Re: [revelation-list] Use of Zechariah?

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
      Georg,

      I have not read but see listed on World Cat/OCLC:

      Rogers, Randolph R., An Exegetical analysis of John's use of Zechariah in the
      book of Revelation: the impact and transformation of Zechariah's text and
      themes in the Apocalypse (PhD dissertation, Southwestern Baptist Theological
      Seminary, Texas, 2002, [2], xv, 201 leaves [bibliography: 180-201]

      best,
      Stephen Goranson
    • Ariel Alvarez Valdes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
        Georg,
        In order to increase your list of Literature with
        respect to Rev 6:1-8, I can mention a brand new book,
        very big and complete (764 pg), in Spanish, entitled:

        EL CABALLO BLANCO EN EL APOCALIPSIS (Ap.
        6,1-2/19,11-16) Y LA PRESENCIA DE CRISTO RESUCITADO EN
        LA HISTORIA, de Luis María Guerra Suarez, Instituto
        Superior de Teología Islas Canarias, Zamora 2004.

        Ariel Alvarez Valdes

        --- "Georg S. Adamsen" <georg@...>
        escribió:

> [...]
        >
        > You are welcome to send responses on the list or off
        > the list. In the latter
        > case, I will summarize and build a bibliography for
        > this topic and post it
        > to the list. I enclose the articles that I already
        > know. I am not so far
        > aware of any monograph or substantial articles.
        >
        > Dr. Georg S. Adamsen
        >

        > Literature with respect to Rev 6:1-8
        >
        > Allo, E.-B. "Le premier cavalier du chapitre VI de
        > l'Apocalypse." RB 11
        > (1914): 5-36.
        >
        > Bachmann, Michael. "Die apokalyptische Reiter:
        > Dürers Holzschnitt und die
        > Auslegungsgeschichte von Apk 6,1-8." ZTK 86 (1989):
        > 33-58.
        >
        > ________. "Der erste apokalyptischer Reiter und die
        > Anlage des letzten
        > Buches der Bibel." Bib 67 (1986): 240-75.
        >
        > ________. "Die negative Karriere des ersten
        > apokalyptischen Reiters." Pages
        > 15-26 in Zu Dürers Zeiten: Druckgraphik des 15. und
        > 16. Jahrhunderts aus dem
        > Augustinermuseum Freiburg. Edited by S. Bock.
        > Freiburg: , 1991.
        >
        > ________. "Noch ein Blick auf den Ersten
        > apokalyptischen Reiter (von Apk
        > 6.1-2)." NTS 44 (1998): 257-78.
        >
        > Baldensperger, G. "Les cavaliers de l'Apocalypse (6
        > 1-8)." RHPR 4 (1924):
        > 1-31.
        >
        > Considine, J. S. "The Rider on the White Horse." CBQ
        > 6 (1944): 406-22.
        >
        > Feuillet, André. "Le premier cavalier de
        > l'Apocalypse." ZNW 57 (1966):
        > 229-59.
        >
        > Giesen, Heinz. "Im Dienst der Weltherrschaft Gottes
        > und des Lammes: Die vier
        > apokalyptischen Reiter (Offb 6,1-8)." Studien Zum
        > Neuen Testament Und Seiner
        > Umwelt 22 (1997): 92-124.
        >
        > Haapa, E. "Farben und Funktionen bei den
        > apokalyptischen Reitern."
        > Teologinen Aikakauskija 73 (1968): 216-25.
        >
        > Herzer, Jens. "Der erste apokalyptische Reiter und
        > der König der Könige: Ein
        > Beitrag zur Christologie der Johannesapokalypse."
        > NTS 45 (1999): 230-49.
        >
        > Hodges, Z. C. "The First Horseman of the
        > Apocalypse." BSac 119 (1962):
        > 324-34.
        >
        > Kerkeslager, Allan. "Apollo, Greco-Roman Prophecy,
        > and the Rider on the
        > White Horse in Rev. 6:2." JBL 112 (1993): 116-21.
        >
        > Lamarche, Paul. Zacharie IX-XIV: Structure
        > littéraire et Messianisme. Études
        > Biblique. Paris: J. Gabalda et Cie, 1961.
        >
        > Lambrecht, Jan. "The Opening of the Seals (Rev
        > 6,1--8,6)." Bib 79 (1998):
        > 198-220.
        >
        > Poirier, John C. "The First Rider: A Response to
        > Michael Bachmann." NTS 45
        > (1999): 257-63.
        >
        > Rissi, Mathias. "The Rider on the White Horse." Int
        > 18 (1964): 407-18.
        >
        > Strand, Kenneth A. "The Two Olive Trees of Zechariah
        > and Revelation 11."
        > AUSS 20 (1982): 267-261.
        >
        > Wong, Daniel K. K. "The First Horseman of Revelation

        Correo Yahoo!
      • Marko Jauhiainen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
          On 21.01.2005 20:37, Georg S. Adamsen wrote:

          > Are any of you aware of a monograph or a substantial scholarly article
          > dealing with Revelation's use of the Book of Zechariah? Naturally,
          > commentaries and articles dealing with Revelation 6:1-8 also touch on the
          > use of Zechariah. What I am searching for, however, is more substantial
          > contributions that deal with it on an academic level. Are you aware of such?

          There is one coming out in WUNT/II in July. It is entitled "The Use of
          Zechariah in Revelation" and it interacts with Rogers's monograph, among
          others.

          Shalom,
          Marko
        • Timothy P. Jenney
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
            Georg,

            I am surprised that so few study the relationship between these two books.
            I'm aware of no point by point comparison, but there are a number of
            interesting parallels.

            A strong case can be made for Revelation as an expansion of Zech. 14. The
            cultic setting of both Zech. 14 and Revelation is the Feast of Tabernacles
            e.g. (Rev. 7:9 cf. Zech. 14:18f). [I argued that point in my 1993 Ph.D. diss
            at U Michigan under D. N. Freedman.] With that in mind, I suggest the
            following texts:

            Amsler, S. ³Zacharie et l¹origine d¹apocalyptique.² SVT 22 (1972): 277-31.
            Beaucamp, E. and J-P de Relles, ³Ou est, dans la Liturgie Chretienne, la
            Grande Fete d¹Automne?² Bible et Vie Chrétienne 65 (1965): 45-55.
            Draper, J. A. ³The Heavenly Feast of Tabernacles: Revelation 7:1-17.² JSNT
            19 (1983): 133-47.
            Daniélou, J. ³La Fête des Tabernacles dans l¹exégèse patristique.² In Studia
            Patristica, no. 1:1, edited by K. Aland and F. L. Cross, 262-279.
            ‹‹‹‹. ³Le symbolism eschatologique de la Fête des Tabernacles² Irènikon 31
            (1958): 19-40.
            ‹‹‹‹. ³Les Quatre-Temps de Septembre et la Fête des Tabernacles,² La
            Maison-Dieu 46 (1956): 114-36.
            ‹‹‹‹. Primitive Christian Symbols. Translated by Donald Atwater. Baltimore:
            Helicon Press, 1964.
            Harrelson, W. ³Celebration of the Feast of Booths according to Zech.
            14:16-21.² In Religions in Antiquity, edited by J. Neusner, 88-96. Leiden:
            E. J. Brill, 1968.
            Hruby, K. ³La Fête des Tabernacles au Temple, a là Synagogue et dans le
            Nouveau Testament.² L¹Orient Syrien (Vernon, France) 7 (1962): 163-147.
            Jenney, Timothy. ³Revelation.² Pp. 1535-1629 in The Full Life Bible
            Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan (1999).
            ‹‹‹‹. ³The Harvest of the Earth: The Feast of Sukkoth in the Book of
            Revelation.² Ph.D. diss. Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan (1993).
            MacRae, G. H. ³The Meaning and Evolution of the Feast of Tabernacles.² CBQ
            22 (1960): 251-76.
            Mowinckel, S. He That Cometh. New York: Abingdon Press, 1954.
            ‹‹‹‹. Psalmenstudien II: Das Thronbesteigungsfest Jahwäs und der Ursprung
            der Eschatologie. Kristiania: Videnskapsselskapets Skrifter, 1922.
            North, R. ³Prophecy to Apocalyptic via Zechariah.² SVT 22 (1972): 42-71.
            ‹‹‹‹. ³Zechariah¹s Seven-Spout Lampstand.² Biblica 51 (1970): 183-206.
            Ulfgard, H. Feast and Future: Revelation 7:9-17 and the Feast of
            Tabernacles. Coniectanea Biblica New Testament Series, no. 22. Lund: Wallin
            & Dalholm, 1989.
            von Rad, G."The Origin of the Day of Yahweh.² JSS 4 (1959): 103-104.
            Walford, J. F. ³La fête des Tabernacles était une prophétie de la future
            restauration d¹Israël et serait observée dans le millénaire.² BS 106 (1949):
            27ff.

            Blessings,

            Timothy P. Jenney
            Winter Haven, FL
            Adjunct Prof., Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando

          • cesar espinoza
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 21, 2005
              I checked the Anchor bible commentary and was quite enlightned. Also check the targums on Zechariah. An interesting point is the mention of Joshua the high priest and the connection to the two annointed. There is a parallel in Revelation. Most importanly is the striking down of "the one close to him" that is God (the beloved of God) in Zechariah.

              Marko Jauhiainen <marko.jauhiainen@...> wrote:
              On 21.01.2005 20:37, Georg S. Adamsen wrote:

              > Are any of you aware of a monograph or a substantial scholarly article
              > dealing with Revelation's use of the Book of Zechariah? Naturally,
              > commentaries and articles dealing with Revelation 6:1-8 also touch on the
              > use of Zechariah. What I am searching for, however, is more substantial
              > contributions that deal with it on an academic level. Are you aware of such?

              There is one coming out in WUNT/II in July. It is entitled "The Use of
              Zechariah in Revelation" and it interacts with Rogers's monograph, among
              others.

              Shalom,
              Marko

            • Ian R. Brown
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 23, 2005
                Of possible interest is ...

                Record 1 of 1
                LOCATIONS Stacks/Main Floor
                AUTHOR Wong, Chan-kok.
                TITLE The interpretation of Zechariah 3, 4 and 6 in the New Testament

                and early Christianity / by Chan-Kok Wong,
                PUB INFO 1992.
                DESCRIPT. 235 p.
                NOTE Thesis (Ph. D.)--Westminster Theological Seminary, 1992.
                NOTE Includes abstract.
                NOTE Includes bibliographical references (p. 214-235)
                NOTE Photocopy. Ann Arbor, Mich. : University Microfilms
                International, 1992. 22 cm.
                SUBJECT Bible. O.T. Zechariah 3-4 -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. --

                History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
                SUBJECT Bible. O.T. Zechariah 6 -- Criticism, interpretation, etc. --
                History -- Early church, ca. 30-600.
                1 > Stacks/Main Floor BS1665.2 .W65 1992 AVAILABLE

                Ian R. Brown