Partial Preterist Perspectives on Chilton

  • COATES (MORIAH PLASTICS)
    Message 1 of 13 , May 22, 2004
      For those who subscribe to a partial preterist view of The Revelation, David
      Chilton's "The Days of Vengeance" is an indispensable commentary. Does
      anyone have any perspective on what seems to be a decided bias towards
      "Orthodoxy" against Protestantism with respect to the issues of primacy of
      church over canon? Is this indicative of a shying away from full preterism
      or has Chilton defended this orthodox approach somewhere else?

      I am also interested in finding some Eastern Orthodox interpretations of The
      Revelation. Can anyone point me in this direction?

      Jason Coates
      Johannesburg
      South Africa
    • Don K
      Message 2 of 13 , May 22, 2004
        Perhaps it would be helpful to note that Chilton adopted the full preterist
        view before his untimely death. He presented some of his reasons why at a
        prophecy conference in Oklahoma City, in 1997, that I helped to plan. Tapes
        of that session are available from me.
        Not sure how much that answers your specific question, but thought it might
        be helpful as somewhat of a caveat. In other words, Chilton wound up
        ultimately rejecting the "church over canon" perspective that does seem, at
        times, to shine through in "Vengeance."
        Don K. Preston
        Who Is This Babylon?

        > For those who subscribe to a partial preterist view of The Revelation,
        David
        > Chilton's "The Days of Vengeance" is an indispensable commentary. Does
        > anyone have any perspective on what seems to be a decided bias towards
        > "Orthodoxy" against Protestantism with respect to the issues of primacy of
        > church over canon? Is this indicative of a shying away from full preterism
        > or has Chilton defended this orthodox approach somewhere else?
        >
        > I am also interested in finding some Eastern Orthodox interpretations of
        The
        > Revelation. Can anyone point me in this direction?
        >
        > Jason Coates
        > Johannesburg
        > South Africa
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kevin P. Edgecomb
        Message 3 of 13 , May 22, 2004
          For Eastern Orthodox interpretations of Revelation:

          The Apocalypse in the Teachings of Ancient Christianity, Archbishop Averky,
          available here:
          http://www.stherman.com/catalog/chapter_eight/Apoc_book.htm
          (older editions of the book are simply titled "Apocalypse;" much is drawn
          from Andrew of Caesarea's ancient commentary on Revelation)

          For more general, modern Eastern Orthodox eschatology, which touches often
          on Revelation:

          Dennis Eugene Englemann, A Rumor of War: Christ's Millennial Reign and the
          Rapture of the Church. Salisbury, MA: Regina Orthodox Press,
          2001. Available here:
          http://store.yahoo.com/reginaorthodoxpress/rumorofwar.html
          (The subtitle is potentially misleading; the book is a ciritique of
          pre-trib./pre-millennial interpretations, and presents the amillennial as
          the preferred, patristic Orthodox eschatology.)

          Dennis E. Englemann, Ultimate Things: An Orthodox Christian Perspective on
          the End Times. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 1995. Available here:
          http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/ultimate_things.html

          Regards,
          Kevin P. Edgecomb
          Berkeley, California