Re: Stanislas Giet commentary on Revelation

  • ottoerlend
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
      George F Somsel wrote:

      > Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and Paraenesis" can be
      > obtained?

      Probably directly from Georg!

      Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good read'! But for those of us who
      just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through inter-library loan. A quick
      search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at university libraries in Denmark,
      Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.

      Regards

      Otto E. Nordgreen
      Oslo, Norway
    • Marko Jauhiainen
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
        On 03.04.2006 21:38, ottoerlend wrote:

        >> Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and Paraenesis" can be
        >> obtained?

        > Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good read'! But for those of us who
        > just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through inter-library loan. A quick
        > search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at university libraries in Denmark,
        > Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.

        Of course, there is a copy at Tyndale House (Cambridge, UK), too, though
        you'd have to go there to read it :-)

        Shalom,
        Marko
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
          On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:56:47 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
          <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

          > On 03.04.2006 21:38, ottoerlend wrote:
          >
          > >> Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and
          > Paraenesis" can be
          > >> obtained?
          >
          > > Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good
          > read'! But for those of us who
          > > just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through
          > inter-library loan. A quick
          > > search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at
          > university libraries in Denmark,
          > > Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.
          >
          > Of course, there is a copy at Tyndale House (Cambridge, UK), too,
          > though
          > you'd have to go there to read it :-)
          >
          > Shalom,
          > Marko
          ___________

          That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your dissertation
          which I am in the process of reading.

          ___________
        • Ian R. Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
            Does Georg's dissertation deal with the two witnesses of Revelation 11?

            Thanks,
            Ian R. Brown
            PhD in Religion Candidate

            ___________

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
              On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:

              > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your dissertation
              > which I am in the process of reading.

              You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you? Are
              you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?

              Shalom,
              Marko
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:18:19 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
                <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

                > On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:
                >
                > > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your
                > dissertation
                > > which I am in the process of reading.
                >
                > You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you?
                > Are
                > you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?
                >
                > Shalom,
                > Marko
                ____________

                A commentary. I can assure you that my conclusions are quite different
                from almost any other I have seen. For one thing, I see absolutely no
                recapitulations. Secondly, I see a reference to the flood in caps 4-6
                with the Heilsgeschichte beginning in cap 7. Thirdly, there are
                "avatars" of Jesus Christ represented in the visions: "A mighty angel"
                in cap 10 and Michael in cap 12. There is a Holy Trinity represented in
                "the one seated upon the throne", the slain yet living Lamb, and the
                seven spirits. There is also a demonic trinity in the dragon, the beast
                from the sea, and the beast from the land. There is similarly a mockery
                of the Jewish practice of wearing tephillin in cap 13 (wrong hand). In
                cap 14 we see in the reaping of the earth and the treading of the
                winepress of the wrath of God an account of the destruction of Jerusalem
                (note the extent of the blood which would cover the entire land of
                Palestine). The New Jerusalem is ever "coming down from God out of
                Heaven" but never residing on earth. I think the closest resemblance to
                my view would be that of Augustine in City of God. I don't know why
                commentator after commentator persists in "outlining" the Apocalypse
                based on various other factors when caps 4 ff clearly are structured on
                the basis of the opening of the seals and the account of what then
                occurs. BTW: There is no Millenium mentioned in the Apocalypse. The
                1000 yrs is based on Is 65.20 and apocryphal literature such as Barnabas
                15 and Jubilees 23.26-29.

              • Ian R. Brown
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
                  Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
                  wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?

                  Thanks,
                  Ian R. Brown
                  Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
                    You could try asking his supervisor, Prof Chris Rowland
                    christopher.rowland@...

                    Ian Paul

                    On 8 Apr 2006, at 00:30, Ian R. Brown wrote:

                    > Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
                    > wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Ian R. Brown
                    > Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    _________________
                    Revd Dr Ian Paul
                    Dean of Studies, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm NG9 3DS
                    w 0115 925 1114 x 254 h 0115 922 9699 m 07974
                    351502
                    http://www.stjohns-nottm.ac.uk
                    Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
                    9HU
                    01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
                    http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
                    If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.