Robert K. MacKenzie

  • gfsomsel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
      Georg,

      Quite some time ago (in the old archives) you mentioned MacKenzies'
      view that the author of the Apocalypse was not a native Hebrew-
      speaking writer and immediately dismissed it. Since the volume costs
      in the neighborhood of $100, I have no desire to spend that amount
      for something which can be cavalierly dismissed. Would it be
      possible for you to expand on your view of his book and, perhaps,
      give a precis?

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
        I think I made this remark 6 years ago. I cannot remember any specifics
        right now, and I do not have the book at hand. However, I mentioned Steve
        Moyise's article which has been published since then. He and others have
        argued very convincingly that John also uses the Hebrew OT. MacKenzie argues
        in favour of John being Greek-speaking, but he does not (as far as I
        remember) consider the evidence *against* his thesis. I would suggest that
        you look through the book before you buy it.

        A more favourable review on MacKenzie can be found at www.bookreviews.org:
        http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/2162_1234.pdf. It is written by Ronald L.
        Farmer. Whether Farmer actually knows the evidence in favour of John being a
        Semitic-speaking Jew, I cannot tell from a short bookreview.

        Dr. Georg S. Adamsen

      • polycarp66@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
          In a message dated 1/30/2004 4:24:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, georg@... writes:
          A more favorable review on MacKenzie can be found at www.bookreviews.org:
          http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/2162_1234.pdf. It is written by Ronald L.
          Farmer. Whether Farmer actually knows the evidence in favor of John being a
          Semitic-speaking Jew, I cannot tell from a short bookreview.
          ____

          Thanks for that.  When I read Charles' commentary I thought that, although he had many good points to make regarding the allusions and language of the book, he went too far in 'knowing' too much about the author based on what evidence we have.  Furthermore, his hypothesis of a 'John the See' and a redactor whom according to Charles' characterization I'll call 'John the Stupid', who really made a hash of the original.  Charles did opine that 'John the Stupid' wrote better Greek.  I think it is rather Charles who made a hash of the original -- and apparently most others agree that Charles' view went much too far.  Since, however, I tend to respect Charles' ability linguistically, I do see that there are differences in the Greek throughout the book.  I tend to think that this was due to the author's revision of his own work.  This leads me to wonder if what we have might be an example of an author writing in dialect.  This is not to say that our author was ignorant of Hebrew, but rather that he need not have Hebrew as his mother-tongue.  My major professor in graduate school was a true German.  Sometimes, in spite of speaking quite accented but very acceptable English, he would come up with a real howler.  It simply didn't fit with (American) English speech.  I could write something mimicking this so that it would not exhibit my style.  That does not mean that German is my mother-tongue.