Skip to search.

Re: [revelation-list] Revelation 22:17

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24 6:12 AM
      On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:50:28 -0500 "Dave Delaney" <dkd7s@...>
      writes:

      > Is the *erchou* (singular "come") of Revelation 22:17 directed to
      > Jesus (as in 22:20) or to individuals who may be part of the thirsty
      > group in the second half of the verse?
      >
      > -Dave Delaney
      > Roanoke VA
      ______________________

      TEXT:

      KAI TO PNEUMA KAI hH NUMFH LEGOUSIN, ERXOU. KAI hO AKOUWN EIPATW, ERXOU.
      KAI hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHW DWREAN

      I would understand it as expressing the same thought as the hO AKOUWN
      (the congregation -- see Re 1.3) state ERXOU KAI hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO
      QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHS DWREAN. The congregation is invited to come who
      in turn invite all who thirst to come.

    • Dave Delaney
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24 2:33 PM
        That's certainly the sense I have generally gotten from it, so I was
        surprised to see in the notes to the Oxford Annotated edition of the NRSV
        that "'Come,' singular number in Greek, is addressed to Jesus, as v. 20." I
        believe Bruce Metzger did the notes on Revelation, and of course he has
        published on that book in addition to his prodigious Greek work.

        -Dave Delaney
        Roanoke, VA

        >> Is the *erchou* (singular "come") of Revelation 22:17 directed to
        >> Jesus (as in 22:20) or to individuals who may be part of the thirsty
        >> group in the second half of the verse?
        >>
        >> -Dave Delaney
        >> Roanoke VA
        > ______________________
        >
        > TEXT:
        >
        > KAI TO PNEUMA KAI hH NUMFH LEGOUSIN, ERXOU. KAI hO AKOUWN EIPATW, ERXOU.
        > KAI hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHW DWREAN
        >
        > I would understand it as expressing the same thought as the hO AKOUWN
        > (the congregation -- see Re 1.3) state ERXOU KAI hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO
        > QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHS DWREAN. The congregation is invited to come who
        > in turn invite all who thirst to come.
        >
        > george

      • Alan Bandy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 25 8:30 AM
          Dave,

          I can see where you might suggest that the erchou could refer to
          Jesus as it does in 22:20. If so, then the referents of the
          participles are inviting Jesus, not the readers, to come. The
          problem is that the invitation is to come and drink freely of the
          living water. It would be problematic to offer Jesus living water,
          since in John 4:10 he is the one offering living water to the
          samaritian woman. Notice also those who are issuing the invitation
          to "come," are the spirit and the bride and the one who is hearing.
          Interestingly, the book of Revelation opens with a promised blessing
          for those who hear (akouoo) this prophecy and obey it. Then in the
          letters to the seven churches those who "have ears to hear what the
          spirit is saying to the churches" indicates a direct address to the
          reader/hearer of Revelation. Therefore, I would say that 22:17 is an
          inclusio to draw the hearers (this emphasizes the orality of the
          original reading) to obey the instructions given throughout this
          book. Now we find in 22:17 that those who now have heard the
          prophecy are inviting "those who are thirsty." One may plausibly
          suggest, then, that this is an echo of John 4 as an invitation for
          sinners to receive salvation. If so, this would consitute an
          evangelistic appeal designed to garner a response to the warnings of
          judgment pronounced in this prophecy. Therefore, I do not think that
          the erchou is addressed to Jesus in 22:17 as it is in 22:20.

          In Christ,

          Alan S. Bandy (alcolex@...)