Library Resources in the Toronto Area

  • Ian R. Brown
    Message 1 of 13 , May 18, 2004
      Dear List Members,
      I may be making a trip to the Toronto area this summer, and I am wondering
      if any libraries there have large collections of books related to
      Revelation. I am currently living in Alaska where such resources are
      limited to those I can purchase or those I can borrow through interlibrary
      loan. It would be nice to visit a library where I can examine numerous
      books at once for my dissertation research.

      Thanks,
      Ian R. Brown
      Ph.D. Candidate
      Andrews University

    • Jon Paulien
      Message 2 of 13 , May 19, 2004
        I don't know. I know Andrews has the largest collection in North America and
        Princeton and Harvard are in the top five. I don't have any sense of what
        there is in Toronto.

        Jon

        Message 3 of 13 , May 19, 2004
          Sorry for my odd-sounding response below. Ian is my student and I thought he
          was addressing me alone. Hope the Toronto dwellers will weigh in on this one
          for his sake.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 13 , May 19, 2004
            > From: Jon Paulien [mailto:jonp@...]
            > I don't know. I know Andrews has the largest collection in North
            > America and
            > Princeton and Harvard are in the top five. I don't have any sense of
            > what
            > there is in Toronto.

            Jon,
            I'm curious what's the nature of your university's collection that
            makes it superior with regards to "Revelation". What types of material
            do you speak of?
            Cheers,
            Joe
          • Charles Larkin, 42130
            Message 5 of 13 , May 19, 2004
              Dear Ian:

              This is just a hunch, for whatever it's worth, but you
              might want to visit the Pontifical Institute for Medieval
              Studies at the University of Toronto.

              Regards,
              Chip Larkin

              On Tue, 18 May 2004 22:04:17 -0800
              "Ian R. Brown" <irbrown@...> wrote:
              >Dear List Members,
              >I may be making a trip to the Toronto area this summer,
              >and I am wondering
              >if any libraries there have large collections of books
              >related to
              >Revelation. I am currently living in Alaska where such
              >resources are
              >limited to those I can purchase or those I can borrow
              >through interlibrary
              >loan. It would be nice to visit a library where I can
              >examine numerous
              >books at once for my dissertation research.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >Ian R. Brown
              >Ph.D. Candidate
              >Andrews University

              CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient. Thank you for your compliance.
            • Jon Paulien
              Message 6 of 13 , May 19, 2004
                I was hoping my comment would just slip quietly into the night, but here
                goes in answer to your question, Joe.

                Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the commitment
                to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes out in
                English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
                dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores, etc., to
                pick up older titles as available.

                Recently, in anticipation of the kinds of things accrediting people ask, our
                librarian sent out asking several major scholarly libraries how many books
                they held in various fields for comparison. In the call number BS 2825,
                which encompasses commentaries and other studies on Revelation, Andrews had
                the largest quantity of books on Revelation in the test group, which
                included Princeton and Harvard, which are presumably right near the top.
                Given the purchasing history, I think it is likely that Andrews has the
                largest collection (quantitatively). Quality is a separate issue and I'm not
                sure how one would make that judgment.

                So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews might be a
                good place to check.

                Jon

                > I don't know. I know Andrews has the largest collection in North
                > America and
                > Princeton and Harvard are in the top five. I don't have any sense of
                > what
                > there is in Toronto.

                Jon,
                I'm curious what's the nature of your university's collection that
                makes it superior with regards to "Revelation". What types of material
                do you speak of?
                Cheers,
                Joe

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Joseph Weaks
                Message 7 of 13 , May 19, 2004
                  On May 19, 2004, at 3:05 PM, Jon Paulien wrote:
                  > Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the
                  > commitment
                  > to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes
                  > out in
                  > English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
                  > dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores,
                  > etc., to
                  > pick up older titles as available.
                  > ...So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews
                  > might be a
                  > good place to check.

                  Actually, Jon, this is good stuff to know. Thanks for be willing to
                  follow through with an answer. I would think facsimiles of manuscripts
                  containing portions the text of John's Apocalypse would be high on the
                  list if one was putting together a collection that specialize in the
                  book.

                  Cheers,
                  Joe Weaks
                • Juan Stam
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 19, 2004
                    Greetings from Costa Rica!

                    I would also recommend considering the literature in Spanish, which is very
                    rich on Revelation: I will be happy to send names and titles on request.
                    Volumes I and II of my own commentary are selling briskly (Vol I now sold
                    out), and I am working on volumes III and IV, which will bring to total work
                    to about 1500 pp.

                    Especially with the Hispanic immigration to the US and other countries, this
                    would seem important

                    Juan Stam, Costa Rica

                    > I was hoping my comment would just slip quietly into the night, but here
                    > goes in answer to your question, Joe.
                    >
                    > Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the
                    commitment
                    > to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes out in
                    > English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
                    > dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores, etc.,
                    > pick up older titles as available.
                    >
                    > Recently, in anticipation of the kinds of things accrediting people ask,
                    our
                    > librarian sent out asking several major scholarly libraries how many books
                    > they held in various fields for comparison. In the call number BS 2825,
                    > which encompasses commentaries and other studies on Revelation, Andrews
                    had
                    > the largest quantity of books on Revelation in the test group, which
                    > included Princeton and Harvard, which are presumably right near the top.
                    > Given the purchasing history, I think it is likely that Andrews has the
                    > largest collection (quantitatively). Quality is a separate issue and I'm
                    not
                    > sure how one would make that judgment.
                    >
                    > So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews might be a
                    > good place to check.
                    >
                    > Jon

                  • Jon Paulien
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 20, 2004
                      We have about 500 facsimiles of NT MSS and Larry Richards is buying some
                      more in England as I write. I'm sure Rev is well represented among them.

                      Jon

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 20, 2004
                        Juan,

                        Why don't you attach the bibliography to this list so everyone can benefit
                        from your work? Andrews has many works in Spanish, but I don't think our
                        library has tried to be comprehensive.

                        Jon

                        > I was hoping my comment would just slip quietly into the night, but here
                        > goes in answer to your question, Joe.
                        >
                        > Some 50 plus years ago the library at Andrews University made the
                        commitment
                        > to buy every book on Revelation (the Apocalypse of John) that comes out in
                        > English, German and French (at least), including many if not most
                        > dissertations. A commitment was also made to scour used bookstores, etc.,
                        > pick up older titles as available.
                        >
                        > Recently, in anticipation of the kinds of things accrediting people ask,
                        our
                        > librarian sent out asking several major scholarly libraries how many books
                        > they held in various fields for comparison. In the call number BS 2825,
                        > which encompasses commentaries and other studies on Revelation, Andrews
                        had
                        > the largest quantity of books on Revelation in the test group, which
                        > included Princeton and Harvard, which are presumably right near the top.
                        > Given the purchasing history, I think it is likely that Andrews has the
                        > largest collection (quantitatively). Quality is a separate issue and I'm
                        not
                        > sure how one would make that judgment.
                        >
                        > So when you are looking for a rare book on Revelation, Andrews might be a
                        > good place to check.
                        >
                        > Jon

                      • COATES (MORIAH PLASTICS)
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 22, 2004
                          For those who subscribe to a partial preterist view of The Revelation, David
                          Chilton's "The Days of Vengeance" is an indispensable commentary. Does
                          anyone have any perspective on what seems to be a decided bias towards
                          "Orthodoxy" against Protestantism with respect to the issues of primacy of
                          church over canon? Is this indicative of a shying away from full preterism
                          or has Chilton defended this orthodox approach somewhere else?

                          I am also interested in finding some Eastern Orthodox interpretations of The
                          Revelation. Can anyone point me in this direction?

                          Jason Coates
                          Johannesburg
                          South Africa
                        • Don K
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 22, 2004
                            Perhaps it would be helpful to note that Chilton adopted the full preterist
                            view before his untimely death. He presented some of his reasons why at a
                            prophecy conference in Oklahoma City, in 1997, that I helped to plan. Tapes
                            of that session are available from me.
                            Not sure how much that answers your specific question, but thought it might
                            be helpful as somewhat of a caveat. In other words, Chilton wound up
                            ultimately rejecting the "church over canon" perspective that does seem, at
                            times, to shine through in "Vengeance."
                            Don K. Preston
                            Who Is This Babylon?

                            > For those who subscribe to a partial preterist view of The Revelation,
                            David
                            > Chilton's "The Days of Vengeance" is an indispensable commentary. Does
                            > anyone have any perspective on what seems to be a decided bias towards
                            > "Orthodoxy" against Protestantism with respect to the issues of primacy of
                            > church over canon? Is this indicative of a shying away from full preterism
                            > or has Chilton defended this orthodox approach somewhere else?
                            >
                            > I am also interested in finding some Eastern Orthodox interpretations of
                            The
                            > Revelation. Can anyone point me in this direction?
                            >
                            > Jason Coates
                            > Johannesburg
                            > South Africa
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Kevin P. Edgecomb
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 22, 2004
                              For Eastern Orthodox interpretations of Revelation:

                              The Apocalypse in the Teachings of Ancient Christianity, Archbishop Averky,
                              available here:
                              http://www.stherman.com/catalog/chapter_eight/Apoc_book.htm
                              (older editions of the book are simply titled "Apocalypse;" much is drawn
                              from Andrew of Caesarea's ancient commentary on Revelation)

                              For more general, modern Eastern Orthodox eschatology, which touches often
                              on Revelation:

                              Dennis Eugene Englemann, A Rumor of War: Christ's Millennial Reign and the
                              Rapture of the Church. Salisbury, MA: Regina Orthodox Press,
                              2001. Available here:
                              http://store.yahoo.com/reginaorthodoxpress/rumorofwar.html
                              (The subtitle is potentially misleading; the book is a ciritique of
                              pre-trib./pre-millennial interpretations, and presents the amillennial as
                              the preferred, patristic Orthodox eschatology.)

                              Dennis E. Englemann, Ultimate Things: An Orthodox Christian Perspective on
                              the End Times. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 1995. Available here:
                              http://conciliarpress.bizhosting.com/ultimate_things.html

                              Regards,
                              Kevin P. Edgecomb
                              Berkeley, California