RE: [revelation-list] Library Resources in the Toronto Area

  • Jon Paulien
    Message 1 of 13 , May 19, 2004
      I was hoping my comment would just slip quietly into the night, but here
      goes in answer to your question, Joe.

      Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the commitment
      to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes out in
      English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
      dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores, etc., to
      pick up older titles as available.

      Recently, in anticipation of the kinds of things accrediting people ask, our
      librarian sent out asking several major scholarly libraries how many books
      they held in various fields for comparison. In the call number BS 2825,
      which encompasses commentaries and other studies on Revelation, Andrews had
      the largest quantity of books on Revelation in the test group, which
      included Princeton and Harvard, which are presumably right near the top.
      Given the purchasing history, I think it is likely that Andrews has the
      largest collection (quantitatively). Quality is a separate issue and I'm not
      sure how one would make that judgment.

      So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews might be a
      good place to check.

      Jon

      Message 2 of 13 , May 19, 2004
        On May 19, 2004, at 3:05 PM, Jon Paulien wrote:
        > Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the
        > commitment
        > to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes
        > out in
        > English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
        > dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores,
        > etc., to
        > pick up older titles as available.
        > ...So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews
        > might be a
        > good place to check.

        Actually, Jon, this is good stuff to know. Thanks for be willing to
        follow through with an answer. I would think facsimiles of manuscripts
        containing portions the text of John's Apocalypse would be high on the
        list if one was putting together a collection that specialize in the
        book.

        Cheers,
        Joe Weaks
      • Juan Stam
        Message 3 of 13 , May 19, 2004
          Greetings from Costa Rica!

          I would also recommend considering the literature in Spanish, which is very
          rich on Revelation: I will be happy to send names and titles on request.
          Volumes I and II of my own commentary are selling briskly (Vol I now sold
          out), and I am working on volumes III and IV, which will bring to total work
          to about 1500 pp.

          Especially with the Hispanic immigration to the US and other countries, this
          would seem important

          Juan Stam, Costa Rica

          > I was hoping my comment would just slip quietly into the night, but here
          > goes in answer to your question, Joe.
          >
          > Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the
          commitment
          > to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes out in
          > English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
          > dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores, etc.,
          > pick up older titles as available.
          >
          > Recently, in anticipation of the kinds of things accrediting people ask,
          our
          > librarian sent out asking several major scholarly libraries how many books
          > they held in various fields for comparison. In the call number BS 2825,
          > which encompasses commentaries and other studies on Revelation, Andrews
          had
          > the largest quantity of books on Revelation in the test group, which
          > included Princeton and Harvard, which are presumably right near the top.
          > Given the purchasing history, I think it is likely that Andrews has the
          > largest collection (quantitatively). Quality is a separate issue and I'm
          not
          > sure how one would make that judgment.
          >
          > So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews might be a
          > good place to check.
          >
          > Jon

        • Jon Paulien
          Message 4 of 13 , May 20, 2004
            We have about 500 facsimiles of NT MSS and Larry Richards is buying some
            more in England as I write. I'm sure Rev is well represented among them.

            Jon

            On May 19, 2004, at 3:05 PM, Jon Paulien wrote:
            > Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the
            > commitment
            > to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes
            > out in
            > English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
            > dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores,
            > etc., to
            > pick up older titles as available.
            > ...So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews
            > might be a
            > good place to check.

            Actually, Jon, this is good stuff to know. Thanks for be willing to
            follow through with an answer. I would think facsimiles of manuscripts
            containing portions the text of John's Apocalypse would be high on the
            list if one was putting together a collection that specialize in the
            book.

            Cheers,
            Joe Weaks

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Jon Paulien
            Message 5 of 13 , May 20, 2004
              Juan,

              Why don't you attach the bibliography to this list so everyone can benefit
              from your work? Andrews has many works in Spanish, but I don't think our
              library has tried to be comprehensive.

              Jon

              > I was hoping my comment would just slip quietly into the night, but here
              > goes in answer to your question, Joe.
              >
              > Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the
              commitment
              > to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes out in
              > English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
              > dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores, etc.,
              > pick up older titles as available.
              >
              > Recently, in anticipation of the kinds of things accrediting people ask,
              our
              > librarian sent out asking several major scholarly libraries how many books
              > they held in various fields for comparison. In the call number BS 2825,
              > which encompasses commentaries and other studies on Revelation, Andrews
              had
              > the largest quantity of books on Revelation in the test group, which
              > included Princeton and Harvard, which are presumably right near the top.
              > Given the purchasing history, I think it is likely that Andrews has the
              > largest collection (quantitatively). Quality is a separate issue and I'm
              not
              > sure how one would make that judgment.
              >
              > So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews might be a
              > good place to check.
              >
              > Jon

            • COATES (MORIAH PLASTICS)
              Message 6 of 13 , May 22, 2004
                For those who subscribe to a partial preterist view of The Revelation, David
                Chilton's "The Days of Vengeance" is an indispensable commentary. Does
                anyone have any perspective on what seems to be a decided bias towards
                "Orthodoxy" against Protestantism with respect to the issues of primacy of
                church over canon? Is this indicative of a shying away from full preterism
                or has Chilton defended this orthodox approach somewhere else?

                I am also interested in finding some Eastern Orthodox interpretations of The
                Revelation. Can anyone point me in this direction?

                Jason Coates
                Johannesburg
                South Africa
              • Don K
                Message 7 of 13 , May 22, 2004
                  Perhaps it would be helpful to note that Chilton adopted the full preterist
                  view before his untimely death. He presented some of his reasons why at a
                  prophecy conference in Oklahoma City, in 1997, that I helped to plan. Tapes
                  of that session are available from me.
                  Not sure how much that answers your specific question, but thought it might
                  be helpful as somewhat of a caveat. In other words, Chilton wound up
                  ultimately rejecting the "church over canon" perspective that does seem, at
                  times, to shine through in "Vengeance."
                  Don K. Preston
                  Who Is This Babylon?

                  > For those who subscribe to a partial preterist view of The Revelation,
                  David
                  > Chilton's "The Days of Vengeance" is an indispensable commentary. Does
                  > anyone have any perspective on what seems to be a decided bias towards
                  > "Orthodoxy" against Protestantism with respect to the issues of primacy of
                  > church over canon? Is this indicative of a shying away from full preterism
                  > or has Chilton defended this orthodox approach somewhere else?
                  >
                  > I am also interested in finding some Eastern Orthodox interpretations of
                  The
                  > Revelation. Can anyone point me in this direction?
                  >
                  > Jason Coates
                  > Johannesburg
                  > South Africa
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 22, 2004
                    For Eastern Orthodox interpretations of Revelation:

                    The Apocalypse in the Teachings of Ancient Christianity, Archbishop Averky,
                    available here:
                    http://www.stherman.com/catalog/chapter_eight/Apoc_book.htm
                    (older editions of the book are simply titled "Apocalypse;" much is drawn
                    from Andrew of Caesarea's ancient commentary on Revelation)

                    For more general, modern Eastern Orthodox eschatology, which touches often
                    on Revelation:

                    Dennis Eugene Englemann, A Rumor of War: Christ's Millennial Reign and the
                    Rapture of the Church. Salisbury, MA: Regina Orthodox Press,
                    2001. Available here:
                    http://store.yahoo.com/reginaorthodoxpress/rumorofwar.html
                    (The subtitle is potentially misleading; the book is a ciritique of
                    pre-trib./pre-millennial interpretations, and presents the amillennial as
                    the preferred, patristic Orthodox eschatology.)

                    Dennis E. Englemann, Ultimate Things: An Orthodox Christian Perspective on
                    the End Times. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 1995. Available here:
                    http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/ultimate_things.html

                    Regards,
                    Kevin P. Edgecomb
                    Berkeley, California