Re: [revelation-list] New moderator

  • Timothy P. Jenney
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24, 2006
      Hi, everyone!

      The timing of Dr. Adamsen's announcement caught me a bit by surprise, as I
      have been out of the office for several days. I am, of course, both willing
      and honored to serve as moderator for this list, of which I have been a
      member for more than ten years.

      I trust that I will continue to manage this list in the fine tradition
      established by Georg Adamsen, to whom we all owe a huge round of thanks.

      This has been a great couple of decades for those of us interested in
      Revelation, as we have seen the publication of a number of scholarly major
      works by Aune, Beale, Schussler-Fiorenza, Thompson and others. Though those
      "big" names rarely appear on postings to this list, I trust that our
      discussions have advanced the overall scholarly understanding of Revelation.

      We have made great strides in our understanding of the various backgrounds
      of Revelation: apocalyptic [here we should acknowledge Hanson and add him to
      the list of scholars already mentioned],the Dead Sea scrolls and
      intertestamental literature, etc.

      However, Revelation studies have stalled in the matter of its liturgical
      setting. I'd like to see more discussion on this aspect. I suspect solving
      it will require us to revisit two of the great controversies of the late
      20th century: 1) Israelite sacral kingship and its enthronement and 2)
      whether the "Day of the Lord" was the source of Israelite eschatology. I've
      offered my own suggestion [see below], others [long ago] have suggested
      others: Passover, all three Israelite pilgrimage feasts, etc.

      At any rate, this list offers those of us interested in Revelation a chance
      to get acquainted, float new ideas, argue about old ones, and generally keep
      each other on our toes. :-)

      Perhaps a bit of my own background is in order:
      I was raised to endless tales of how Revelation prophesied every modern
      crisis; my pastor had an 18', hand painted prophecy curtain, mounted at the
      front of the church, from which he taught every Wednesday night at Bible
      study [shudder].

      After those bad experiences, I avoided Revelation in my undergrad [BA in
      Bible, Central Bible College] and early grad work [MAs in History and
      Biblical Languages, at Missouri State U and the Assemblies of God
      Theological Seminary, respectively], only to rediscover it near the end
      [forced to, actually, but that is another story...].

      I had been working in intertestamental lit at University of Michigan in my
      doctoral program and asked [what seemed to me] a very simple question: "Why
      are the people in Rev. 7 waving palm branches?"

      The end result was my 1993 UM dissertation "The Harvest of the Earth: The
      Feast of Tabernacles in the Book of Revelation," wherein I argued that
      Tabernacles was the cultic setting for the book. That same thesis, expanded
      and refined, underlies the commentary I later published in 1999 as
      "Revelation" in the anthology Full Life Bible Commentary (Zondervan),
      reissued in 2003 under the new title Life in the Spirit New Testament
      Commentary.

      Anyhow, I have seen both sides of the Revelation issue and survived it.
      [Thankfully, I can also report that my experience does NOT include
      membership in the Michigan Militia, the Montana Freedman, or other
      fundamentalist paramilitary groups that ab/use Revelation as part of their
      raison d' etre!].

      I currently live in sunny Winter Haven, FL, where I am an adjunct NT prof at
      Asbury Theological Seminary-Orland and do some online teaching for Regent
      University.

      Blessings to you all,
      Tim Jenney

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 24, 2006
        On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:18:19 -0500 "Timothy P. Jenney"
        <drjenney@...> writes:
> [...]
        > and refined, underlies the commentary I later published in 1999 as
        > "Revelation" in the anthology Full Life Bible Commentary
        > (Zondervan),
        > reissued in 2003 under the new title Life in the Spirit New
        > Testament
        > Commentary.
        >
        > Anyhow, I have seen both sides of the Revelation issue and survived
        > it.
        > [Thankfully, I can also report that my experience does NOT include
        > membership in the Michigan Militia, the Montana Freedman, or other
        > fundamentalist paramilitary groups that ab/use Revelation as part of
        > their
        > raison d' etre!].
        >
        > I currently live in sunny Winter Haven, FL, where I am an adjunct NT
        > prof at
        > Asbury Theological Seminary-Orland and do some online teaching for

        _____________

        Thank you for sharing this information. It is always helpful to have
        some knowledge of another's background. I see that we share much in
        common in regard to our history with the Apocalypse. I have been working
        along the lines of considering much of the Apocalypse as related to
        Succoth. I am interested in your work in this area. Is it generally
        available (perhaps without having to purchase a commentary related to
        many other texts)?

        ___________
      • Timothy P. Jenney
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 24, 2006
          > From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>
          > Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:29:26 -0600
          > To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [revelation-list] New moderator
          >
          >I have been working
          > along the lines of considering much of the Apocalypse as related to
          > Succoth. I am interested in your work in this area. Is it generally
          > available (perhaps without having to purchase a commentary related to
          > many other texts)?
          >
          > george
          > gfsomsel
          > ___________

          George,

          Great to hear of someone else's interest in this theme! My dissertation is
          available through UMI.com: "The harvest of the earth: The Feast of Sukkoth
          in the Book of Revelation." by Jenney, Timothy Paul. 9319553. If you don't
          want to purchase it for yourself, I'd suggest an interlibrary loan.

          Blessings,
          Tim
          ====
          Timothy P. Jenney.
          Adj. NT prof,
          Asbury-Orlando
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2006
            On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:41:22 -0500 "Timothy P. Jenney"
            <drjenney@...> writes:

            > > From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel@...>
            > > Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:29:26 -0600
            > > To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
            > > Subject: Re: [revelation-list] New moderator
            > >
            > >I have been working
            > > along the lines of considering much of the Apocalypse as related
            > > Succoth. I am interested in your work in this area. Is it
            > generally
            > > available (perhaps without having to purchase a commentary related
            > > many other texts)?
            > >
            > > george
            > > gfsomsel
            > > ___________
            > >

            > George,
            >
            > Great to hear of someone else's interest in this theme! My
            > dissertation is
            > available through UMI.com: "The harvest of the earth: The Feast of
            > Sukkoth
            > in the Book of Revelation." by Jenney, Timothy Paul. 9319553. If you
            > don't
            > want to purchase it for yourself, I'd suggest an interlibrary loan.
            >
            > Blessings,
            > Tim
            > ====
            > Timothy P. Jenney.
            > Adj. NT prof,
            > Asbury-Orlando
            ___________

            Thanks. I've ordered it.

            ___________
          • Charles Larkin, 42130
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 24, 2006
              Dear Tim:

              Congratulations for assuming the task List Moderator.

              Are you aware of any studies which explore the relation
              (if any) of the implied time sequence in Revelation to the
              calculations of Archbishop Ussher in his "Annales Veteris
              Testamenti, etc"? According to Ussher's schema the year
              AD 2000 would have marked (approximately) six thousand
              years since the creation of Adam.

              As I'm sure you know, the earliest Christians believed
              that human history would run for 6,000 years -- to be
              followed by the Great Sabbath. These early Christian
              beliefs are to be found in "The Epistle of Barnabas," "The
              Divine Institutes" of Lactantius, etc., based on the
              passages from Ps. 90 and II Peter that state "one day with
              the Lord is as a thousand years for mankind." Saint
              Augustine and others express similar views on Biblical
              historiography. But I'm unaware of any current literature
              on the subject. Perhaps someone might be able to provide
              some guidance.

              Best wishes,
              Charles G. Larkin
              Department of Philosophy and Religion
              Saint Leo University
              Savannah Center

              "Timothy P. Jenney" <drjenney@...> wrote:
> [...]
              >as part of their
              >raison d' etre!].
              >
              >I currently live in sunny Winter Haven, FL, where I am an
              >adjunct NT prof at
              >Asbury Theological Seminary-Orland and do some online
              >teaching for Regent
              >University.
              >
              >Blessings to you all,
              >Tim Jenney
              >

              >> From: "georg_s_adamsen" <georg@...>
              >> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 16:27:58 -0000
              >> To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
              >> Subject: [revelation-list] New moderator
              >>
              >> Dear list members,
              >>
              >> I am happy to announce that Dr. Timothy P. Jenney has
              >>offered to
              >> moderate Revelation-list.
              >>
              >> I assume that he will introduce himself to you soon.
              >>
              >> Technically, I am still a member of this group, but I
              >>will remain as
              >> inactive as I have been for quite a long time.

              CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient. Thank you for your compliance.