Re: [revelation-list] semeia

    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2006
      Hubbes,

      I do have the complete collection of Semeia, and I would be happy to send portions to you. The difficulty lies in the fact that your request is so broad that there would be more material involved than I could possibly send you. Also, there might be a question of copyright. If you have some sections which are of interest and could delineate them sufficiently, perhaps I would be able to help you.

      Hubbes László-Attila <hubbeslaszlo@...> wrote:
      Greetings Everybody,

      sorry to bother you with such a request... Could anybody help me
      someway with the Semeia issues No. 14 and 36 - on Apocalyptic? I would
      be interested mainly in John J. Collins, Adela Yarbro Collins, David
      Hellholm and David E. Aune's studies? Unfortunately, I cannot trace
      them down on the net, and I have no financial means to order them
      online or by post. (I well know, that these issues are withdrawn from
      the public domain exactly from financial considerations, but what can
      I do, if I'm just not the type of scholar, who could afford such
      expences... sorry)

      Hoping for a positive answer,
      and best regards: Hubbes Laszlo

      Secondary school education Graduate school education Home school education Colleges and universities High school education School research

      ---------------------------------

    • Hubbes László-Attila
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2006
        Dear Mr. Somsel
        and everybody

        I'm already more than happy with these prompt and promising answers -
        and let me thank explicitly to Lynn Huber, Otto Nordgreen and
        ofcourse, You, that you kindly responded to me. I didn't even hope to
        get an answer to my request.
        I apologize for not being clear enough from the very first moment.
        Here I cite the most important (but not exclusive) articles that I
        need - taken from Dr. Felix Just's (whom I thank for that great site)
        collection of links:

        <<The following articles from past issues of Semeia are currently
        unavailable, but will hopefully be put on line again soon:
        "The Early Christian Apocalypses" - by Adela Yarbro Collins; Semeia
        14: Apocalypse: The Morphology of a Genre (1979)
        "Introduction: Towards the Morphology of a Genre" - by John J.
        Collins; also Semeia 14 (1979)
        "The Problem of Apocalyptic Genre and the Apocalypse of John" - by
        David Hellholm; Semeia 36 (1986) 13-64
        "The Apocalypse of John and the Problem of Genre" - by David E. Aune;
        Semeia 36 (1986) 65-96>>

        I've known of these articles for many years already, but I also knew,
        that I could not hope to reach them (I haven't had permanent net
        connection until recently), because I'm too far away from America.
        Yes, I well know that there are copyright problems - that's why I
        wrote in my previous letter: "these issues are withdrawn from
        the public domain exactly from financial considerations"... But, I'm a
        librarian, I'm a translator, I have graduated an international course
        on Intellectual Propriety Rights (WIPO) - so I'm well aware of all the
        problems related to these articles.

        It's high time to explain why I need these articles... As I told in my
        earlier brief introduction, I'm working on a study related to the
        visual depictions and literary developments of the Revelation and
        other apocalypses, from an aesthetic aspect. This would be my
        PhD-thesis. In fact, I've already finished it and defended it before
        the first instance last October. Now I'm doing some corrections and
        clarifications on and in my thesis, in order to get it ready for the
        final public presentation. In the first chapter of this work I have
        referred - unfortunately only from secondary sources - to the
        definitions and problematics constructed or raised by these authors.
        In short, my interest is somehow the same: I'm deeply involved in
        solving a great mistery (for me) - why on earth does aesthetics not
        speak (so naturally) of Apocalyptic as a basic aesthetical cathegory
        like it does of Tragic or Comic or Sublime and so on... So, I'm doing
        an inventory of artistic depictions of the Revelation and other
        apocalypses over the ages, trying to define a list of proper
        apocalyptic motifs in any arts (mainly literature and visual, but not
        only), and determine, wether we could speak of a so-called Apocalyptic
        not just as a (religious-literary) genre, but also as an axiological-
        aesthetical-philosofical cathegory...
        As soon as I managed to finish my work (presumably towards the end of
        this summer) I will make and english summary of it, and make it
        available for the members of this list.

        So, I emphasize that I have no other intentions with these texts than
        to cite them academically correctly and exactly, and ofcourse, to read
        them thoroughly.

        Thank you for your kind offer to help, I will return with more details.

        Best wishes:
        Hubbes Laszlo

        --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>