Re: Revelation 22:17

  • Alan Bandy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 25, 2004
      Dave,

      I can see where you might suggest that the erchou could refer to
      Jesus as it does in 22:20. If so, then the referents of the
      participles are inviting Jesus, not the readers, to come. The
      problem is that the invitation is to come and drink freely of the
      living water. It would be problematic to offer Jesus living water,
      since in John 4:10 he is the one offering living water to the
      samaritian woman. Notice also those who are issuing the invitation
      to "come," are the spirit and the bride and the one who is hearing.
      Interestingly, the book of Revelation opens with a promised blessing
      for those who hear (akouoo) this prophecy and obey it. Then in the
      letters to the seven churches those who "have ears to hear what the
      spirit is saying to the churches" indicates a direct address to the
      reader/hearer of Revelation. Therefore, I would say that 22:17 is an
      inclusio to draw the hearers (this emphasizes the orality of the
      original reading) to obey the instructions given throughout this
      book. Now we find in 22:17 that those who now have heard the
      prophecy are inviting "those who are thirsty." One may plausibly
      suggest, then, that this is an echo of John 4 as an invitation for
      sinners to receive salvation. If so, this would consitute an
      evangelistic appeal designed to garner a response to the warnings of
      judgment pronounced in this prophecy. Therefore, I do not think that
      the erchou is addressed to Jesus in 22:17 as it is in 22:20.

      In Christ,

      Alan S. Bandy (alcolex@...)