Second death

  • Bob MacDonald
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 10 11:18 PM
      quiet list,

      what precedent is there for the phrase second death?

      to the author of Revelation, what death is first?

      thanks

      Bob

      Bob MacDonald
      http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
      Victoria, B.C., Canada

      Catch the foxes for us,
    • MORIAH
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 10 11:37 PM
        shhhhh. You will awaken a monster!

      • KennethGentry@cs.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 11 5:01 AM
          In a message dated 11/11/2005 2:15:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          bobmacdonald@... writes:

          > to the author of Revelation, what death is first?

          I believe John the Apostle wrote both Revelation and the Gospel. I suspect
          John 5:24-29 is the backdrop for the imagery of Revelation 20. The first death
          is spiritual death into which we are born. The second death is eternal
          punishment into which those who do not turn to Christ descend.

          This would fit with the Pauline conception, as well: Ephesians 2:1, 5 speaks
          of the original spiritual death overcome by the new spiritual life -- which is
          entered into by a spiritual resurrection (Eph. 2:6).

          The first death / second death parallel in some respects the "born again"
          concept that appears in John 3. In that case, however, the first birth is the
          physical birth, the new or second (born again) experience is the spiritual birth
          by the grace of God (cp. also John 1:12-13.

          Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., M.Div, Th.M., Th.D
          www.KennethGentry.com
          "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

          Chancellor and Research Professor in Theology
          Christ College, Lynchburg, Virginia
          www.Christ-College.edu

        • Bob MacDonald
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 11 5:59 AM
            Thanks Kenneth

            your answer is traditional, perhaps however, making a unity
            out in a way that what was not so intended by the
            author(s). Not that there is disunity but perhaps a
            differing coherence than the traditional.

            Not exactly out of line with your traditional thought
            process, I want to suggest that the first death is baptism -
            a death in the death of Christ. The second death is then
            physical death - the consequence of observable first birth.

            Whatever the ancients believed about 'life after death' is
            then not required as part of our speculation. After the
            first death, they claim they have a taste of the presence of
            God by the Holy Spirit. Whoever overcomes then is not
            afraid of the second death because the overcomer knows the
            eternal fire is love not judgment. The image of fire is
            consistently one of these two in the Scripture, particularly
            the fire of the Spirit. Consider the use of seraphim in the
            fiery serpents, Isaiah 6, and the referent in John 3 just as
            a start.

            This thesis needs more exegetical and historical critical
            and linguistic support in order to get inside the mind of
            the first century writers. I do not find the traditional
            interpretation a helpful start. It seems to me to be an
            accretion of theology and imagined cosmology.

            Bob

            Bob MacDonald
            http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
            Victoria, B.C., Canada

            Catch the foxes for us,

            bobmacdonald@... writes:

            > to the author of Revelation, what death is first?

            I believe John the Apostle wrote both Revelation and the
            Gospel. I suspect
            John 5:24-29 is the backdrop for the imagery of Revelation
            20. The first death
            is spiritual death into which we are born. The second death
            is eternal
            punishment into which those who do not turn to Christ
            descend.

            This would fit with the Pauline conception, as well:
            Ephesians 2:1, 5 speaks
            of the original spiritual death overcome by the new
            spiritual life -- which is
            entered into by a spiritual resurrection (Eph. 2:6).

            The first death / second death parallel in some respects the
            "born again"
            concept that appears in John 3. In that case, however, the
            first birth is the
            physical birth, the new or second (born again) experience is
            the spiritual birth
            by the grace of God (cp. also John 1:12-13.

            Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., M.Div, Th.M., Th.D
            www.KennethGentry.com
            "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

            Chancellor and Research Professor in Theology
            Christ College, Lynchburg, Virginia
            www.Christ-College.edu

            ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups
            Sponsor --------------------~-->
            Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo!
            your home page
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/D1XolB/TM
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 11 6:14 AM
              On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:01:11 EST KennethGentry@... writes:
              > In a message dated 11/11/2005 2:15:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              > bobmacdonald@... writes:
              >

              > > to the author of Revelation, what death is first?
              >
              > I believe John the Apostle wrote both Revelation and the Gospel. I
              > suspect
              > John 5:24-29 is the backdrop for the imagery of Revelation 20. The
              > first death
              > is spiritual death into which we are born. The second death is
              > eternal
              > punishment into which those who do not turn to Christ descend.
              >
              > This would fit with the Pauline conception, as well: Ephesians 2:1,
              > 5 speaks
              > of the original spiritual death overcome by the new spiritual life
              > -- which is
              > entered into by a spiritual resurrection (Eph. 2:6).
              >
              > The first death / second death parallel in some respects the "born
              > again"
              > concept that appears in John 3. In that case, however, the first
              > birth is the
              > physical birth, the new or second (born again) experience is the
              > spiritual birth
              > by the grace of God (cp. also John 1:12-13.
              >

              > Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., M.Div, Th.M., Th.D
              > www.KennethGentry.com
              > "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"
              >
              > Chancellor and Research Professor in Theology
              > Christ College, Lynchburg, Virginia
              > www.Christ-College.edu
              _______________

              The term "second death" is peculiar to the Apocalypse so the only context
              which we have by which to determine its meaning is that of the book
              itself. In Re 2.9-11 he contrasts the condition of the Church at Smyrna
              as being about to suffer persecution in which he encourages them to "Be
              faithful unto death" with that which is promised to them if they
              "overcome." This term is used throughout the Apocalypse with respect to
              the faithful as indicating the suffering of persecution and even death.
              "To conquer" is to suffer for the name. The church is considered to be
              martyrs as Jesus Christ himself was the first martyr. As such they are,
              in the words of Paul, "being killed all the day long" yet living. Thus
              in Re 20.4-6 they are viewed as already having been beheaded. The "first
              death" is thus an actual physical death which all, including the
              followers of Christ must undergo and which they are viewed proleptically
              as having suffered in the persecution which they undergo. The 1000 yrs
              is thus the life of the Christian who experiences the new life
              (resurrection) in Christ. This is in keeping with Is 65.20
              No more shall there be in it an infant that lives but a few days, or an
              old man who does not fill out his days, for the child shall die a hundred
              years old, and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.
              This is part of the view that the Kingdom is even now present in the New
              Jerusalem "coming down from God out of heaven."

            • dtrini
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 11 10:56 AM
                The Fall.

                West Band and Gaza threat: "After Shabbat comes Sunday"

                Helen

                http://caribpundit.com

                On Nov 11, 2005, at 2:37 AM, MORIAH wrote:

                > shhhhh. You will awaken a monster!

              • ottoerlend
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 11 11:06 AM
                  Hello,

                  Usually "pistin Iesou" in Rev 14:12 is translated as "faith in Jesus"
                  (NET, NAB) or "faith of Jesus" (NRSV) . I guess it's possible to
                  understand the genitive as both subjective and objective; I am not
                  able to see that the context favours either of them. I have also seen a
                  translation like "faithful to Jesus" (cannot remenber where).

                  Now, I was wondering if the following translation might be possible /
                  likely: "faithfulness of Jesus". ("Faithfulness" does seem to be within
                  the semantic realm of "pistis".)

                  What do you think? All kinds of comments (context, semantics, syntax,
                  etc.) might be useful!

                  Best wishes

                  Otto E. Nordgreen
                • Christian Maymann
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 11 1:13 PM
                    Dear Otto Nordgreen

                    The Greek text runs hoi têrountes tas entolas tou theou kai pistin Iesou

                    In 13:10 the referent for pistis most likely is the faith of the holy one.
                    I think that we compare 13:10 and 14:12 for several reasons:
                    i) They belong together, as part of the "Sign" running from 12:1 to 14:20
                    ii) They have two themes in common the pistis and the hypomonê.

                    Therefore pistis Iêsou most likely referees to something that describe the
                    Christians, not Jesus himself, and therefore Iesou is (as I see it) an
                    objective genitive.

                    As You know, there have been an For several years debate about exactly that
                    problem in the letters of Paul. For some general semantic consideration You
                    can read the article "Faith Versus Works of Law in Galatians" in Carson et
                    al. Justification and Variegated Nomism Vol 2, Mohr Siebeck 2004

                    Christian Maymann
                    M.Theol.
                    Copenhagen

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 12 5:44 PM
                      George writes: proleptically as having suffered
                      Ken references a suspicion of a link to John 5:24

                      George - thanks for the note. I think your explanation is
                      not far off from supporting my thesis that the implied first
                      death in Rev is like Paul's image of baptism in Romans, a
                      real identification with the suffering and death of the
                      firstborn and an overcoming through this death. Thank you
                      for the interpretation of the 1000 years - nice work and
                      good idea - one day in thy courts is better than a thousand
                      also comes to mind as an indication of the notion of
                      'eternal' - a subject that has been debated at least since
                      Aquinas

                      Ken - re John 5:24-29; these verses are part of a double
                      chiasm with the centre of each focussing on opposites -
                      believing and non believing. Given the complex concentric
                      structures in Revelation, it is possible that the same poet
                      wrote both - but hardly necessary. (For the double chiasm
                      see http://bmd.gx.ca/synoptic/tuej_only_viii.htm#141

                      I have no axe to grind on this - but sometimes I wonder if
                      the reputed young man in the rich young man story (only in
                      Mark) might not have been the poet of G John (but not John
                      of Patmos) - too many inferences to resolve...

                      Bob

                      Bob MacDonald
                      http://bobmacdonald.gx.ca
                      Victoria, B.C., Canada

                      Catch the foxes for us,
                    • KennethGentry@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 12 6:31 PM
                        In a message dated 11/12/2005 8:39:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        bobmacdonald@... writes:

                        > Ken - re John 5:24-29; these verses are part of a double
                        > chiasm with the centre of each focussing on opposites -
                        > believing and non believing. Given the complex concentric
                        > structures in Revelation, it is possible that the same poet
                        > wrote both - but hardly necessary.

                        Bob:

                        I do not used the seeming relationship between Rev 20 and John 5 as evidence
                        for Johannine authorship of Rev. 20. I already have in mind (from other
                        evidence) that John is the author of both the Gospel and the Revelation. Having that
                        in mind, I see a double resurrection in John 5 and suppose that since (on
                        other grounds) John wrote Rev 20, that he would be picking up on his already
                        established two resurrection motif.

                        I see Rev 11:2 as reflecting Luke 21:24 also. But I (obviously) wouldn't say
                        this is evidence Luke wrote Revelation.

                        I am afraid I may have made you think I was using the Rev 20 / John 5
                        similarity as evidence of authorship. That was a mistaken impression that I didn't
                        intend.

                        Thanks,

                        Ken