Re: [revelation-list] The future of this group

  • wpelt@wanadoo.nl
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2005
      I join you all in expressing my compliments for the group. I would love to
      be as optimistic as Otto, but unfortunately I have not been on an
      unmoderated group that did not end in a flame war within 3 months.

      But as the national hero of my country has put it, you do not need hope
      to start a project nor confidence to persevere.

      best,

      wim

      > I too have thoroughly enjoyed this group. Perhaps Otto's suggestion might
      > fly for a while.
      > Don K

    • Richard H. Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2005
        Someone needs to be the moderator unless you want automatic admission to the
        group and no ability to stop abuse/misuse of the privileges automatically
        granted to someone who has absolutely no interest in the subject matter.
        Therefore the system I propose would allow all messages to be posted and the
        moderator would act only if something obviously inappropriate is posted.
        The moderator would also approve new members. It is little too much work to
        read and approve all messages posted to the list.

        Richard H. Anderson

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2005
          I am sure that if we leave it unmoderated it will stop to function as a
          scholarly forum almost immediately. I have moderated many messages - i.e.
          rejected them - during the years (I have been doing that all the time, in
          fact). It is simply necessary. I also think that it is necessary to have a
          "gate keeper". If not, revelation-list will die - very soon.

          Best wishes,

          Georg

          _____

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .