New thesis, new book

  • Ariel Alvarez Valdes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2005
      Dear Revelation List Members,

      I am sorry about my former Spanish mail.

      I am glad to let you know that I successfully defended
      my doctoral dissertation on the Apocalypse at the
      University of Salamanca (Spain).
      The topic was: "The New Jerusalem, heavenly city or
      earthly city? Exegetical and Theological Study on Rev
      21,1-8”.
      Here is a short abstract in English, from the Prologue
      (I apologize for my English):

      "The aim of this work is to show that the vision of
      the new Jerusalem (Rev 21,1-8), interpreted for the
      majority of authors like referred to the end of the
      times, doesn't contain any element that forces such an
      interpretation. On the contrary, it may be read in a
      more clear way as the announcement of a reality
      referred to Jesus' first coming.

      In general the authors affirm that the death and
      resurrection of Christ has already brought “in some
      way” the new Jerusalem, but it will become patent and
      noticeable in the parousia. This work attempts to
      shows the opposite: with the death and resurrection of
      Christ the new Jerusalem has become patent and
      noticeable (to the eyes John of Patmos), which will
      find “in some way” its fullness in the parousia. I The
      new Jerusalem will arrive to its perfection at the end
      of the times. But it is a theological conclusion that
      the author doesn't care. In the description of the new
      Jerusalem, John thinks mainly in the new situation
      arisen from the death of Christ.

      The book has four chapters.
      The first presents the literary study of Rev 21,1-8.
      In this first part is assumed that Revelation doesn't
      contain one but three descriptions of the new
      Jerusalem, from different perspectives: in 21,1-8 (as
      new creation), in 21,9-27 (as new city), and in 22,1-5
      (as new paradise).
      The second chapter analyzes the three literary units
      of Rev 21,1-8: the vision (21,1-2), the audition
      (21,3-4) and the divine speech (21,5-8). At the end it
      is concluded that Rev 21,1-8 doesn’t contain any
      element that forces to consider the vision of the new
      Jerusalem like a future reality at the end of the
      times. Everything rather makes to think that John
      referred with this image to a situation come out with
      Christ's paschal death.
      As many authors see in the precedent visions
      (19,11-20,15) the second coming of Christ and final
      trial, the third chapter is dedicated to those five
      visions: the eschatological combat (19,11-21), the
      binding of Satan (20,1-3), the millennial Kingdom
      (20,4-6), the battle of Gog and Magog (20,7-10) and
      the final trial (20,11-15). The conclusion here is
      that these visions can also be read from a present
      perspective, without necessity of remitting them to
      the second coming of Christ. Finally, as many authors
      find in the two last visions of the new Jerusalem
      (21,9-27 and 22,1-5) futuristic elements, the fourth
      chapter investigates these ones. The result of the
      exploration is that the two final visions of the book
      contain arguments that justify more a present
      interpretation of the new Jerusalem that a future
      one”.

      Sincerely,

      Ariel Alvarez Valdes
      Prof. of Sacred Scripture and Theology
      Catjolic University of Santiago del Estero
      Argentina
      ---------

      1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
      http://correo.yahoo.com.ar