Re: [revelation-list] Use of Zechariah?

  • Marko Jauhiainen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
      On 21.01.2005 20:37, Georg S. Adamsen wrote:

      > Are any of you aware of a monograph or a substantial scholarly article
      > dealing with Revelation's use of the Book of Zechariah? Naturally,
      > commentaries and articles dealing with Revelation 6:1-8 also touch on the
      > use of Zechariah. What I am searching for, however, is more substantial
      > contributions that deal with it on an academic level. Are you aware of such?

      There is one coming out in WUNT/II in July. It is entitled "The Use of
      Zechariah in Revelation" and it interacts with Rogers's monograph, among
      others.

      Shalom,
      Marko
    • Timothy P. Jenney
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
        Georg,

        I am surprised that so few study the relationship between these two books.
        I'm aware of no point by point comparison, but there are a number of
        interesting parallels.

        A strong case can be made for Revelation as an expansion of Zech. 14. The
        cultic setting of both Zech. 14 and Revelation is the Feast of Tabernacles
        e.g. (Rev. 7:9 cf. Zech. 14:18f). [I argued that point in my 1993 Ph.D. diss
        at U Michigan under D. N. Freedman.] With that in mind, I suggest the
        following texts:

        Amsler, S. ³Zacharie et l¹origine d¹apocalyptique.² SVT 22 (1972): 277-31.
        Beaucamp, E. and J-P de Relles, ³Ou est, dans la Liturgie Chretienne, la
        Grande Fete d¹Automne?² Bible et Vie Chrétienne 65 (1965): 45-55.
        Draper, J. A. ³The Heavenly Feast of Tabernacles: Revelation 7:1-17.² JSNT
        19 (1983): 133-47.
        Daniélou, J. ³La Fête des Tabernacles dans l¹exégèse patristique.² In Studia
        Patristica, no. 1:1, edited by K. Aland and F. L. Cross, 262-279.
        ‹‹‹‹. ³Le symbolism eschatologique de la Fête des Tabernacles² Irènikon 31
        (1958): 19-40.
        ‹‹‹‹. ³Les Quatre-Temps de Septembre et la Fête des Tabernacles,² La
        Maison-Dieu 46 (1956): 114-36.
        ‹‹‹‹. Primitive Christian Symbols. Translated by Donald Atwater. Baltimore:
        Helicon Press, 1964.
        Harrelson, W. ³Celebration of the Feast of Booths according to Zech.
        14:16-21.² In Religions in Antiquity, edited by J. Neusner, 88-96. Leiden:
        E. J. Brill, 1968.
        Hruby, K. ³La Fête des Tabernacles au Temple, a là Synagogue et dans le
        Nouveau Testament.² L¹Orient Syrien (Vernon, France) 7 (1962): 163-147.
        Jenney, Timothy. ³Revelation.² Pp. 1535-1629 in The Full Life Bible
        Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan (1999).
        ‹‹‹‹. ³The Harvest of the Earth: The Feast of Sukkoth in the Book of
        Revelation.² Ph.D. diss. Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan (1993).
        MacRae, G. H. ³The Meaning and Evolution of the Feast of Tabernacles.² CBQ
        22 (1960): 251-76.
        Mowinckel, S. He That Cometh. New York: Abingdon Press, 1954.
        ‹‹‹‹. Psalmenstudien II: Das Thronbesteigungsfest Jahwäs und der Ursprung
        der Eschatologie. Kristiania: Videnskapsselskapets Skrifter, 1922.
        North, R. ³Prophecy to Apocalyptic via Zechariah.² SVT 22 (1972): 42-71.
        ‹‹‹‹. ³Zechariah¹s Seven-Spout Lampstand.² Biblica 51 (1970): 183-206.
        Ulfgard, H. Feast and Future: Revelation 7:9-17 and the Feast of
        Tabernacles. Coniectanea Biblica New Testament Series, no. 22. Lund: Wallin
        & Dalholm, 1989.
        von Rad, G."The Origin of the Day of Yahweh.² JSS 4 (1959): 103-104.
        Walford, J. F. ³La fête des Tabernacles était une prophétie de la future
        restauration d¹Israël et serait observée dans le millénaire.² BS 106 (1949):
        27ff.

        Blessings,

        Timothy P. Jenney
        Winter Haven, FL
        Adjunct Prof., Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando

      • cesar espinoza
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
          I checked the Anchor bible commentary and was quite enlightned. Also check the targums on Zechariah. An interesting point is the mention of Joshua the high priest and the connection to the two annointed. There is a parallel in Revelation. Most importanly is the striking down of "the one close to him" that is God (the beloved of God) in Zechariah.

          Marko Jauhiainen <marko.jauhiainen@...> wrote:
          On 21.01.2005 20:37, Georg S. Adamsen wrote:

          > Are any of you aware of a monograph or a substantial scholarly article
          > dealing with Revelation's use of the Book of Zechariah? Naturally,
          > commentaries and articles dealing with Revelation 6:1-8 also touch on the
          > use of Zechariah. What I am searching for, however, is more substantial
          > contributions that deal with it on an academic level. Are you aware of such?

          There is one coming out in WUNT/II in July. It is entitled "The Use of
          Zechariah in Revelation" and it interacts with Rogers's monograph, among
          others.

          Shalom,
          Marko

        • Ian R. Brown
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
            Of possible interest is ...

            Record 1 of 1
            LOCATIONS Stacks/Main Floor
            AUTHOR Wong, Chan-kok.
            TITLE The interpretation of Zechariah 3, 4 and 6 in the New Testament

            and early Christianity / by Chan-Kok Wong,
            PUB INFO 1992.
            DESCRIPT. 235 p.
            NOTE Thesis (Ph. D.)--Westminster Theological Seminary, 1992.
            NOTE Includes abstract.
            NOTE Includes bibliographical references (p. 214-235)
            NOTE Photocopy. Ann Arbor, Mich. : University Microfilms
            International, 1992. 22 cm.
            SUBJECT Bible. O.T. Zechariah 3-4 -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. --

            History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
            SUBJECT Bible. O.T. Zechariah 6 -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. --
            History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
            1 > Stacks/Main Floor BS1665.2 .W65 1992 AVAILABLE

            Ian R. Brown