Re: SV: [revelation-list] Robert K. MacKenzie

  • polycarp66@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
      In a message dated 1/30/2004 4:24:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, georg@... writes:
      A more favorable review on MacKenzie can be found at www.bookreviews.org:
      http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/2162_1234.pdf. It is written by Ronald L.
      Farmer. Whether Farmer actually knows the evidence in favor of John being a
      Semitic-speaking Jew, I cannot tell from a short bookreview.
      ____

      Thanks for that.  When I read Charles' commentary I thought that, although he had many good points to make regarding the allusions and language of the book, he went too far in 'knowing' too much about the author based on what evidence we have.  Furthermore, his hypothesis of a 'John the See' and a redactor whom according to Charles' characterization I'll call 'John the Stupid', who really made a hash of the original.  Charles did opine that 'John the Stupid' wrote better Greek.  I think it is rather Charles who made a hash of the original -- and apparently most others agree that Charles' view went much too far.  Since, however, I tend to respect Charles' ability linguistically, I do see that there are differences in the Greek throughout the book.  I tend to think that this was due to the author's revision of his own work.  This leads me to wonder if what we have might be an example of an author writing in dialect.  This is not to say that our author was ignorant of Hebrew, but rather that he need not have Hebrew as his mother-tongue.  My major professor in graduate school was a true German.  Sometimes, in spite of speaking quite accented but very acceptable English, he would come up with a real howler.  It simply didn't fit with (American) English speech.  I could write something mimicking this so that it would not exhibit my style.  That does not mean that German is my mother-tongue.