RE: [revelation-list] revelation as a love story?

  • COATE (MORIAH PLASTICS)
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2004
      The Book is called "The Revelation of Jesus Christ". Any realistic Christian interpretation would understand that Jesus was and was sent because God loved the world. It is a love story on a micro and macro level a book interpreting it as falling within the genre of a love story, I am not so sure. It does seem to have elements of a traditional love story: Hero, antiohero, Virgin bride etc.?

      Jason Coates
      Johannesburg, S. Africa
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2004
        Certainly a love story is present. However, it also seems to me that there is a "divorce story" present as God was divorcing Old Covenant Israel (specifically Judah), for her adulterous ways. I believe the marriage of chapter 19 has to seen in the context of the Old Covenant promises that God would remarry Israel, specifically the 10 tribes. However, to do this, he would ultimately divorce Judah (the nationalistic scepter would pass when Shiloh took the scepter, Genesis 49:1).
        Jehovah had divorced the 10 northern tribes (Hosea) but promised to remarry them (although not nationalistically, that history was terminated by the Assyrians), under the Messiah.
        Although Judah was as treacherous as her northern sister, Jehovah could not divorce her because of the promises of Messiah. When Shiloh came however, He could divorce her for her treachery (take the kingdom from her and give it to another nation, Matthew 21:43), because He had now fulfilled His promises.
        So, I would see Revelation as being about God's faithfulness to "Israel" by bringing "the lion of the Tribe of Judah (Rev. 5:5). This meant that the Covenant promises were now fulfilled. He could remarry "Israel" but not in a nationalistic, ethnic, sense, because Israel had fallen and would never rise again (Hosea 1:5; Amos 5:1-5). However, in her Messiah, she was restored/remarried.
        Revelation is thus the story of God's undying love and His faithfulness to His promises, both of Covenant Wrath and Covenant Blessings.
        Don K. Preston
        Who Is This Babylon?
        Ardmore, Ok.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2004
          Re: [revelation-list] revelation as a love story?

          Certainly a love story is present.

              Marriages, especially ones where the groom “catches away his bride” were a tradition at the autumnal harvest festival (Sukkoth, Tabernacles) (Judg. 21:19-23). One source I read (I believe it was Widengren, Israelite-Jewish Religion, 270-272) stated that the original festival Scripture readings included the Song of Songs, but was later changed to Ruth. Other changes were made in the festival as well, for apparently the rabbis felt there was too much drinking of wine to make a good foundation for selecting a marriage partner (M. Taan. 4:8 cf. M.  Qidd. 9b; 12b; Yad. Ishut 3:21; Sh. Ar., EH. 26:4; 33:1).

          Remember too that Yahweh’s marriage to Israel is the precursor to the Church as the bride of the Messiah.

          Timothy P. Jenney
          Ph. D. U Mich, 1993
          Winter Haven, FL