Re: [revelation-list] revelation as a love story?

  • Timothy P. Jenney
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2004
      Re: [revelation-list] revelation as a love story?

      Certainly a love story is present.

          Marriages, especially ones where the groom “catches away his bride” were a tradition at the autumnal harvest festival (Sukkoth, Tabernacles) (Judg. 21:19-23). One source I read (I believe it was Widengren, Israelite-Jewish Religion, 270-272) stated that the original festival Scripture readings included the Song of Songs, but was later changed to Ruth. Other changes were made in the festival as well, for apparently the rabbis felt there was too much drinking of wine to make a good foundation for selecting a marriage partner (M. Taan. 4:8 cf. M.  Qidd. 9b; 12b; Yad. Ishut 3:21; Sh. Ar., EH. 26:4; 33:1).

      Remember too that Yahweh’s marriage to Israel is the precursor to the Church as the bride of the Messiah.

      Timothy P. Jenney
      Ph. D. U Mich, 1993
      Winter Haven, FL