RE: [revelation-list] Library Resources in the Toronto Area

  • Jon Paulien
    Message 1 of 13 , May 20 8:55 AM
      We have about 500 facsimiles of NT MSS and Larry Richards is buying some
      more in England as I write. I'm sure Rev is well represented among them.

      Jon

      Message 2 of 13 , May 20 8:59 AM
        Juan,

        Why don't you attach the bibliography to this list so everyone can benefit
        from your work? Andrews has many works in Spanish, but I don't think our
        library has tried to be comprehensive.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 13 , May 22 12:01 AM
          For those who subscribe to a partial preterist view of The Revelation, David
          Chilton's "The Days of Vengeance" is an indispensable commentary. Does
          anyone have any perspective on what seems to be a decided bias towards
          "Orthodoxy" against Protestantism with respect to the issues of primacy of
          church over canon? Is this indicative of a shying away from full preterism
          or has Chilton defended this orthodox approach somewhere else?

          I am also interested in finding some Eastern Orthodox interpretations of The
          Revelation. Can anyone point me in this direction?

          Jason Coates
          Johannesburg
          South Africa
        • Don K
          Message 4 of 13 , May 22 3:44 AM
            Perhaps it would be helpful to note that Chilton adopted the full preterist
            view before his untimely death. He presented some of his reasons why at a
            prophecy conference in Oklahoma City, in 1997, that I helped to plan. Tapes
            of that session are available from me.
            Not sure how much that answers your specific question, but thought it might
            be helpful as somewhat of a caveat. In other words, Chilton wound up
            ultimately rejecting the "church over canon" perspective that does seem, at
            times, to shine through in "Vengeance."
            Don K. Preston
            Who Is This Babylon?

            > For those who subscribe to a partial preterist view of The Revelation,
            David
            > Chilton's "The Days of Vengeance" is an indispensable commentary. Does
            > anyone have any perspective on what seems to be a decided bias towards
            > "Orthodoxy" against Protestantism with respect to the issues of primacy of
            > church over canon? Is this indicative of a shying away from full preterism
            > or has Chilton defended this orthodox approach somewhere else?
            >
            > I am also interested in finding some Eastern Orthodox interpretations of
            The
            > Revelation. Can anyone point me in this direction?
            >
            > Jason Coates
            > Johannesburg
            > South Africa
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kevin P. Edgecomb
            Message 5 of 13 , May 22 3:41 PM
              For Eastern Orthodox interpretations of Revelation:

              The Apocalypse in the Teachings of Ancient Christianity, Archbishop Averky,
              available here:
              http://www.stherman.com/catalog/chapter_eight/Apoc_book.htm
              (older editions of the book are simply titled "Apocalypse;" much is drawn
              from Andrew of Caesarea's ancient commentary on Revelation)

              For more general, modern Eastern Orthodox eschatology, which touches often
              on Revelation:

              Dennis Eugene Englemann, A Rumor of War: Christ's Millennial Reign and the
              Rapture of the Church. Salisbury, MA: Regina Orthodox Press,
              2001. Available here:
              http://store.yahoo.com/reginaorthodoxpress/rumorofwar.html
              (The subtitle is potentially misleading; the book is a ciritique of
              pre-trib./pre-millennial interpretations, and presents the amillennial as
              the preferred, patristic Orthodox eschatology.)

              Dennis E. Englemann, Ultimate Things: An Orthodox Christian Perspective on
              the End Times. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 1995. Available here:
              http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/ultimate_things.html

              Regards,
              Kevin P. Edgecomb
              Berkeley, California