Re: [revelation-list] Revelation 22:17

  • Dave Delaney
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2004
      That's certainly the sense I have generally gotten from it, so I was
      surprised to see in the notes to the Oxford Annotated edition of the NRSV
      that "'Come,' singular number in Greek, is addressed to Jesus, as v. 20." I
      believe Bruce Metzger did the notes on Revelation, and of course he has
      published on that book in addition to his prodigious Greek work.

      -Dave Delaney
      Roanoke, VA

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 25, 2004
        Dave,

        I can see where you might suggest that the erchou could refer to
        Jesus as it does in 22:20. If so, then the referents of the
        participles are inviting Jesus, not the readers, to come. The
        problem is that the invitation is to come and drink freely of the
        living water. It would be problematic to offer Jesus living water,
        since in John 4:10 he is the one offering living water to the
        samaritian woman. Notice also those who are issuing the invitation
        to "come," are the spirit and the bride and the one who is hearing.
        Interestingly, the book of Revelation opens with a promised blessing
        for those who hear (akouoo) this prophecy and obey it. Then in the
        letters to the seven churches those who "have ears to hear what the
        spirit is saying to the churches" indicates a direct address to the
        reader/hearer of Revelation. Therefore, I would say that 22:17 is an
        inclusio to draw the hearers (this emphasizes the orality of the
        original reading) to obey the instructions given throughout this
        book. Now we find in 22:17 that those who now have heard the
        prophecy are inviting "those who are thirsty." One may plausibly
        suggest, then, that this is an echo of John 4 as an invitation for
        sinners to receive salvation. If so, this would consitute an
        evangelistic appeal designed to garner a response to the warnings of
        judgment pronounced in this prophecy. Therefore, I do not think that
        the erchou is addressed to Jesus in 22:17 as it is in 22:20.

        In Christ,

        Alan S. Bandy (alcolex@...)