Re: [revelation-list] Re: Adamsen's dissertation [was: tanislas Giet commentary on Revelation]

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
      On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:18:19 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
      <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

      > On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:
      >
      > > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your
      > dissertation
      > > which I am in the process of reading.
      >
      > You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you?
      > Are
      > you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?
      >
      > Shalom,
      > Marko
      ____________

      A commentary. I can assure you that my conclusions are quite different
      from almost any other I have seen. For one thing, I see absolutely no
      recapitulations. Secondly, I see a reference to the flood in caps 4-6
      with the Heilsgeschichte beginning in cap 7. Thirdly, there are
      "avatars" of Jesus Christ represented in the visions: "A mighty angel"
      in cap 10 and Michael in cap 12. There is a Holy Trinity represented in
      "the one seated upon the throne", the slain yet living Lamb, and the
      seven spirits. There is also a demonic trinity in the dragon, the beast
      from the sea, and the beast from the land. There is similarly a mockery
      of the Jewish practice of wearing tephillin in cap 13 (wrong hand). In
      cap 14 we see in the reaping of the earth and the treading of the
      winepress of the wrath of God an account of the destruction of Jerusalem
      (note the extent of the blood which would cover the entire land of
      Palestine). The New Jerusalem is ever "coming down from God out of
      Heaven" but never residing on earth. I think the closest resemblance to
      my view would be that of Augustine in City of God. I don't know why
      commentator after commentator persists in "outlining" the Apocalypse
      based on various other factors when caps 4 ff clearly are structured on
      the basis of the opening of the seals and the account of what then
      occurs. BTW: There is no Millenium mentioned in the Apocalypse. The
      1000 yrs is based on Is 65.20 and apocryphal literature such as Barnabas
      15 and Jubilees 23.26-29.

    • Ian R. Brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
        Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
        wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?

        Thanks,
        Ian R. Brown
        Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
          You could try asking his supervisor, Prof Chris Rowland
          christopher.rowland@...

          Ian Paul

          On 8 Apr 2006, at 00:30, Ian R. Brown wrote:

          > Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
          > wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ian R. Brown
          > Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          _________________
          Revd Dr Ian Paul
          Dean of Studies, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm NG9 3DS
          w 0115 925 1114 x 254 h 0115 922 9699 m 07974
          351502
          http://www.stjohns-nottm.ac.uk
          Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
          9HU
          01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
          http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
          If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.