Re: [revelation-list] Rev 20:7-10

  • polycarp66@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
      In a message dated 1/28/2004 7:52:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, arialvavaldes@... writes:
      I am working with Rev 20:7-1, the so called "second
      eschatology battle".
      Some scholars say that this verses are recapitulation
      of Rev 19,11-21 (more exactly, of vv.17-21).
      But in this case, it would mean that, at the same
      time, Satan is tied (20,2) and annihilated (20,10).
      What do you think?
      Thank you very much for any commentary
      _________

      I hesitate to call much of anything a recapitulation.  If it is simply a recapitulation, and in such close proximity to that which it recapitulates, why then is it there?  In that case, perhaps we had better engage in a bit of source criticism รก la R.H. Charles.  Yet even Charles did not opt for a source underlying this though we do see him arguing for a rather considerable dislocation in the text.  Rather, I think we have here a contrast between the conquering of the forces opposed to God on the earth (19.11-21) -- the beast(s) and the false prophet with their forces -- and on the other hand the force which underlies these powers on earth, the Dragon (20.7-10).

      gfsomsel
    • kymhsm
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
        Dear Ariel,

        An essay which may be helpful as a background for this
        passage is "The Matter and Meaning of the Mellinium" by
        Geoffrey Bingham from his commentary on the Revelation. The
        whole book, with essays, can be found at:

        http://www.newcreation.org.au/books/covers/261.html

        Click on the book itself then the page number of the essay will
        be found under "Summary of Contents".

        Sincerely,

        Kym Smith

        --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, Ariel Alvarez Valdes