New Reddish commentary

  • Greg Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2001
      Has anyone on the list read the new Mitchell Reddish commentary on
      Revelation (Smyth & Helwys series). Any evaluations?

      Thanks

      Greg Clarke

      G.J.Clarke
      Editor | Matthias Media
      Contact: office (61 2) 9663 1478
      fax: (61 2) 9663 3265
      email: gclarke@...
      mail to: PO Box 225 | Kingsford | NSW | Australia | 2032

      Publishing The Briefing | kategoria | 2 Ways to Live and more...
      Visit www.matthiasmedia.com.au for free downloads
    • David L. Barr
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2001
        At 10:59 PM 9/11/01 +1000, you wrote:
        >Has anyone on the list read the new Mitchell Reddish commentary on
        >Revelation (Smyth & Helwys series). Any evaluations?
        >

        >Thanks
        >
        >Greg Clarke

        I have read large chunks of it; I find it sensible, wide-ranging, in
        dialogue with other scholars and concerned about real issues (such as
        John's ethical responsibilities). It has several nice features, like
        printing auxiliary material and parallel quotes in a different color
        text. Much of the auxiliary material seems designed to prompt discussions
        of Revelations implications for modern readers. It does not discuss issues
        like whether "Babylon" is really Jerusalem and it recognizes that the list
        of rulers in ch. 17 is an apocalyptic list not an historical statement. It
        seems designed as an introduction to Revelation and should be useful as
        such. It is printed in a larger format and has lots of illustrations and
        comes with a CD (which I have only explored briefly; it seems to be largely
        the text in PDF format, searchable). It's worth taking a look at.

        David

        David L. Barr
        Professor of Religion
        Wright State University