Revelation 22:17

  • Dave Delaney
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 24, 2004
      Is the *erchou* (singular "come") of Revelation 22:17 directed to Jesus (as in 22:20) or to individuals who may be part of the thirsty group in the second half of the verse?

      -Dave Delaney
      Roanoke VA

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 24, 2004
        On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 06:50:28 -0500 "Dave Delaney" <dkd7s@...>
        writes:

        > Is the *erchou* (singular "come") of Revelation 22:17 directed to
        > Jesus (as in 22:20) or to individuals who may be part of the thirsty
        > group in the second half of the verse?
        >
        > -Dave Delaney
        > Roanoke VA
        ______________________

        TEXT:

        KAI TO PNEUMA KAI hH NUMFH LEGOUSIN, ERXOU. KAI hO AKOUWN EIPATW, ERXOU.
        KAI hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHW DWREAN

        I would understand it as expressing the same thought as the hO AKOUWN
        (the congregation -- see Re 1.3) state ERXOU KAI hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO
        QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHS DWREAN. The congregation is invited to come who
        in turn invite all who thirst to come.

      • Dave Delaney
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 24, 2004
          That's certainly the sense I have generally gotten from it, so I was
          surprised to see in the notes to the Oxford Annotated edition of the NRSV
          that "'Come,' singular number in Greek, is addressed to Jesus, as v. 20." I
          believe Bruce Metzger did the notes on Revelation, and of course he has
          published on that book in addition to his prodigious Greek work.

          -Dave Delaney
          Roanoke, VA

          >> Is the *erchou* (singular "come") of Revelation 22:17 directed to
          >> Jesus (as in 22:20) or to individuals who may be part of the thirsty
          >> group in the second half of the verse?
          >>
          >> -Dave Delaney
          >> Roanoke VA
          > ______________________
          >
          > TEXT:
          >
          > KAI TO PNEUMA KAI hH NUMFH LEGOUSIN, ERXOU. KAI hO AKOUWN EIPATW, ERXOU.
          > KAI hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHW DWREAN
          >
          > I would understand it as expressing the same thought as the hO AKOUWN
          > (the congregation -- see Re 1.3) state ERXOU KAI hO DIYWN ERXESQW, hO
          > QELWN LABETW hUDWR ZWHS DWREAN. The congregation is invited to come who
          > in turn invite all who thirst to come.
          >
          > george

        • Alan Bandy
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 25, 2004
            Dave,

            I can see where you might suggest that the erchou could refer to
            Jesus as it does in 22:20. If so, then the referents of the
            participles are inviting Jesus, not the readers, to come. The
            problem is that the invitation is to come and drink freely of the
            living water. It would be problematic to offer Jesus living water,
            since in John 4:10 he is the one offering living water to the
            samaritian woman. Notice also those who are issuing the invitation
            to "come," are the spirit and the bride and the one who is hearing.
            Interestingly, the book of Revelation opens with a promised blessing
            for those who hear (akouoo) this prophecy and obey it. Then in the
            letters to the seven churches those who "have ears to hear what the
            spirit is saying to the churches" indicates a direct address to the
            reader/hearer of Revelation. Therefore, I would say that 22:17 is an
            inclusio to draw the hearers (this emphasizes the orality of the
            original reading) to obey the instructions given throughout this
            book. Now we find in 22:17 that those who now have heard the
            prophecy are inviting "those who are thirsty." One may plausibly
            suggest, then, that this is an echo of John 4 as an invitation for
            sinners to receive salvation. If so, this would consitute an
            evangelistic appeal designed to garner a response to the warnings of
            judgment pronounced in this prophecy. Therefore, I do not think that
            the erchou is addressed to Jesus in 22:17 as it is in 22:20.

            In Christ,

            Alan S. Bandy (alcolex@...)