Re: [revelation-list] Second death

  • KennethGentry@cs.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
      In a message dated 11/12/2005 8:39:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      bobmacdonald@... writes:

      > Ken - re John 5:24-29; these verses are part of a double
      > chiasm with the centre of each focussing on opposites -
      > believing and non believing. Given the complex concentric
      > structures in Revelation, it is possible that the same poet
      > wrote both - but hardly necessary.

      Bob:

      I do not used the seeming relationship between Rev 20 and John 5 as evidence
      for Johannine authorship of Rev. 20. I already have in mind (from other
      evidence) that John is the author of both the Gospel and the Revelation. Having that
      in mind, I see a double resurrection in John 5 and suppose that since (on
      other grounds) John wrote Rev 20, that he would be picking up on his already
      established two resurrection motif.

      I see Rev 11:2 as reflecting Luke 21:24 also. But I (obviously) wouldn't say
      this is evidence Luke wrote Revelation.

      I am afraid I may have made you think I was using the Rev 20 / John 5
      similarity as evidence of authorship. That was a mistaken impression that I didn't
      intend.

      Thanks,

      Ken

      Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., M.Div, Th.M., Th.D
      www.KennethGentry.com
      "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

      Chancellor and Research Professor in Theology
      Christ College, Lynchburg, Virginia
      www.Christ-College.edu