Re: [revelation-list] Sign of redaction / editi ng? – The Three Woes Revisited

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2004
      On Tuesday, March 30, 2004, at 05:39 AM, polycarp66@... wrote:

      > In 8.13 we have the announcement of 3 impending Woes.  In 9.1-11 we
      > have what would seem to qualify as a "Woe" with its acknowledgment in
      > 9.12 and the reminder that 2 Woes are yet to come.  9.13-21 would seem
      > to qualify as the second Woe (Remember that they were connected with
      > the remaining 3 trumpets in 8.13), but then we have chapters
      > 10.1-11.13 intervening before the pronouncement in 11.14 that the 2nd
      > Woe has passed.  It strikes me that this would qualify as an
      > indication that the interlude of 10.1-11.13 must therefore be an
      > edition of 2nd edition of this previously existing structure of the 3
      > Woes.

      I gave a paper last September at the British NT Conference using the
      occurrence of word frequencies to show the implausibility of Aune's
      theory of redaction, and putting a question mark against all such
      editorial theories. I hope to write it up for JSNT later this year.

      Ian Paul
      Revd Dr Ian Paul
      Director of Partnership Development, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm
      NG9 3DS
      0115 925 1114 x 254
      Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
      9HU
      01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
      http://www.grovebooks.co.uk