semeia

  • Hubbes László-Attila
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2006
      Greetings Everybody,

      sorry to bother you with such a request... Could anybody help me
      someway with the Semeia issues No. 14 and 36 - on Apocalyptic? I would
      be interested mainly in John J. Collins, Adela Yarbro Collins, David
      Hellholm and David E. Aune's studies? Unfortunately, I cannot trace
      them down on the net, and I have no financial means to order them
      online or by post. (I well know, that these issues are withdrawn from
      the public domain exactly from financial considerations, but what can
      I do, if I'm just not the type of scholar, who could afford such
      expences... sorry)

      Hoping for a positive answer,
      and best regards: Hubbes Laszlo
    • Lyn H
      Message 2 of 4 , May 30, 2006
        I do happen to have an extra copy of #14. If you haven't heard from anyone else, it is possible that I could send it to you. Please contact using my email at lhuber@....
        Lynn Huber
        Elon University

        Hubbes László-Attila <hubbeslaszlo@...> wrote:
        Greetings Everybody,

        sorry to bother you with such a request... Could anybody help me
        someway with the Semeia issues No. 14 and 36 - on Apocalyptic? I would
        be interested mainly in John J. Collins, Adela Yarbro Collins, David
        Hellholm and David E. Aune's studies? Unfortunately, I cannot trace
        them down on the net, and I have no financial means to order them
        online or by post. (I well know, that these issues are withdrawn from
        the public domain exactly from financial considerations, but what can
        I do, if I'm just not the type of scholar, who could afford such
        expences... sorry)

        Hoping for a positive answer,
        and best regards: Hubbes Laszlo

        Secondary school education Graduate school education Home school education Colleges and universities High school education School research

        ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2006
            Dear Mr. Somsel
            and everybody

            I'm already more than happy with these prompt and promising answers -
            and let me thank explicitly to Lynn Huber, Otto Nordgreen and
            ofcourse, You, that you kindly responded to me. I didn't even hope to
            get an answer to my request.
            I apologize for not being clear enough from the very first moment.
            Here I cite the most important (but not exclusive) articles that I
            need - taken from Dr. Felix Just's (whom I thank for that great site)
            collection of links:

            <<The following articles from past issues of Semeia are currently
            unavailable, but will hopefully be put on line again soon:
            "The Early Christian Apocalypses" - by Adela Yarbro Collins; Semeia
            14: Apocalypse: The Morphology of a Genre (1979)
            "Introduction: Towards the Morphology of a Genre" - by John J.
            Collins; also Semeia 14 (1979)
            "The Problem of Apocalyptic Genre and the Apocalypse of John" - by
            David Hellholm; Semeia 36 (1986) 13-64
            "The Apocalypse of John and the Problem of Genre" - by David E. Aune;
            Semeia 36 (1986) 65-96>>

            I've known of these articles for many years already, but I also knew,
            that I could not hope to reach them (I haven't had permanent net
            connection until recently), because I'm too far away from America.
            Yes, I well know that there are copyright problems - that's why I
            wrote in my previous letter: "these issues are withdrawn from
            the public domain exactly from financial considerations"... But, I'm a
            librarian, I'm a translator, I have graduated an international course
            on Intellectual Propriety Rights (WIPO) - so I'm well aware of all the
            problems related to these articles.

            It's high time to explain why I need these articles... As I told in my
            earlier brief introduction, I'm working on a study related to the
            visual depictions and literary developments of the Revelation and
            other apocalypses, from an aesthetic aspect. This would be my
            PhD-thesis. In fact, I've already finished it and defended it before
            the first instance last October. Now I'm doing some corrections and
            clarifications on and in my thesis, in order to get it ready for the
            final public presentation. In the first chapter of this work I have
            referred - unfortunately only from secondary sources - to the
            definitions and problematics constructed or raised by these authors.
            In short, my interest is somehow the same: I'm deeply involved in
            solving a great mistery (for me) - why on earth does aesthetics not
            speak (so naturally) of Apocalyptic as a basic aesthetical cathegory
            like it does of Tragic or Comic or Sublime and so on... So, I'm doing
            an inventory of artistic depictions of the Revelation and other
            apocalypses over the ages, trying to define a list of proper
            apocalyptic motifs in any arts (mainly literature and visual, but not
            only), and determine, wether we could speak of a so-called Apocalyptic
            not just as a (religious-literary) genre, but also as an axiological-
            aesthetical-philosofical cathegory...
            As soon as I managed to finish my work (presumably towards the end of
            this summer) I will make and english summary of it, and make it
            available for the members of this list.

            So, I emphasize that I have no other intentions with these texts than
            to cite them academically correctly and exactly, and ofcourse, to read
            them thoroughly.

            Thank you for your kind offer to help, I will return with more details.

            Best wishes:
            Hubbes Laszlo

            --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>