the book seems to be against that.

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
            Twice John sees the world in a two part taxonomy of Jews and Gentiles: 7.1-9
            (144,000 from Israel and innumerable Gentiles) and 14.1-6 (144,000 on Mt
            Zion and a different angel proclaiming good news to the nations). The
            history of trying to make the two part taxonomy of how John sees the world
            into a three part taxonomy matching the way later Christian interpreters see
            the world shows clearly the ingenuity by which the the Bible treated as
            scripture can be made into the something nearly opposite to ancient texts
            treated as objects of historical investigation.

            --jwm
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
              No, I don't think the author of the Apocalypse means that when a Jew calls himself a Jew he is lying. What I think he is saying is that the then current representatives of Judaism were not true to the tradition of Judaism (as the author conceived it, of course). Since the Church viewed itself as the legitimate successor to the religion of the OT, anything which did not tend toward its viewpoint was ipso facto a deviation from the religion of the OT and its proponents heretics (perhaps a reaction to the "blessing" of the Nazorenes reputed to have been a part of the 18 benedictions?).

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                When the identities of the "Jews" and the 144,00 are considered, one
                issue to be addressed is how John understood the source and nature of
                the conflict the churches were encountering. If the "Jews" were the
                gathering of the adversary, who was the adversary from John's point of
                view? The Jews, the Romans, gentiles in general? Or, was the source of
                the conflict inside the church and not external to it (cf. Duff's "Who
                Rides the Beast?")? One certain opponent of John was Jezebel. Could
                the "gathering of the adversary" have been Jezebel's group of
                followers? Further, since the 144,000 had not defiled themselves with
                women, might they not have been a symbolic representation of those
                among the churches who had rejected both Jezebel and her teaching and
                remained faithful to John and the gospel he taught? If sarcasm (and
                parody, by the way) were a part of John's strategy, could he not have
                been slandering Jezebel (beyond the use of a slanderous name)?

                Edmond Long
              • Robert Dalrymple
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                  I agree that the Jews in Rev 2:9 are ethnic jews. As for the two groups in Rev 7, I have recently published an Article in Biblica 86 (2005) 396-406 titled 'These are the Ones.' Here I argued that the two groups in Rev 7--the 144,000 and the innumerable multitude--are indeed the same based on literary and thematic issues.

                  Rob Dalrymple

                  Since the whole Church is represented by the innumerable multitude and the two groups are clearly distinguished, I don't think it likely that the 144,000 would also represent the Church. The rest of the book seems to be against that.

                  Some commentators see the 144,000 as another way of viewing the whole
                  church, i.e. under the image of the ancient Israelite tribes numbered
                  for battle, which helps explain their virginity, etc in ch.14. John
                  hears the number 144,000 but then sees an innumerable multitude, just
                  as in ch.5 he hears of the lion of Judah and sees the lamb as if
                  slain, two images for the same reality. Bauckham has some good
                  material on the militant imagery.

                  The Jews of Rev.2:9 and 3:9 I agree are ethnic Jews, or more
                  precisely, non-Christian synagogues, which may also include
                  proselytes. By their rejection of the Messiah Jesus they become for
                  John a synagogue of Satan.

                  Jon Newton, Ph.D. cand.
                  Tabor College NSW, Australia

                  --- In revelation-list@ yahoogroups. com, "drjenney2" <drjenney@.. .> wrote:

                  > I agree [ethnic Jews], though there is a related question here, still
                  > unanswered in my own mind.
                  >
                  > The Apocalypse clearly understands the "people of God" to be comprised
                  > of two groups: "the 144,000" ["ethnic Jews"] and the "great
                  > multitude"[" from every nation.." (Gentiles)].
                  >
                  > My question is are these groups divided primarily by ethnicity or
                  > covenant? That is, are the "144,000" comprised only of Jews "saved" in
                  > the OT and the "great multitude" composed of everyone saved under the
                  > new covenant [including Jews]? Or are the 144,000, all Jews,
                  > irregardless of covenant, and the great multitude all Gentiles, again
                  > irregardless of whether they were "saved" in the OT [like Naaman,
                  > Rahab, etc.] or the NT?
                  >
                  > Anyone got any thoughts on this question?
                  >
                  > Tim Jenney
                  > Adj. Prof, NT
                  > Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando

                • David Scholer
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                    For what it is worth, I agree. I will look for Rob's article, which I had
                    not seen. The discussion of this whole issue has been fun. As G. K.
                    Chesterton said (in Orthodoxy): St. John saw many strange creatures in this
                    visions, but none so strange as his commentators!

                    David M. Scholer

                    Professsor of New Testament and Associate Dean for the Center for Advanced
                    Theological Studies

                    Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena CA 91182

                    626-584-5288; dscholer@...

                    Some commentators see the 144,000 as another way of viewing the whole

                    church, i.e. under the image of the ancient Israelite tribes numbered

                    for battle, which helps explain their virginity, etc in ch.14. John

                    hears the number 144,000 but then sees an innumerable multitude, just

                    as in ch.5 he hears of the lion of Judah and sees the lamb as if

                    slain, two images for the same reality. Bauckham has some good

                    material on the militant imagery.

                    The Jews of Rev.2:9 and 3:9 I agree are ethnic Jews, or more

                    precisely, non-Christian synagogues, which may also include

                    proselytes. By their rejection of the Messiah Jesus they become for

                    John a synagogue of Satan.

                    Jon Newton, Ph.D. cand.

                    Tabor College NSW, Australia

                    --- In revelation-list@ yahoogroups. com, "drjenney2" <drjenney@.. .> wrote:

                    > I agree [ethnic Jews], though there is a related question here, still

                    > unanswered in my own mind.

                    > The Apocalypse clearly understands the "people of God" to be comprised

                    > of two groups: "the 144,000" ["ethnic Jews"] and the "great

                    > multitude"[" from every nation.." (Gentiles)].

                    > My question is are these groups divided primarily by ethnicity or

                    > covenant? That is, are the "144,000" comprised only of Jews "saved" in

                    > the OT and the "great multitude" composed of everyone saved under the

                    > new covenant [including Jews]? Or are the 144,000, all Jews,

                    > irregardless of covenant, and the great multitude all Gentiles, again

                    > irregardless of whether they were "saved" in the OT [like Naaman,

                    > Rahab, etc.] or the NT?

                    > Anyone got any thoughts on this question?

                    > Tim Jenney

                    > Adj. Prof, NT

                    > Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando

                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    mailto:revelation-list-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    mailto:revelation-list-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • Ramsey Michaels
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                      Isn't that just a more polite way of saying the same thing?

                      Alternatively, if those who say they are Jews and are not are actually
                      Judaizing Gentiles, then John is telling the literal truth: they are lying
                      in claiming to be Jews.

                      In the very city to which Rev 3:9 is directed, notice Ignatius' polemic
                      against Gentiles who preach Judaism (Philadelphians 6.1; see also Magnesians
                      10.3).

                      Ramsey Michaels

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                        Almost, but not quite. The difference is that those whom he labels "as not being Jews are probably the more negative ones.

                      • KennethGentry@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 13, 2006
                          In a message dated 10/13/2006 3:10:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          ottoerlend@... writes:

                          > "I have a brief paper on 1:7 from this perspective that I could post
                          > on revelation-list if anyone would like for me to."
                          >
                          > I would very much like you to post this paper. Thanks!

                          "EVEN THOSE WHO PIERCED HIM"

                          Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th.D.

                          Revelation is the most difficult book to interpret in all of Scripture.
                          And it becomes even more difficult when would-be exegetes overlook its stated
                          theme. Anytime we endeavor to understand a work, we must seek to do so on the
                          basis of the original author's theme. This is especially true when the author
                          states his theme — as the Apostle John does in Revelation.

                          As with the temporal indicators provided in Revelation 1:1 and 3, John
                          places his thematic statement early in his prophecy. In fact, it appears in his
                          seventh verse (in our modern versions):

                          "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him, even
                          those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him.
                          Even so. Amen" (Rev. 1:7).

                          The initial impression this verse leaves on us today is the conviction
                          that John is speaking of the Second Advent. It certainly does involve language
                          quite applicable to the future, glorious, history-ending Second Coming of
                          Christ. The Scriptures speak often of his Second Coming, and even with this sort of
                          cloud-coming judgment language (cp. Acts 1:9-11; 1 Thess. 4:16-17; 2 Thess.
                          1:7-10). And the historic, universal Christian Church has always affirmed that
                          majestic event.

                          Yet looks are deceiving. Despite this reasonable first impression, strong
                          evidence compels us to interpret Revelation 1:7 differently. I believe this
                          verse presents us with a judgment prophecy against first century Jerusalem,
                          whose destruction occurs in AD 70. John's theme looks to the approaching
                          devastation of the Temple and Jerusalem under the Roman generals Vespasian and Titus.
                          In that this interpretation of John's theme is not immediately obvious and is
                          quite unfamiliar to most modern Christians, I will need to defend it in some
                          detail.

                          Several compelling reasons move us away from a Second Advent
                          interpretation to an AD 70 one. I will prsent eight lines of evidence supporting a first
                          century interpretation.

                          The Preceding Context of the Theme
                          Perhaps the leading interpretive principle for understanding any document
                          can be summarized in three words: "Context. Context. Context." Before we
                          arrive at Revelation 1:7 upon opening John's book, we must pass through verses 1
                          and 3. These two verses emphatically declare that the events expected in
                          Revelation "must shortly take place" (Rev. 1:1) because "the time is near" (Rev.
                          1:3).
                          We must carefully note that not only does John declare the events of his
                          book near, but in those nearness declarations he relates his purpose, applying
                          it to his first century audience. Revelation 1:1 informs the original
                          recipients that he is writing about "the things which must shortly take place" (Rev.
                          1:1). One would think that if he is writing about "the things which must
                          shortly take place" this would involve his very theme. It would be strikingly odd
                          if John were to declare temporal nearness for the very purpose of his writing,
                          then give a theme which reached thousands of years beyond his day. After all,
                          does not he declare the nearness of "the time" as reason why his first century
                          readers must read, hear, and "heed the things which are written in it" (Rev.
                          1:3)? Why would he urge their heeding the things written, if his thematic
                          purpose lies untold centuries in the future?
                          So then, just four verses before John states the theme of Revelation, he
                          declares the events near and applies them to us original audience.

                          The Following Context of the Theme

                          Not only does John introduce his theme in a way demanding its fast
                          approaching fulfillment, but just two verses after stating it he applies it to the
                          grueling circumstances of his original readers: "I, John, your brother and
                          fellow partaker in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance which are in
                          Jesus, was on the island called Patmos, because of the word of God and the
                          testimony of Jesus" (Rev. 1:9).

                          John is ministering to a persecuted minority: God's concern with those
                          suffering for the faith in the first century is a major, recurring theme running
                          throughout Revelation (Rev. 2:9-10; 3:9-10; 6:9-12; 13:5-7; 14:13; 20:4).
                          Surely he is not telling these persecuted saints that the time is near, that they
                          must heed that which he is writing, that God is concerned with theirr
                          persecution — but he will avenge his people thousands of years in the future?
                          Revelation 1:7 must apply to the first century circumstances.

                          The Apocalyptic Language in the Prophecy
                          John frames his thematic statement in apocalyptic imagery by speaking of
                          Christ "coming with the clouds" (Rev. 1:7). And though this sounds like the
                          Second Advent, and though that glorious event will be literally "with the
                          clouds," we find this type of language can be used symbolically of divine historical
                          judgments other than the Second Coming. Anyone reading Revelation quickly
                          recognizes that he is in a work with strange imagery. And that imagery must often
                          be understood symbolically. I believe such is true here in our theme verse as
                          well. Let us note just two examples of apocalyptic imagery used of historical
                          events.
                          In Isaiah 19 we find a warning to Old Testament Egypt. In that prophecy
                          God threatens judgment upon that ancient nation, a judgment which transpires
                          when the Assyrian king Esarhaddon conquered Egypt in 671 B.C. Yet notice the
                          language Isaiah employs: "The oracle concerning Egypt. Behold, the Lord is riding
                          on a swift cloud, and is about to come to Egypt; the idols of Egypt will
                          tremble at His presence, and the heart of the Egyptians will melt within them"
                          (Isa. 19:1). Clearly the prophecy applies to Egypt. And just as clearly it claims
                          the Lord "is about to come" to Egypt. Yet no interpreter believes the
                          Egyptians saw God Almighty sitting on a cloud and descending among them in judgment.
                          In Matthew 26 the Lord Jesus himself uses this language in speaking of
                          his judgment against Israel in AD 70:
                          "And the high priest stood up and said to Him, 'Do You make no
                          answer? What is it that these men are testifying against You?' But Jesus kept
                          silent. And the high priest said to Him, 'I adjure You by the living God, that You
                          tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God.' Jesus said to him, 'You
                          have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you shall see the Son
                          of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of
                          heaven.'"
                          Verse 64 is similar to Revelation 1:7: "you shall see the Son of Man sitting
                          at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven." And note that
                          he is speaking to the high priest and those gathered around him: "you shall
                          see." This must refer to the AD 70 judgment, which is prophesied in several
                          places by Christ (see particularly Matt. 21:33-34; 22:1-7; 24:1-34), and which
                          would be witnessed by many of those who stood against Christ on that day.
                          So then, Revelation 1:7 can be applied to the historical judgment
                          befalling Israel in AD 70. Nothing in Scripture prohibits such an apocalyptic
                          rendering. As the evidence mounts, we will be driven to that very conclusion.

                          The Lord's Prior Teaching on the Subject
                          In the preceding evidence I mentioned as an aside that Christ himself
                          employs apocalyptic judgment-coming language when referring to the approaching
                          destruction of the Temple. Let us look a little more closely at this phenomenon
                          as we unpack the meaning of Revelation 1:7.
                          In Matthew 21:33-48 Jesus presents the Parable of the Vineyard Owner. In
                          that parable we have a picture of God's loving blessings upon Israel over the
                          centuries (21:33-34). But God's providential care of Israel is portrayed
                          against the backdrop of her stubborn disobedience leading her to kill the prophets
                          whom God sent to her (21:35-36). Finally God sends his very son, only to have
                          Israel kill him (21:37-40). Based on this parable Jesus asks the religious
                          leaders of Israel: "Therefore when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he
                          do to those vine-growers?" (21:40).
                          Israel's leaders unwittingly respond to his query: "They said to Him, 'He
                          will bring those wretches to a wretched end, and will rent out the vineyard
                          to other vine-growers, who will pay him the proceeds at the proper seasons'"
                          (21:41). He shocks them by catching them in their own words: "Therefore I say to
                          you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you, and be given to a nation
                          producing the fruit of it. And he who falls on this stone will be broken to
                          pieces; but on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust" (21:43-44).
                          They then understand his point: "And when the chief priests and the Pharisees
                          heard His parables, they understood that He was speaking about them" (21:45).
                          This parable and its consequent discussion look to the AD 70 destruction
                          of the Temple, speaking of the AD 70 judgment as a "coming" of the Lord: "when
                          the owner of the vineyard comes" (21:40). In the following context another
                          parable speaks more literally: "But the king was enraged and sent his armies,
                          and destroyed those murderers, and set their city on fire" (Matt. 22:7).
                          Clearly then, Revelation 1:7 can at least theoretically be applied to AD
                          70. And given its contextual setting (and other matters I will rehearse
                          below), this is the preferred understanding of John's theme.

                          The Specific Cause of the Judgment

                          Having established the context and the possibilities, we must now focus
                          on the express wording of Revelation 1:7. John applies the prophecy
                          particularly against "those who pierced him": "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and
                          every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the
                          earth will mourn over Him. Even so. Amen" (Rev. 1:7). This provides a clue for
                          the proper interpretation of the theme which is as overlooked as the clues
                          regarding John's temporal expectations.

                          We are all aware that the Roman soldiers were the direct, physical
                          instruments of Christ's crucifixion. The Bible, however, strongly and repeatedly
                          emphasizes Israel's covenantal responsibility for the whole terrible event. I
                          will list several verses that point directly to Israel as the cause of Christ's
                          crucifixion (in a later chapter we will see how relevant this is to the message
                          of Israel).

                          "And all the people answered and said, 'His blood be on us and on our
                          children!'" (Matt. 27:25).

                          "They therefore cried out, 'Away with Him, away with Him, crucify
                          Him!' Pilate said to them, 'Shall I crucify your King?' The chief priests
                          answered, 'We have no king but Caesar'" (John 19:15).

                          "This Man, delivered up by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge
                          of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death"
                          (Acts 2:23).

                          "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by
                          hanging Him on a cross" (Acts 5:30).

                          See also: Acts 7:52; 10:39; 13:13-15; 1 Thess. 2:14-16.

                          The unrelenting testimony of the New Testament blames Israel for Christ's
                          death. She is covenantally responsible; she should have known better (Matt.
                          23:37; John 1:11). So then, Revelation 1:7 promises judgment upon "those who
                          pierced him," which demands that that judgment fall in the first century while
                          "those who pierced him" were still alive — especially given the near-term
                          temporal indicators in the very context of this statement (Rev. 1, 3). The events
                          of AD 70 present us with a most perfect, relevant, and compelling fit.

                          The Ultimate Focus of the Judgment
                          But there is more! Revelation 1:7 also states that: "all the tribes of
                          the earth will mourn over him." Who are these "tribes of the earth"? And why do
                          they "mourn"?
                          The reader must understand that the Greek word translated "earth" (ge)
                          can also be translated "land." In fact, it often refers to "the land of Israel,"
                          i.e., "the Promised Land." In a number of places in the New Testament this
                          word speaks either of the Promised Land as a whole, or some portion of it. In
                          those places we find it in such phrases as "the land of Judah" (Matt. 2:6), "the
                          land of Judea" (John 3:22), "the land of Israel" (Matt. 2:20, 21), "the land
                          of Zebulun" (Matt. 4:15), "the land of Naphtali" (Matt. 4:15), and "the land
                          of the Jews" (Acts 10:39). Thus, upon purely lexical considerations, the term
                          can be understood as designating the Promised Land.
                          When we note that this "land" contains "tribes," we move even closer to
                          the proper interpretation. The Greek word for "tribe" is phule, which in
                          Scripture most frequently refers to the Jewish tribes. The New Testament often names
                          particular "tribes" of Israel: Asher (Luke 2:36); Benjamin (Act 13:21; Rom
                          11:1; Phil 3:5); Judah (Rev. 5:5; Heb 7:14). The "tribes" found their home in
                          Palestine; these are "the tribes of the land" Revelation 1:7 mentions. John's
                          reference to the "tribe of Judah" in Revelation 5:5 clearly points to the
                          tribal division among racial Jews. The term "tribe" obviously has that racial
                          import in Revelation 7:4-8 (where it is used of each of the specifically named
                          Twelve Tribes) and in Revelation 21:12 (where John refers to "the twelve tribes of
                          the children of Israel").
                          As a matter or fact, literal translations of the Scripture lean in this
                          direction:
                          "Lo, he doth come with the clouds, and see him shall every eye, even
                          those who did pierce him, and wail because of him shall all the tribes of the
                          land. Yes! Amen!"
                          "Behold he comes with the clouds, and will see him every eye and
                          [those] who him pierced, and will wail over him all the tribes of the land. Yes,
                          amen."
                          This not only fits nicely with the near-term temporal indicators, but
                          also Jesus' warnings of impending judgment upon Israel. Notice three examples
                          from Luke (in addition to the parables mentioned previously in Matthew):
                          "And when He approached, He saw the city and wept over it, saying,
                          'If you had known in this day, even you, the things which make for peace! But
                          now they have been hidden from your eyes. For the days shall come upon you when
                          your enemies will throw up a bank before you, and surround you, and hem you in
                          on every side, and will level you to the ground and your children within you,
                          and they will not leave in you one stone upon another, because you did not
                          recognize the time of your visitation'" (Luke 19:41-44).

                          See also: Luke 21:20-22 and 23:28-31.
                          The evidence for an AD 70 meaning of Revelation 1:7 is becoming
                          insurmountable. John's theme in Revelation is Israel's judgment for rejecting the Lord
                          Jesus Christ.

                          The Particular Parallel in the Gospels

                          Interestingly, Revelation 1:7 finds a remarkable parallel in the Lord's
                          teaching in the Olivet Discourse. Observe the similarities between Revelation
                          1:7 and Matthew 24:30, noting particularly the italicized words:

                          "Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all
                          the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming
                          on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory." (Matt. 24:30)

                          "Behold, He is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see Him,
                          even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him.
                          Even so. Amen." (Rev. 1:7)

                          Both of these verses are unique in Scripture in merging portions of
                          Daniel 7:13 and Zechariah 12:10. John draws the "coming on the clouds" imagery from
                          Daniel, and the "mourning of the tribes" from Zechariah. No other passage in
                          Scripture merges these two verses.

                          Furthermore, both of the prophetic discourses in which we find these
                          verses speak of "the great tribulation" (Matt. 24:21 and Rev. 7:14). And most
                          commentators note the parallel between Matthew 24:6-11 and the first four seals in
                          Revelation 6:1-8. And both prophecies are associated somehow with the Temple
                          of God (Matt. 24:1-3, 15 and Rev. 11:1-2). In fact, we should note that Luke's
                          version of the Lord's teaching appears to be the source of John's language in
                          Revelation 11 (note especially the italicized portions):

                          "They will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive
                          into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles
                          until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled." (Luke 21:24)

                          "And leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not
                          measure it, for it has been given to the nations; and they will tread under foot
                          the holy city for forty-two months." (Rev. 11:2)

                          Interestingly, John's Gospel lacks the Olivet Discourse which is found in the
                          other three Gospels — perhaps because John covers the same material in
                          another work, Revelation.

                          Now remarkably for our purposes, both prophecies also expressly focus on
                          near-term events. I show above that John insists his Revelation prophecies
                          "must shortly come to pass" (Rev. 1:1; 22:6) "for the time is near" (Rev. 1:3;
                          22:10). In Matthew, the Olivet Discourse opens with Christ's denouncing the
                          Temple (Matt. 23:38) and the disciples pointing out the current Temple's beauty
                          (Matt. 24:1). Jesus responds to their wonder by stating: "Do you not see all
                          these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here shall be left upon another,
                          which will not be torn down" (Matt. 24:2), to which the disciples reply: "Tell
                          us, when will these things be?" (Matt. 24:3). After providing them with
                          precursory signs, he finally answers their question: "Truly I say to you, this
                          generation will not pass away until all these things take place" (Matt. 24:34),
                          which happens to match very nicely with John's assertion that these things "must
                          shortly take place." And we know from history that that very Temple was
                          destroyed in AD 70, just forty years after Jesus spoke.

                          Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th.M., Th.D.
                          <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A>
                          "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

                          Revelation Commentary Project
                          If you would like to give toward funding my research on
                          Revelation please go to <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A> then click
                          on "Revelation Commentary Project."

                          New releases
                          Gentry, Covenantal Theonomy: A Response to T. David
                          Gordon and Klinean Covenantalism (241 pp; paperback)

                          Gentry, He Shall Have Dominion: A Postmillennial Eschatology
                          (reprint of Second Edition) (600+ pp; paperback)

                        • hubbes.laszlo
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 15, 2006
                            I cannot pronounce myself on this special issue, since I'm not a
                            specialist in this aspect of the Revelation, but this is a good
                            opportunity for me to try to catch the attention again on the next
                            year's joint SBL-EABS conference in Wien, which will have a special
                            session organized around the theme of the Revelation in the section
                            "Early Christianity between Hellenism and Judaism". Maybe somebody
                            would be interested in submitting a paper to it. Anyone intrerested in
                            the issue, should contact Michael Labahn at am.labahn@... and
                            visit the EABS-homepage at http://www.eurassbibstudies.group.shef.ac.uk
                            I'm not insisting on it, just take the chance of this discussion, and
                            post again the call for papers, maybe there is somebody who just
                            haven't noticed the first time.

                            Hubbes Laszlo
                            doctorand, Babes-Bolyai University Cluj, Romania

                            P.S. I'll defend my thesis on Apocalyptic in november, please pray for me.