Re: [revelation-list] rev. 11:1-2

    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
      On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 09:36 PM, Duane Carbo wrote:

      > DSW means "Daniel's Seventieth Week". "Measure the Temple" would
      > imply at
      > the very least that there is
      > a Temple standing during the tribulation (DSW) that is actual and not
      > just
      > symbolic.

      Why?

      Why should a command like this imply that the temple is literal? What
      would the command look like if it was 'symbolic', that is,
      metaphorical? When Jesus said 'A man went out to sow' does this imply
      there was a literal man? Were there, or will there be, four literal
      horses with four literal riders?

      I wonder if I could make a plea, on this list at least, for reflective
      engagement with the nature of metaphorical language...

      Ian Paul
      ___________________________
      Revd Dr Ian Paul Associate Vicar, St Mary's Longfleet
      32 Penn Hill Avenue Poole Dorset BH14 9LZ
      01202 745963 Fax 01202 385539
      Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
      9HU
      01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
      http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
    • Christian Maymann
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
        Hi!

        I find, that there are some difficulties, with identifying the worshippers
        as “Jews priests”:

        i) The distinction between “Jewish” believers and “non-Jewish (gentile)”
        believers is a question, that is uninteresting in relation to understand the
        book of revelation, and – of cause – chapter 11.

        ii) Then one reads the letters in the first part of the book, ones gets
        the impression that the only true Jewish people, that exists, is the
        Christians who worship Jesus – the Jewish messiah (That is the point of the
        letter in 3:7-13)

        iii) The two persons in the chapter is called “witness”, and that is the
        category, that the book use for Christians in other part of the book (e.g
        2:13)- so chapter 11 must relate to the church of christ, not particulary some
        jewish worshippers

        So the worshipper must be Christian worshippers – if they are jewish or not is
        an un-interesting

        Christian

        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
          I agree with you Ian, some sections of Revelation could not/should not
          be taken literally. I do not believe that this section in Rev. speaks of
          a literal rebuilding of the temple. There is no real reason to claim
          that it does.

          But Ian, if you have the time, how do you understand the measuring of
          the temple? If you have commented on this passage previously, then
          please excuse my oversight. Thank you.

          Ed G.

          On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 09:36 PM, Duane Carbo wrote:

          > DSW means "Daniel's Seventieth Week". "Measure the Temple" would
          > imply at
          > the very least that there is
          > a Temple standing during the tribulation (DSW) that is actual and not
          > just
          > symbolic.

          Why?

          Why should a command like this imply that the temple is literal? What
          would the command look like if it was 'symbolic', that is,
          metaphorical? When Jesus said 'A man went out to sow' does this imply
          there was a literal man? Were there, or will there be, four literal
          horses with four literal riders?

          I wonder if I could make a plea, on this list at least, for reflective
          engagement with the nature of metaphorical language...

          Ian Paul
          ___________________________
          Revd Dr Ian Paul Associate Vicar, St Mary's Longfleet
          32 Penn Hill Avenue Poole Dorset BH14 9LZ
          01202 745963 Fax 01202 385539
          Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
          9HU
          01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
          http://www.grovebooks.co.uk

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • polycarp66@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
            In a message dated 1/28/2004 10:13:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, Ed.Garcia@... writes:
            I agree with you Ian, some sections of Revelation could not/should not
            be taken literally. I do not believe that this section in Rev. speaks of
            a literal rebuilding of the temple. There is no real reason to claim
            that it does.

            But Ian, if you have the time, how do you understand the measuring of
            the temple? If you have commented on this passage previously, then
            please excuse my oversight. Thank you.
            _______

            I'm not Ian, but will venture to speak regarding this.

            The measuring of the temple here as in Ezekiel 40 f. sets forth the idea of the construction of the temple.  It is, in itself, a kind of prophecy regarding its construction.  Prophecy should not, however, be understood simply in terms of fore-telling an event but rather as setting forth the event sub specie aeternitatis.  This is in this case particularly true.  Beginning with chapter 4 we have to do with the heavenly journey and what 'John' saw there.  The denouement of this is the opening of the seven-sealed book -- the Divine Book of Destiny.  Within this the opening of the seventh seal is particularly emphasized -- if nothing else due to the space allotted to recounting it.  The first six seals are but a prelude which is cursorily passed over -- the four horsemen detailing the misfortunes that ever beset humanity, the persecution of the righteous, and the cry for justice from the Divine Judge of all.  With the seventh seal we see the beginning of the Heilsgeschichte set forth.  The people of God are marked with a mark of ownership, judgment which was cried out for in the fifth seal is rained down upon the persecuting world, and the forces of the Abyss itself are released upon it.  The interlude of the "mighty angel" with the small scroll (opened, no less) is somewhat enigmatic, but it seems to set forth what follows since it is said, "There will be no further delay."  What follows is the measuring of the temple which we are considering.  This is the establishment of the worship of the people of God on earth who were sealed and thus marked as the property of God before this all began.  And the elders respond "You have begun to reign."  This must first of all be seen as the establishment of the people of Israel with the cultus thereof for immediately we are presented with the figure of the woman "clothed with the sun, with the moon uner her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars."  This cannot fail to recall Joseph's dream to anyone who is familiar with the story.  In this dream the sun and moon and ELEVEN stars bow down to him.  The difference in eleven and twelve is due to the fact that in our passage Joseph is included so that it is a picture of all Israel.  And what happens with this woman?  She gives birth to a child who is snached up to heaven.  Does anyone doubt that this is a picture of Christ?  I could continue, but will leave off for now since my point was simply to set forth that the section regarding the measuring of the temple is one stage in the setting forth of the Heilsgeschichte.

            gfsomsel
          • Chris Larimer
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
              I also think that there is at least some merit to the thesis that the new Temple and the New Jerusalem portray a reclamation of these forms.  Certainly in the Ezekiel text there is a sincere desire that the glory of Solomon's temple be reinstituted.  Depending on your dating for the Apocalypse, you can see the desire for a new temple that recaptures the glory of the former (whether Herod's or, more likely, Solomon's) or (in my view) a reclamation of the Temple as a true house of worship to YHWH.  The city, likewise, is presented in a numerically perfect form and is described in aureate tones.  This shows that, like the temple - purged of fornication with the Beast (a corrupt Sadducean priesthood?) - the city is purged of her influences from Roman dominance.  Purified, there are only "dogs without".

              Chris Larimer
              Research Assistant
              Presbyterian Church (USA)
              Office of Theology, Worship, & Discipleship
              Congregational Ministries Division
              100 Witherspoon Street
              Louisville, KY 40202-1396

              Phone #: (502) 569-5343
                  Fax #: (502) 569-8060

            • irbrown@andrews.edu
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                Having begun my major graduate research with looking at Rev 11:1-13 as a
                whole and not specifically the two witnesses, I have some familiarity with
                debates over elements of Rev 11:1-2. Most of the work that I did do with
                these two verses centered on interpreting the temple language. The main
                interpretations could be summarized as follows:

                Primarily literal:
                1) Temple language as relating to ancient earthly Jerusalem temple.
                2) ... as relating to future, rebuilt earthly Jerusalem temple.
                Primarily symbolic:
                1) ... as representing the church in some sense.
                2) ... as representing the Jewish people in some sense.
                3) ... as representing the center of the Jewish religion in some sense.
                Literal? Symbolic?
                Temple language as relating to the heavenly temple that is portrayed
                elsewhere in Revelation.

                I wrote a rough paper critiquing the typical arguments used to support
                those views labelled "Primarily symbolic." My conclusions about those
                arguments were not very positive. I can send a cleaned up copy of the
                concluding section of that paper upon request.

                Personally, I favor the last alternative above. In part I do so because
                of its serious consideration of how the author "John" speaks and uses
                language *throughout* the book. At least two authors who speak to this
                are Bachmann (?) and Giblin.

                Perhaps a need in many of the discussions of Rev 11:1-2 is the need to
                integrate that segment in with the content of chapter 10. The end of
                chapter 10 focuses in on the participation of John within the visionary
                experience; chapter 11:1 at least continues that focus. After that John
                becomes less "explicit" within the visionary experience and his main role
                as narrator/explainer resumes its dominance.

                Ian R. Brown
                Ph.D. Candidate
                Andrews University
              • polycarp66@aol.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                  In a message dated 1/28/2004 2:41:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, chris.larimer@... writes:
                  I also think that there is at least some merit to the thesis that the new Temple and the New Jerusalem portray a reclamation of these forms.  Certainly in the Ezekiel text there is a sincere desire that the glory of Solomon's temple be reinstituted.  Depending on your dating for the Apocalypse, you can see the desire for a new temple that recaptures the glory of the former (whether Herod's or, more likely, Solomon's) or (in my view) a reclamation of the Temple as a true house of worship to YHWH.  The city, likewise, is presented in a numerically perfect form and is described in aureate tones.  This shows that, like the temple - purged of fornication with the Beast (a corrupt Sadducean priesthood?) - the city is purged of her influences from Roman dominance.  Purified, there are only "dogs without".
                  _________

                  Since you are replying to what I had written, I must assume that you are understanding what I said to refer to a "reclamation of these forms."  I am well aware that there are those who maintain that there will be a rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.  This is most emphatically not my position.  Rather, I take the 144,000 to refer to literal members of the nation of Israel / Judea, the measuring of the temple to refer to the historical temple once built in Jerusalem, and the woman with the sun, moon and stars to refer to the literal Israel from whom Christ was born.  This is all historical material -- a part of the Heilsgeschicte.

                  I hear in my mind's ear someone asking, "What about the summons in chapter 4 which states that 'John' would be shown what was "about to happen."  This is a fair question.  This did seem somewhat troublesome when I began to consider the references as applying to things which had already occurred.  If this were the total of what is contained in this "Book of Destiny", it would be a most valid criticism.  I do hold, however, that there are matters in this "Seventh Seal" which are yet coming in the view of our author.  It is this to which the "about to happen" refers.  This involves the ongoing life of the New Jerusalem which is ever "coming down from God out of heaven" and never resides on earth.  This New Jerusalem is envisaged as covering the Roman Empire in its entirety (calculate the dimensions).  Most specifically this refers to the preaching of the word  and the administration of the sacraments.  The Church as the Bride says "Let everyone who is thirsty come to the water" and the congregation as "those who hear" in their turn say "Come."  This is that which is about to happen.

                  gfsomsel
                • Ron Snider
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                    I would like a copy of the paper on Rev. 11:1-2.

                    thanks in advance,

                    ron snider
                  • Chris Larimer
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                      Thanks for your reply.

                      First, I am preterist and post-millennial in my leanings.  Therefore, I am not given to interpretations that focus on an earthly rebuilding of the Temple and a reinstitution of the Mosaic law/sacrificial system (which has been fulfilled in God's Christ).

                      Secondly, I do not follow the three-fold division of the Revelation into the things "which you have seen, the things which are, and the things which are to come."  The Apocalypse is simply too non-lineal to support that view (otherwise, you would have at least five falls of Babylon between chapters 11-22).  Instead, I side with David Aune and Elizabeth Schussler Fiorenza in viewing the progressive action of the Apocalypse in successively more powerful symbolic systems.  My own division of the book as a whole is thus:

                      Prologue and Epistolary Introduction (1:1-3:22)
                      Heavenly Throneroom Vision (4:1-11:18)
                      Cosmic War Vision (11:19-22:5)
                      Epilogue and Epistolary Ending (22:6-21)

                      I see a definite spiraling of events (not parallelisms because the content "touches" too much) that is also chiastically structured.  The chiastic structure is also intentionally a reversal of the prehistoric claims held in the first 11 chapters of Genesis.  Notice that there is a movement away from cities in the Abrahamic cycle and a definite distrust of city life and established religious systems before the time of slavery in Egypt.  That pattern is what I am claiming is reversed (or, in my language, reclaimed for God's holy ones as a righteous way of life).  That's why I posit that the Heavenly City (which is the size of the Roman empire) and the Heavenly Temple (which is the size of Jerusalem, c. 70 AD) are figurative ways of saying that God's reign is extended into secular life (symbolized as the city) and religious life (temple).

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                        On Wednesday, January 28, 2004, at 08:22 PM, polycarp66@... wrote:

                        > Since you are replying to what I had written, I must assume that you
                        > are understanding what I said to refer to a "reclamation of these
                        > forms."  I am well aware that there are those who maintain that there
                        > will be a rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.  This is most
                        > emphatically not my position.  Rather, I take the 144,000 to refer to
                        > literal members of the nation of Israel / Judea, the measuring of
                        > the temple to refer to the historical temple once built in Jerusalem,
                        > and the woman with the sun, moon and stars to refer to the literal
                        > Israel from whom Christ was born.  This is all historical material --
                        > a part of the Heilsgeschicte.

                        But if you take the 144,000 as a literal number, why do you not take
                        the woman as being literally clothed with the sun?

                        Ian Paul
                        ___________________________
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                          In a message dated 1/28/2004 8:08:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, chris.larimer@... writes:

[...]

                          __________

                          We divide it a bit differently.  My overall structure of the book is

                          1. Superscription             1.1-3
                          2. Letter Proper             1.4-22.20
                                2.1 Salutation             1.4-8
                                2.2 Prophetic Call Report 1.9-3.22
                                2.3 Heavenly Journey Report 4.1-22.20
                                2.4 Closing Salutation      22.21

                          I consider the entire book to be in the form of a letter with a superscription which would be on the outside much as we would have a title on the spine of a book today.  The remainder is the letter proper. Note that the Letters to the Seven Churches are subsumed within the Prophetic Call Report which has a General and a Specific section which is not detailed here.  The Letters to the Seven Churches themselves are under the specific section.  Within the Heavenly Journey Report there is the Throne Room scene and the Report of the Opening of the Book of Destiny.  Under the opening category are the opening of each of the seven seals with an interlude for the sealing of God's people consisting of the 144,000 Israelites and the innumerable multitude of the Church.  In my view the Seventh Seal continues until 22.20 as a setting forth of the Heilsgeschichte.

                          I too would probably most appropriately fit in the category of preterism though my views are much different from those of Grudem, e.g.  I do not hold to an early date for the writing of the Apocalypse.  As a matter of fact, I place it much later than is generally done.  I would say most certainly 135 AD.  (I'm sure someone will ask about this!)

                          gfsomsel
                        • polycarp66@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                            In a message dated 1/28/2004 11:02:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, editor@... writes:
                            On Wednesday, January 28, 2004, at 08:22 PM, polycarp66@... wrote:

                            > Since you are replying to what I had written, I must assume that you
                            > are understanding what I said to refer to a "reclamation of these
                            > forms."  I am well aware that there are those who maintain that there
                            > will be a rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.  This is most
                            > emphatically not my position.  Rather, I take the 144,000 to refer to
                            > literal members of the nation of Israel / Judea, the measuring of
                            > the temple to refer to the historical temple once built in Jerusalem,
                            > and the woman with the sun, moon and stars to refer to the literal
                            > Israel from whom Christ was born.  This is all historical material --
                            > a part of the Heilsgeschicte.

                            But if you take the 144,000 as a literal number, why do you not take
                            the woman as being literally clothed with the sun?
                            _________________________

                            I never said that I took it as a literal number.  My understanding of the 144,000 is that it is a symbolic (??) number.  Its purpose is simply to indicate that there is a definite number from the tribes of Israel who are included in the people of God.  The reason for the definiteness of the number as opposed to the "great multitude which no man could number" which is used regarding the Church is that this number HAD ALREADY BEEN COMPLETED whereas the Church was still a work in progress.  I take very little in the Apocalypse as being literally true.  No "Great Whore" rides on the back of a beast.  There is no literal beast from the sea or beast from the land.  Christ does not go forth riding on a horse to execute judgment.  These are all symbolic representations.  They stand for something else which is usually explained in some fashion or is evident if one has a knowledge of the author's sources, viz. the OT and NT and to some degree the apocalyptic literature.

                            gfsomsel
                          • Marko Jauhiainen
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 29, 2004
                              Ed Garcia said the following on 28.01 2004 17:05:

                              > But Ian, if you have the time, how do you understand the measuring of
                              > the temple? If you have commented on this passage previously, then
                              > please excuse my oversight. Thank you.

                              I am not Ian, either, but I would like to point you to an article on the
                              measuring of the temple:

                              http://www.bsw.org/?l=71831&a=Comm16.html

                              Shalom,
                              Marko