Re: [revelation-list] Re: Adamsen's dissertation [was: tanislas Giet commentary on Revelation]

  • Marko Jauhiainen
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 4 3:18 AM
      On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:

      > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your dissertation
      > which I am in the process of reading.

      You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you? Are
      you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?

      Shalom,
      Marko
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4 5:04 AM
        On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:18:19 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
        <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

        > On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:
        >
        > > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your
        > dissertation
        > > which I am in the process of reading.
        >
        > You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you?
        > Are
        > you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?
        >
        > Shalom,
        > Marko
        ____________

        A commentary. I can assure you that my conclusions are quite different
        from almost any other I have seen. For one thing, I see absolutely no
        recapitulations. Secondly, I see a reference to the flood in caps 4-6
        with the Heilsgeschichte beginning in cap 7. Thirdly, there are
        "avatars" of Jesus Christ represented in the visions: "A mighty angel"
        in cap 10 and Michael in cap 12. There is a Holy Trinity represented in
        "the one seated upon the throne", the slain yet living Lamb, and the
        seven spirits. There is also a demonic trinity in the dragon, the beast
        from the sea, and the beast from the land. There is similarly a mockery
        of the Jewish practice of wearing tephillin in cap 13 (wrong hand). In
        cap 14 we see in the reaping of the earth and the treading of the
        winepress of the wrath of God an account of the destruction of Jerusalem
        (note the extent of the blood which would cover the entire land of
        Palestine). The New Jerusalem is ever "coming down from God out of
        Heaven" but never residing on earth. I think the closest resemblance to
        my view would be that of Augustine in City of God. I don't know why
        commentator after commentator persists in "outlining" the Apocalypse
        based on various other factors when caps 4 ff clearly are structured on
        the basis of the opening of the seals and the account of what then
        occurs. BTW: There is no Millenium mentioned in the Apocalypse. The
        1000 yrs is based on Is 65.20 and apocryphal literature such as Barnabas
        15 and Jubilees 23.26-29.

      • Ian R. Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 7 4:30 PM
          Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
          wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?

          Thanks,
          Ian R. Brown
          Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8 12:22 AM
            You could try asking his supervisor, Prof Chris Rowland
            christopher.rowland@...

            Ian Paul

            On 8 Apr 2006, at 00:30, Ian R. Brown wrote:

            > Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
            > wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ian R. Brown
            > Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            _________________
            Revd Dr Ian Paul
            Dean of Studies, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm NG9 3DS
            w 0115 925 1114 x 254 h 0115 922 9699 m 07974
            351502
            http://www.stjohns-nottm.ac.uk
            Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
            9HU
            01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
            http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
            If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.