Themes

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
      What is/are the major theme(s) of Revelation?

      What are it's major sub-themes?

      Thank you,
      Ed
    • Don K
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
        Hello, Ed,
        Just a few thoughts, certainly not comprehensive:
        1.) The fulfillment of God's promises to Israel in the establishment of the
        kingdom (10:7 11:15f; 22:6)
        2.) The time for the avenging of the saints ala Song of Moses 32:43--->
        Apoc. 6:9f; 16:6f; 18:20, 24
        3.) The time for the passing of the Scepter from Judah, as seen in the
        demise of "Babylon" the Great City, "where the Lord was slain" (11:8). I
        think it no accident that it is the Lion of the tribe of Judah" that opens
        the seals (5:5), for this is advert to Genesis 49:10, and a signal that the
        time for the Messiah's kingdom (#1 above), had arrived. However, this
        signalled that Judah, like the Norther tribes of old, had now not only
        filled the measure of her sin through persecuting the saints, (#2), but she
        had reached the climax of her ordained history. Her nationalistic time was
        now all but over. The scepter was to pass to "the Lord and His Messiah," as
        the city that once ruled was now doomed to be cast out.
        4.) Concomittant with #s 1 and 2, the consummation of God's scheme of
        Redemption through the eschatological transformation of Old Covenant
        Jerusalem/Israel (the shadow), and the consequent revelation of the Heavenly
        New Jerusalem, the reality.
        5.) #4 is seen in chapter 19 and the time of the wedding, one of Jesus'
        favorite themes. This is the fulfillment of Hosea 1-2 and other OT
        prophecies. In the Last Days, Jehovah would "remarry" Israel. Although he
        had destroyed her nationalistic, external (shadow) form, (Amos 5:1-5; Hosea
        1:5), he would nonetheless remarry her. Not in national socio-political
        restoration, but in relational reunification found in the Messiah by faith.

        Okay, okay, I said just a thought or two! Sorry to go on. I think these are
        important themes however.
        Don K. Preston
        Author: Who Is This Babylon?

        > What is/are the major theme(s) of Revelation?
        >
        > What are it's major sub-themes?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Ed

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • amanda killgore
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004
          Major theme - Triumph of God, Redemption
          sub themes Judgement Perservertion

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2004

            Author: Who Is This Babylon?

            > What is/are the major theme(s) of Revelation?
            >
            > What are it's major sub-themes?
            >
            > Thank you,
            > Ed

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/