Re: [revelation-list] The Seven Thunders

  • Charles Larkin, 42130
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 9, 2004
      No, I did not mean to suggest that Jesus was an astrologer
      but simply that the people of his age were very attuned to
      astrological lore, as testified by the mosaic of the
      zodiac found in the 2nd century synagogue at Tiberias on
      the shores of the Sea of Galilee.

      Do not forget that according to "Acts" Paul and Barnabas
      were once mistaken for Zeus and Apollo -- although, as you
      say, Saint Paul no doubt immediately disabused his well
      intentioned new friends from any such pagan notions.

      Forgive me if my comments were a source of scandal.

      Cordially,
      Charles G. Larkin

      On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:08:11 -0600
      "Ed Garcia" <Ed.Garcia@...> wrote:
      >With all due respect to STAFF FACULTY, do you actually
      >believe all this
      >(your comments of earlier today)? Jesus an astrologer? I
      >fail to see the
      >value of such a fanciful interpretation. Jesus walking
      >around and
      >talking about the age of Aquarius? I don't see it, mainly
      >because it is
      >not there. But people do read into things. which is what
      >I think
      >happened here.
      >
      >"A Greek or Roman, on hearing of "thunders" would have
      >immediately
      >thought of the thunderbolts of Zeus." that may have very
      >well been the
      >case, however his view would have to have been or should
      >have been
      >corrected by the one teaching him. Essentially that Zeus
      >has nothing to
      >do with lightning.
      >
      >I hope I have not come across as harsh or rude but this
      >sort of think
      >simply amazes me.
      >
      >Ed
      >Kansas

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential information. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to whom it is intended even if addressed incorrectly. Please delete it from your files if you are not the intended recipient. Thank you for your compliance.
    • polycarp66@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 10, 2004
        In a message dated 3/10/2004 10:11:31 AM Eastern Standard Time, keith_starkey@... writes:
        gfsomsel:
        What function then do the thunders serve?  Is it in the nature of thunders,
        etc. in a theophany?  The problem is that such thunders are not said to have
        been intelligible.

        Starkman:
        Oh, I think the thunders were intelligible; John understood them well enough
        that he could have written what they uttered.
        That was never in question.  If he had not understood them, he would not have been inclined to write down the message and therefore would not have been commanded to seal them.  The inarticulateness is in regard to OT thunders accompanying theophanies.
        Considering, however, an OT
        context from Ezekiel and Zechariah with regard to the scroll and thunders in
        Revelation, and noting that the thunders are in the context of the sixth
        trumpet--the trumpets being a series of judgements--it is sound to interpret
        the thunders as judgements, of some sort. If the thunders are specific in
        nature, as are the trumpets, in whose framework the thunders are couched,
        then we can expect the thunders to be discernable events as they are
        executed. If, however, they are not specific, but are a time-spanned event
        within the context of judgement, they will not easily be discerned. Either
        way, God had ordered John to be seal their contents, but seal them
        permamently? I can't see the sense in that. Why mention them at all, if
        that's the case. That the thunders are noted both after (or, rather, as part
        of) the revealing of the sixth trumpet and before the seventh may be a clue
        as to their content.
        The question was specifically regarding whether the thunders are indeed sealed permanently as well as the content of the scroll.  You seem to think the thunders can be equated to the trumpets.  On what basis?  Because the one succeeds the other?
        Finally, I wish to note another important clue with regard to the nature of
        the thunderous utterances in Revelation ten (I apologize for the repitition
        in doing so). The proximity of the measuring of Jerusalem and of the visions
        of the menorah in Zechariah chapters two and four closely parallels the
        measuring of the temple and the reference of the two witnesses in Revelation
        chapter eleven. This same structure is seen in the eating of the scroll and
        the noting of the thunderous, rumbling sounds of the Living Beings in
        Ezekiel chapters two and three with the thunders and the eating of the
        scroll in Revelation chapter ten. A clue emerges: Zecharia two and four, and
        Ezekiel two and three are directed to the Jews, and, as noted, are namely
        judgements. This may be very significant as to the why the contents of the
        thunders in Revelation are sealed; if it is the Jews who are the focus of
        the thunderous utternances, it may be that God does not wish for the Jews to
        know about these until it is time. As it was for Ezekiel's ministry to the
        Jews, there is something personal about these judgements that God has deemed
        necessary to not disclose before the appropriate time. Following the
        thunders is the measuring of the temple and the noting of the two witnesses
        in Revelation eleven, a message of hope in the midst of this judgement; yet,
        the two witnesses are kept veiled in enough anonymity to support this
        concept for secrecy.
        The rumbing noises you refer to in Ezekiel are the wings of the Cherubim in the transportation account.  I fail to see that it has any particular relation or parallel to the thunders in this passage.  The thunders seem to be the accompaniment of a theophanic event, but I'm loathe to equate them with the whirling of the wings of the Cherubim.  In Ex 19.16, e.g. "there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mountain" as an accompaniment to the theophany.  In 2 Sam 22.14 we have

        "The LORD thundered from heaven,
        The Most High uttered his voice."

        In Re 4 it likewise mentions lightning flashes and peals of thunder in the throne-room scene. This really seems more equivalent to me -- especially in view of the fact that it speaks of seven thunders here which is parallel to the Seven Spirits as well as the seven eyes and seven horns of the Lamb.

        I don't really wish at this time to get into the question of the witnesses, but will simply state that I take them to be the prophets of the Old and New Testaments.  In keeping with this, I also do not take the measuring of the temple to refer solely to the Jerusalem temple (or it's archetype).  It would seem that this extends to the Church as well.

        gfsomsel
      • Jon Newton
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2004
          My research also involves interacting with Hellenistic thinking. Please tell
          me more about Momigliano (like where can I get hold of it?) and other good
          sources on ancient astrology and Hellenistic thought relevant to Rev. I've
          read Malina's provocative book.

          jon Newton