Re: [revelation-list] New Reddish commentary

  • David L. Barr
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2001
      At 10:59 PM 9/11/01 +1000, you wrote:
      >Has anyone on the list read the new Mitchell Reddish commentary on
      >Revelation (Smyth & Helwys series). Any evaluations?
      >

      >Thanks
      >
      >Greg Clarke

      I have read large chunks of it; I find it sensible, wide-ranging, in
      dialogue with other scholars and concerned about real issues (such as
      John's ethical responsibilities). It has several nice features, like
      printing auxiliary material and parallel quotes in a different color
      text. Much of the auxiliary material seems designed to prompt discussions
      of Revelations implications for modern readers. It does not discuss issues
      like whether "Babylon" is really Jerusalem and it recognizes that the list
      of rulers in ch. 17 is an apocalyptic list not an historical statement. It
      seems designed as an introduction to Revelation and should be useful as
      such. It is printed in a larger format and has lots of illustrations and
      comes with a CD (which I have only explored briefly; it seems to be largely
      the text in PDF format, searchable). It's worth taking a look at.

      David

      David L. Barr
      Professor of Religion
      Wright State University