Resources on Rev 11:1-13 or the two witnesses

  • Ian Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
      Hi,
      I am trying to track down any resources on Rev 11:1-13 or the two
      witnesses that might not be in a database like the ATLA Religion Index
      (for articles and essays), Worldcat (library holdings), or DAI (for
      dissertations and theses). I have in mind here particularly
      dissertations and theses done outside the US/Canada; for example, I am
      aware of a thesis that was done at a university in Paris that deals with
      the idea of "witness" in Revelation--it is not on any of the databases
      noted above, but I happened upon it in the Adventist Heritage Center at
      Andrews University.

      Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
      Ian R. Brown
      Ph.D. Candidate
      Andrews University
    • Juan Stam
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
        If you read Spanish, I can send you a long article on the subject

        Juan Stam, Costa Rica

        > I am trying to track down any resources on Rev 11:1-13 or the two
        > witnesses that might not be in a database like the ATLA Religion Index
        > (for articles and essays), Worldcat (library holdings), or DAI (for
        > dissertations and theses). I have in mind here particularly
        > dissertations and theses done outside the US/Canada; for example, I am
        > aware of a thesis that was done at a university in Paris that deals with
        > the idea of "witness" in Revelation--it is not on any of the databases
        > noted above, but I happened upon it in the Adventist Heritage Center at
        > Andrews University.
        >
        > Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
        > Ian R. Brown
        > Ph.D. Candidate
        > Andrews University

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • P. Alain-Marie de Lassus
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
          le 28/01/04 5:30, Ian Brown à irbrown@... a écrit :

          > Hi,
          > I am trying to track down any resources on Rev 11:1-13 or the two
          > witnesses that might not be in a database like the ATLA Religion Index
          > (for articles and essays), Worldcat (library holdings), or DAI (for
          > dissertations and theses). I have in mind here particularly
          > dissertations and theses done outside the US/Canada; for example, I am
          > aware of a thesis that was done at a university in Paris that deals with
          > the idea of "witness" in Revelation--it is not on any of the databases
          > noted above, but I happened upon it in the Adventist Heritage Center at
          > Andrews University.
          >
          > Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
          > Ian R. Brown
          > Ph.D. Candidate
          > Andrews University

          Hi Ian,

          You might be interested in having a look at the following books:

          - Isabelle DONEGANI, "A cause de la Parole de Dieu et du témoignage de
          Jésus", Gabalda, Paris.
          Doctoral dissertation presented at the University of Fribourg (Switzerland).

          - Paolo BYONG-SEOB MIN, "I due testimoni di Apocalisse 11, 1-13: Storia -
          Interpretazione - Teologia", Pontificia Universitas Gregoriana, Rome, 1991.
          Doctoral dissertation presented at the Gregorian University in Rome.

          Regards.

          Alain M. de Lassus
        • Ariel Alvarez Valdes
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
            I am working with Rev 20:7-1, the so called "second
            eschatology battle".
            Some scholars say that this verses are recapitulation
            of Rev 19,11-21 (more exactly, of vv.17-21).
            But in this case, it would mean that, at the same
            time, Satan is tied (20,2) and annihilated (20,10).
            What do you think?
            Thank you very much for any commentary

            Ariel Alvarez Valdes
          • polycarp66@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
              In a message dated 1/28/2004 7:52:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, arialvavaldes@... writes:
              I am working with Rev 20:7-1, the so called "second
              eschatology battle".
              Some scholars say that this verses are recapitulation
              of Rev 19,11-21 (more exactly, of vv.17-21).
              But in this case, it would mean that, at the same
              time, Satan is tied (20,2) and annihilated (20,10).
              What do you think?
              Thank you very much for any commentary
              _________

              I hesitate to call much of anything a recapitulation.  If it is simply a recapitulation, and in such close proximity to that which it recapitulates, why then is it there?  In that case, perhaps we had better engage in a bit of source criticism á la R.H. Charles.  Yet even Charles did not opt for a source underlying this though we do see him arguing for a rather considerable dislocation in the text.  Rather, I think we have here a contrast between the conquering of the forces opposed to God on the earth (19.11-21) -- the beast(s) and the false prophet with their forces -- and on the other hand the force which underlies these powers on earth, the Dragon (20.7-10).

              gfsomsel
            • kymhsm
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
                Dear Ariel,

                An essay which may be helpful as a background for this
                passage is "The Matter and Meaning of the Mellinium" by
                Geoffrey Bingham from his commentary on the Revelation. The
                whole book, with essays, can be found at:

                http://www.newcreation.org.au/books/covers/261.html

                Click on the book itself then the page number of the essay will
                be found under "Summary of Contents".

                Sincerely,

                Kym Smith

                --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, Ariel Alvarez Valdes