Stanislas Giet commentary on Revelation

  • KennethGentry@cs.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
      Does anyone know if the following book was translated into English? And if
      so, where it may be available.

      Stanislas Giet, Apocalypse et l'historie; e´tude historique sur l'Apocalypse
      johannique.

      Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., M.Div, Th.M., Th.D.
      www.KennethGentry.com
      "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

      For "Revelation Commentary Project" see:
      www.kennethgentry.com
      Subsidy donations are necessary and appreciated

    • ottoerlend
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
        Dear Kenneth Gentry,

        > Does anyone know if the following book was translated into English? And if
        > so, where it may be available.
        >
        > Stanislas Giet, Apocalypse et l'historie; e´tude historique sur l'Apocalypse
        > johannique.

        A few years ago, I collected most of Giet's work on the Book of Revelation. I didn't find
        anything published in English, though. However, his works (especially his book
        "Apocalypse et l'historie") have been reviewed in several journals, some of them in English.
        You might find them useful. Also, you might find something useful in the books by Feuillet
        and Prigent, which I believe both are available in English. J.M. Ford made use of Giet's
        book.

        (If you have questions to some of his works, feel free to contact me "off-list".)

        Hope this helps!

        Regards

        Otto E. Nordgreen
        Oslo, Norway
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
          On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:28:42 EDT KennethGentry@... writes:
          > Does anyone know if the following book was translated into English?
          > And if
          > so, where it may be available.
          >
          > Stanislas Giet, Apocalypse et l'historie; e´tude historique sur
          > l'Apocalypse
          > johannique.
          >
          > Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., M.Div, Th.M., Th.D.
          > www.KennethGentry.com
          > "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"
          >
          > For "Revelation Commentary Project" see:
          > www.kennethgentry.com
          > Subsidy donations are necessary and appreciated
          _____________

          No known translation.

          http://tinyurl.com/guojj

          Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and Paraenesis" can be
          obtained?

        • ottoerlend
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
            George F Somsel wrote:

            > Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and Paraenesis" can be
            > obtained?

            Probably directly from Georg!

            Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good read'! But for those of us who
            just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through inter-library loan. A quick
            search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at university libraries in Denmark,
            Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.

            Regards

            Otto E. Nordgreen
            Oslo, Norway
          • Marko Jauhiainen
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
              On 03.04.2006 21:38, ottoerlend wrote:

              >> Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and Paraenesis" can be
              >> obtained?

              > Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good read'! But for those of us who
              > just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through inter-library loan. A quick
              > search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at university libraries in Denmark,
              > Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.

              Of course, there is a copy at Tyndale House (Cambridge, UK), too, though
              you'd have to go there to read it :-)

              Shalom,
              Marko
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
                On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:56:47 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
                <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

                > On 03.04.2006 21:38, ottoerlend wrote:
                >
                > >> Anyone know where Adamsen's dissertation "Parousia and
                > Paraenesis" can be
                > >> obtained?
                >
                > > Hopefully, this dissertation will be published. It's a 'good
                > read'! But for those of us who
                > > just cannot wait... Well, another possibility would be through
                > inter-library loan. A quick
                > > search revealed that there are copies of his dissertation at
                > university libraries in Denmark,
                > > Norway and Sweden. Thus, it should be obtainable.
                >
                > Of course, there is a copy at Tyndale House (Cambridge, UK), too,
                > though
                > you'd have to go there to read it :-)
                >
                > Shalom,
                > Marko
                ___________

                That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your dissertation
                which I am in the process of reading.

                ___________
              • Ian R. Brown
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
                  Does Georg's dissertation deal with the two witnesses of Revelation 11?

                  Thanks,
                  Ian R. Brown
                  PhD in Religion Candidate

                  ___________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                    On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:

                    > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your dissertation
                    > which I am in the process of reading.

                    You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you? Are
                    you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?

                    Shalom,
                    Marko
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                      On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:18:19 +0300 Marko Jauhiainen
                      <marko.jauhiainen@...> writes:

                      > On 03.04.2006 22:08, George F Somsel wrote:
                      >
                      > > That almost goes without saying since you mention it in your
                      > dissertation
                      > > which I am in the process of reading.
                      >
                      > You have been working on Revelation for some time now, haven't you?
                      > Are
                      > you writing a commentary or a monograph on Rev, perhaps?
                      >
                      > Shalom,
                      > Marko
                      ____________

                      A commentary. I can assure you that my conclusions are quite different
                      from almost any other I have seen. For one thing, I see absolutely no
                      recapitulations. Secondly, I see a reference to the flood in caps 4-6
                      with the Heilsgeschichte beginning in cap 7. Thirdly, there are
                      "avatars" of Jesus Christ represented in the visions: "A mighty angel"
                      in cap 10 and Michael in cap 12. There is a Holy Trinity represented in
                      "the one seated upon the throne", the slain yet living Lamb, and the
                      seven spirits. There is also a demonic trinity in the dragon, the beast
                      from the sea, and the beast from the land. There is similarly a mockery
                      of the Jewish practice of wearing tephillin in cap 13 (wrong hand). In
                      cap 14 we see in the reaping of the earth and the treading of the
                      winepress of the wrath of God an account of the destruction of Jerusalem
                      (note the extent of the blood which would cover the entire land of
                      Palestine). The New Jerusalem is ever "coming down from God out of
                      Heaven" but never residing on earth. I think the closest resemblance to
                      my view would be that of Augustine in City of God. I don't know why
                      commentator after commentator persists in "outlining" the Apocalypse
                      based on various other factors when caps 4 ff clearly are structured on
                      the basis of the opening of the seals and the account of what then
                      occurs. BTW: There is no Millenium mentioned in the Apocalypse. The
                      1000 yrs is based on Is 65.20 and apocryphal literature such as Barnabas
                      15 and Jubilees 23.26-29.

                    • Ian R. Brown
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 7, 2006
                        Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
                        wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?

                        Thanks,
                        Ian R. Brown
                        Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
                          You could try asking his supervisor, Prof Chris Rowland
                          christopher.rowland@...

                          Ian Paul

                          On 8 Apr 2006, at 00:30, Ian R. Brown wrote:

                          > Does anyone on the list know how I can contact Seth Turner who recently
                          > wrote a dissertation on Rev 11:1-13 at Oxford?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Ian R. Brown
                          > Ph.D. in Religion Candidate
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          _________________
                          Revd Dr Ian Paul
                          Dean of Studies, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm NG9 3DS
                          w 0115 925 1114 x 254 h 0115 922 9699 m 07974
                          351502
                          http://www.stjohns-nottm.ac.uk
                          Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
                          9HU
                          01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
                          http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
                          If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.