Re: [revelation-list] Themes

  • Don K
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
      Hello, Ed,
      Just a few thoughts, certainly not comprehensive:
      1.) The fulfillment of God's promises to Israel in the establishment of the
      kingdom (10:7 11:15f; 22:6)
      2.) The time for the avenging of the saints ala Song of Moses 32:43--->
      Apoc. 6:9f; 16:6f; 18:20, 24
      3.) The time for the passing of the Scepter from Judah, as seen in the
      demise of "Babylon" the Great City, "where the Lord was slain" (11:8). I
      think it no accident that it is the Lion of the tribe of Judah" that opens
      the seals (5:5), for this is advert to Genesis 49:10, and a signal that the
      time for the Messiah's kingdom (#1 above), had arrived. However, this
      signalled that Judah, like the Norther tribes of old, had now not only
      filled the measure of her sin through persecuting the saints, (#2), but she
      had reached the climax of her ordained history. Her nationalistic time was
      now all but over. The scepter was to pass to "the Lord and His Messiah," as
      the city that once ruled was now doomed to be cast out.
      4.) Concomittant with #s 1 and 2, the consummation of God's scheme of
      Redemption through the eschatological transformation of Old Covenant
      Jerusalem/Israel (the shadow), and the consequent revelation of the Heavenly
      New Jerusalem, the reality.
      5.) #4 is seen in chapter 19 and the time of the wedding, one of Jesus'
      favorite themes. This is the fulfillment of Hosea 1-2 and other OT
      prophecies. In the Last Days, Jehovah would "remarry" Israel. Although he
      had destroyed her nationalistic, external (shadow) form, (Amos 5:1-5; Hosea
      1:5), he would nonetheless remarry her. Not in national socio-political
      restoration, but in relational reunification found in the Messiah by faith.

      Okay, okay, I said just a thought or two! Sorry to go on. I think these are
      important themes however.
      Don K. Preston
      Author: Who Is This Babylon?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
        Major theme - Triumph of God, Redemption
        sub themes Judgement Perservertion

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004

          Author: Who Is This Babylon?

          > What is/are the major theme(s) of Revelation?
          >
          > What are it's major sub-themes?
          >
          > Thank you,
          > Ed

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/