[Rev List] Invitation to New Members

  • drjenney2
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2006
      I would like to personally invite list members to forward this e-mail to others
      with a scholarly interest in Revelation studies.

      The purpose of the Revelation-list at Yahoo Groups is "to offer a forum for
      scholarly discussions and information exchange concerning the Book of
      Revelation for qualified scholars and serious students." A fuller statement of
      the list's goals can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/revelation-list.

      The recent popularity of eschatology and apocalypticism in film and print has
      attracted some unwelcome elements to this group. Since this invitation will be
      forwarded [I trust] to others who have little or no knowledge of this group, I
      thought I should take a moment and further specify just what we are all about.

      Discussions sponsered by this group are the kind that might be found in any
      institution of higher learning, from upperclass undergraduate through post-
      doctoral seminars. Members typically work within the accepted historical-
      grammatical framework of exegesis. Not all are Christians; some are atheists.
      We are especially interested in cutting edge work that seeks to advance our
      knowledge of Revelation, its audience and its message.

      On the other hand, this is NOT a forum for preaching, proselyzation or other
      kinds of conversations one might typically have in a church, synagogue or
      temple. This is also not the place for doomsday prophecies, survivalism, alien
      conspiracy theories, setting dates for the end of the world and other fringe
      theories. We also frown on blatant self-promotion, though members are
      always interested to hear about a new dissertation, commentary, journal
      article or the like, so feel free to let us know.

      Finally, we encourage dialogue, disagreements even, but not language or
      tone that is abusive, derogatory or demeaning in any way. Behavior of this
      sort is the quickest way to be ejected from the group, usually following a
      single warning. This list is founded on respectful conversations and will
      remain so.

      If you are interested in Revelation [or cognate] studies, we would like to
      encourage you to apply for membership in this group. Simply send an e-mail
      to this list detailing your interest in Revelation, your educational background
      and your current professional responsibilities.

      Blessings,
      Dr. Timothy P. Jenney
      Moderator