RE: [revelation-list] Re: Adamsen's dissertation

  • Ian R. Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
      Does Georg's dissertation deal with the two witnesses of Revelation 11?

      Thanks,
      Ian R. Brown
      PhD in Religion Candidate

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
        On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:

        > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your dissertation
        > which I am in the process of reading.

        You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you? Are
        you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?

        Shalom,
        Marko
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
          On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:18:19 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
          <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

          > On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:
          >
          > > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your
          > dissertation
          > > which I am in the process of reading.
          >
          > You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you?
          > Are
          > you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?
          >
          > Shalom,
          > Marko
          ____________

          A commentary. I can assure you that my conclusions are quite different
          from almost any other I have seen. For one thing, I see absolutely no
          recapitulations. Secondly, I see a reference to the flood in caps 4-6
          with the Heilsgeschichte beginning in cap 7. Thirdly, there are
          "avatars" of Jesus Christ represented in the visions: "A mighty angel"
          in cap 10 and Michael in cap 12. There is a Holy Trinity represented in
          "the one seated upon the throne", the slain yet living Lamb, and the
          seven spirits. There is also a demonic trinity in the dragon, the beast
          from the sea, and the beast from the land. There is similarly a mockery
          of the Jewish practice of wearing tephillin in cap 13 (wrong hand). In
          cap 14 we see in the reaping of the earth and the treading of the
          winepress of the wrath of God an account of the destruction of Jerusalem
          (note the extent of the blood which would cover the entire land of
          Palestine). The New Jerusalem is ever "coming down from God out of
          Heaven" but never residing on earth. I think the closest resemblance to
          my view would be that of Augustine in City of God. I don't know why
          commentator after commentator persists in "outlining" the Apocalypse
          based on various other factors when caps 4 ff clearly are structured on
          the basis of the opening of the seals and the account of what then
          occurs. BTW: There is no Millenium mentioned in the Apocalypse. The
          1000 yrs is based on Is 65.20 and apocryphal literature such as Barnabas
          15 and Jubilees 23.26-29.

        • Ian R. Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
            Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
            wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?

            Thanks,
            Ian R. Brown
            Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
              You could try asking his supervisor, Prof Chris Rowland
              christopher.rowland@...

              Ian Paul

              On 8 Apr 2006, at 00:30, Ian R. Brown wrote:

              > Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
              > wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Ian R. Brown
              > Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              _________________
              Revd Dr Ian Paul
              Dean of Studies, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm NG9 3DS
              w 0115 925 1114 x 254 h 0115 922 9699 m 07974
              351502
              http://www.stjohns-nottm.ac.uk
              Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
              9HU
              01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
              http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
              If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.