Re: Stanislas Giet commentary on Revelation

  • ottoerlend
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
      Dear Kenneth Gentry,

      > Does anyone know if the following book was translated into English? And if
      > so, where it may be available.
      >
      > Stanislas Giet, Apocalypse et l'historie; e´tude historique sur l'Apocalypse
      > johannique.

      A few years ago, I collected most of Giet's work on the Book of Revelation. I didn't find
      anything published in English, though. However, his works (especially his book
      "Apocalypse et l'historie") have been reviewed in several journals, some of them in English.
      You might find them useful. Also, you might find something useful in the books by Feuillet
      and Prigent, which I believe both are available in English. J.M. Ford made use of Giet's
      book.

      (If you have questions to some of his works, feel free to contact me "off-list".)

      Hope this helps!

      Regards

      Otto E. Nordgreen
      Oslo, Norway
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
        On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:28:42 EDT KennethGentry@... writes:
        > Does anyone know if the following book was translated into English?
        > And if
        > so, where it may be available.
        >
        > Stanislas Giet, Apocalypse et l'historie; e´tude historique sur
        > l'Apocalypse
        > johannique.
        >
        > Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., M.Div, Th.M., Th.D.
        > www.KennethGentry.com
        > "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"
        >
        > For "Revelation Commentary Project" see:
        > www.kennethgentry.com
        > Subsidy donations are necessary and appreciated
        _____________

        No known translation.

        http://tinyurl.com/guojj

        Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and Paraenesis" can be
        obtained?

      • ottoerlend
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
          George F Somsel wrote:

          > Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and Paraenesis" can be
          > obtained?

          Probably directly from Georg!

          Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good read'! But for those of us who
          just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through inter-library loan. A quick
          search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at university libraries in Denmark,
          Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.

          Regards

          Otto E. Nordgreen
          Oslo, Norway
        • Marko Jauhiainen
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
            On 03.04.2006 21:38, ottoerlend wrote:

            >> Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and Paraenesis" can be
            >> obtained?

            > Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good read'! But for those of us who
            > just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through inter-library loan. A quick
            > search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at university libraries in Denmark,
            > Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.

            Of course, there is a copy at Tyndale House (Cambridge, UK), too, though
            you'd have to go there to read it :-)

            Shalom,
            Marko
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
              On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:56:47 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
              <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

              > On 03.04.2006 21:38, ottoerlend wrote:
              >
              > >> Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and
              > Paraenesis" can be
              > >> obtained?
              >
              > > Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good
              > read'! But for those of us who
              > > just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through
              > inter-library loan. A quick
              > > search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at
              > university libraries in Denmark,
              > > Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.
              >
              > Of course, there is a copy at Tyndale House (Cambridge, UK), too,
              > though
              > you'd have to go there to read it :-)
              >
              > Shalom,
              > Marko
              ___________

              That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your dissertation
              which I am in the process of reading.

              ___________
            • Ian R. Brown
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
                Does Georg's dissertation deal with the two witnesses of Revelation 11?

                Thanks,
                Ian R. Brown
                PhD in Religion Candidate

                ___________

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                  On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:

                  > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your dissertation
                  > which I am in the process of reading.

                  You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you? Are
                  you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?

                  Shalom,
                  Marko
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:18:19 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
                    <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

                    > On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:
                    >
                    > > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your
                    > dissertation
                    > > which I am in the process of reading.
                    >
                    > You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you?
                    > Are
                    > you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?
                    >
                    > Shalom,
                    > Marko
                    ____________

                    A commentary. I can assure you that my conclusions are quite different
                    from almost any other I have seen. For one thing, I see absolutely no
                    recapitulations. Secondly, I see a reference to the flood in caps 4-6
                    with the Heilsgeschichte beginning in cap 7. Thirdly, there are
                    "avatars" of Jesus Christ represented in the visions: "A mighty angel"
                    in cap 10 and Michael in cap 12. There is a Holy Trinity represented in
                    "the one seated upon the throne", the slain yet living Lamb, and the
                    seven spirits. There is also a demonic trinity in the dragon, the beast
                    from the sea, and the beast from the land. There is similarly a mockery
                    of the Jewish practice of wearing tephillin in cap 13 (wrong hand). In
                    cap 14 we see in the reaping of the earth and the treading of the
                    winepress of the wrath of God an account of the destruction of Jerusalem
                    (note the extent of the blood which would cover the entire land of
                    Palestine). The New Jerusalem is ever "coming down from God out of
                    Heaven" but never residing on earth. I think the closest resemblance to
                    my view would be that of Augustine in City of God. I don't know why
                    commentator after commentator persists in "outlining" the Apocalypse
                    based on various other factors when caps 4 ff clearly are structured on
                    the basis of the opening of the seals and the account of what then
                    occurs. BTW: There is no Millenium mentioned in the Apocalypse. The
                    1000 yrs is based on Is 65.20 and apocryphal literature such as Barnabas
                    15 and Jubilees 23.26-29.

                  • Ian R. Brown
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
                      Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
                      wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?

                      Thanks,
                      Ian R. Brown
                      Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
                        You could try asking his supervisor, Prof Chris Rowland
                        christopher.rowland@...

                        Ian Paul

                        On 8 Apr 2006, at 00:30, Ian R. Brown wrote:

                        > Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
                        > wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Ian R. Brown
                        > Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        _________________
                        Revd Dr Ian Paul
                        Dean of Studies, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm NG9 3DS
                        w 0115 925 1114 x 254 h 0115 922 9699 m 07974
                        351502
                        http://www.stjohns-nottm.ac.uk
                        Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
                        9HU
                        01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
                        http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
                        If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.