Re: [revelation-list] Resources on Rev 11:1-13 or the two witnesses

  • P. Alain-Marie de Lassus
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
      le 28/01/04 5:30, Ian Brown à irbrown@... a écrit :

      > Hi,
      > I am trying to track down any resources on Rev 11:1-13 or the two
      > witnesses that might not be in a database like the ATLA Religion Index
      > (for articles and essays), Worldcat (library holdings), or DAI (for
      > dissertations and theses). I have in mind here particularly
      > dissertations and theses done outside the US/Canada; for example, I am
      > aware of a thesis that was done at a university in Paris that deals with
      > the idea of "witness" in Revelation--it is not on any of the databases
      > noted above, but I happened upon it in the Adventist Heritage Center at
      > Andrews University.
      >
      > Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
      > Ian R. Brown
      > Ph.D. Candidate
      > Andrews University

      Hi Ian,

      You might be interested in having a look at the following books:

      - Isabelle DONEGANI, "A cause de la Parole de Dieu et du témoignage de
      Jésus", Gabalda, Paris.
      Doctoral dissertation presented at the University of Fribourg (Switzerland).

      - Paolo BYONG-SEOB MIN, "I due testimoni di Apocalisse 11, 1-13: Storia -
      Interpretazione - Teologia", Pontificia Universitas Gregoriana, Rome, 1991.
      Doctoral dissertation presented at the Gregorian University in Rome.

      Regards.

      Alain M. de Lassus
    • Ariel Alvarez Valdes
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
        I am working with Rev 20:7-1, the so called "second
        eschatology battle".
        Some scholars say that this verses are recapitulation
        of Rev 19,11-21 (more exactly, of vv.17-21).
        But in this case, it would mean that, at the same
        time, Satan is tied (20,2) and annihilated (20,10).
        What do you think?
        Thank you very much for any commentary

        Ariel Alvarez Valdes
      • polycarp66@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
          In a message dated 1/28/2004 7:52:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, arialvavaldes@... writes:
          I am working with Rev 20:7-1, the so called "second
          eschatology battle".
          Some scholars say that this verses are recapitulation
          of Rev 19,11-21 (more exactly, of vv.17-21).
          But in this case, it would mean that, at the same
          time, Satan is tied (20,2) and annihilated (20,10).
          What do you think?
          Thank you very much for any commentary
          _________

          I hesitate to call much of anything a recapitulation.  If it is simply a recapitulation, and in such close proximity to that which it recapitulates, why then is it there?  In that case, perhaps we had better engage in a bit of source criticism á la R.H. Charles.  Yet even Charles did not opt for a source underlying this though we do see him arguing for a rather considerable dislocation in the text.  Rather, I think we have here a contrast between the conquering of the forces opposed to God on the earth (19.11-21) -- the beast(s) and the false prophet with their forces -- and on the other hand the force which underlies these powers on earth, the Dragon (20.7-10).

          gfsomsel
        • kymhsm
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
            Dear Ariel,

            An essay which may be helpful as a background for this
            passage is "The Matter and Meaning of the Mellinium" by
            Geoffrey Bingham from his commentary on the Revelation. The
            whole book, with essays, can be found at:

            http://www.newcreation.org.au/books/covers/261.html

            Click on the book itself then the page number of the essay will
            be found under "Summary of Contents".

            Sincerely,

            Kym Smith

            --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, Ariel Alvarez Valdes