a brief self-presentation

  • Hubbes László-Attila
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 23 2:26 PM
      Greetings Everybody,

      First of all, thank you that you have admitted me in this list
      (without being invited by anybody and without presenting myself
      previously) - I am very grateful to you Dr. Timothy P. Jenney.

      Let me introduce myself to you and the other members of the list in
      a few rows:

      My name is Hubbes(-Rombauer) László Attila. I live in Sfintu
      Gheorghe city, Covasna County, Romania. I'm an ethnic Hungarian,
      Roman Catholic, 36 years old, married, two children.

      Currently I'm doing my PhD-studies at the Babes-Bolyai University of
      Cluj (Romania) in Humanities (in Hungarian language).
      Otherwise I works as a librarian, accredited translator and (in part
      time) as visiting professor at the Sapientia Hungarian University of
      Transylvania, Miercurea Ciuc, Romania.

      Languages I know: Hungarian (mother tongue), Romanian, English very
      well, German, Polish well, French and Latin - only reading.

      My scientific interest: Apocalypse in Literature and Art in general,
      with a special concern on the cathegory of Apocalyptic in Aesthetics.

      Here is a list of my writings in this field:

      "Introduction into the Study of Apocalyptic" - BA thesis, in
      Hungarian language, 1995, UBB Cluj - not published

      "Visions and Meanings: Apocalyptic Symbolism" - MA thesis, in
      Hungarian language, 1996, UBB Cluj - not published

      "Upturned World - an Apocalyptic Axiology" - essay, in Hungarian
      language, 2002, published online: http://www.euroASTRA.hu

      "Apocalyptic Motifs in Early Christian Art (II-VII centuries)" -
      first version of my PhD-thesis, in Hungarian, successfully defended
      in 2005 October at BBU Cluj - not published (but with parts prepared
      to be published later)

      "Apocalyptic Motifs in Christian Art" - I'm working on this present
      (final) version of my PhD-thesis, in Hungarian, to be defended
      latest in October, this year at BBU Cluj

      (all, excepting the first, written under the supervision of Dr.
      Prof. Cs. Gyimesi Eva)

      As you may have observed, I am no theologian, but rather a
      phylologist, or even better, an art-and-culture historian. Though, I
      have to admit, that besides the fact that I am a Roman Catholic, I
      have dug deep myself into the field of theology, and especially in
      eschatology, through the very nature of my scientific passion.

      On the other hand, I am a quite shy person (and maybe a little too
      maximalist...) - I haven't published yet anything, neither tried to
      apply for scholarships in order to enhance my researches.
      In fact, I do my PhD studies not in an institutionalized frame,
      but "as a freelancer", which means that I'm not working and
      researching at any given university (excepting my part-time visiting
      classes at the mentioned Sapientia University). I'm studying as
      an "autodidactic", writing at home, from the books and resources I
      can reach from my own budget and from the regional libraries (since
      I'm working as a librarian in a small provincial city),
      respectively, a couple of months now, from the internet, and only
      when I can tear some free time from my patient family and from my
      other works...

      I turn to you, to this scientific community present in this list,
      with the hope to gather new information, to seek contact with
      scholars interested in the field of my interest, and to build up
      relationships for my further researches for after the defence of my
      PhD-thesis, because I would like to continue my studies in a more
      institutionalized form, teaching and researching in a more suitable
      environment.

      Sincerely yours: Hubbes Laszlo
    • Felix Just, SJ
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 2006
        Dear Colleagues,

        With all of the media attention on the possible connections between June 6, 2006, and the "666" of Rev 13:18 (I've already gotten inquiries from several journalists!), I thought the members of this list would be interested in my webpage on 666:
        http://catholic-resources.org/Bible/666.htm
        It's partly humorous and partly academic. I would appreciate any feedback from members of this list, whether you have additions to the humorous part, or corrections or comments on the academic part, or both!

        Thanks!