Re: [revelation-list] rev. 11:1-2

  • Ron Snider
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 27, 2004
      Daniel's 70th Week.

      Ron Snider
    • Duane Carbo
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 27, 2004
        DSW means "Daniel's Seventieth Week". "Measure the Temple" would imply at
        the very least that there is
        a Temple standing during the tribulation (DSW) that is actual and not just
        symbolic. That John was told to
        "Rise and measure" implies that he saw then what is prophetically
        predetermined...the rebuilt temple and its
        worshipers.

        Duane Carbo
        Miami Florida

        At 02:47 PM 1/27/2004 -0600, you wrote:
        >What is DSW? Thanks.
        >
        >Ed
        >Kansas

      • Timothy P. Jenney
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 27, 2004
          The book of Ezekiel contains an extensive description of a future temple,
          complete with exact measurements of its dimensions (Ezek. 40:1ff). John¹s
          original audience probably expected something similar here. John even
          receives a measuring rod (11:1), but he never uses it. In fact, the only
          measurements in the book are those of the New Jerusalem (Rev. 21:16, 17).
          They fall near the end of this book and they are measured with a different
          rod (Rev. 21: 15 cf. 11:1).

          John¹s vision does not duplicate Ezekiel¹s, but compliments it. Ezekiel
          prophesied about buildings, John prophesies about the worshippers which will
          use them (11:1 cf. chs. 7, 21, 22).

          The angel directs John¹s focus to the outer court that will be given to the
          Gentiles for ³42 months² (see 1,260 days, 42 months or 3 1/2 years, 12:6).
          There he sees two menorah [seven-pronged lampstands] (Exod. 25:31-36 cf.
          Zech. 4:1-14). On most occasions, it would be highly unusual to find
          lampstands in the outer court. The descriptions of the tabernacle and temple
          all place a single menorah in the Holy Place (Ex. 26:35; Num. 8:2-4; 2 Chr.
          4:20; Heb. 9:2), not two outside the building and in the outer court. The
          only time menorah appeared in the outer court was during the Feast of
          Tabernacles. Revelation links these menorahs to the feast by their fire
          [here, the power to destroy] (v. 5), their ability to withhold rain and
          their power to send plagues upon the earth (v. 6 cf. also Rev. 15:1;
          16:1-21). These are all found in Zechariah fourteen (vv. 12-19), which
          describes an eschatological celebration of Tabernacles, and was one of the
          traditional readings for the Feast of Tabernacles in the first century AD.

          (See my commentary on Revelation Pp. 1535-1629 in Life in the Spirit New
          Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2003) [Shameless
          self-promotion :-)]

          Timothy P. Jenney
          Winter Haven, FL

          > From: "ronsnider1" <ronpt@...>
          > Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:43:06 -0000
          > To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [revelation-list] rev. 11:1-2
          >
          > I am currently studying this book verse by verse from the original
          > languages... I view the temple as the one
          > that will be rebuilt for Daniel's 70th Week, the worshippers must be Jewish
          > priests, and the time of Gentile
          > domination will be the last half of DSW. Why the measurements, why omit the
          > court of the Gentiles, etc?
          >
          > Any insight will be appreciated.
          >
          > Ron Snider

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Mail Cox
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 27, 2004
            Dear Ron,

            The outer court is not included in the measurements because the text, along
            with Luke 21:24, states Jerusalem will be under the control of Gentiles,
            especially during the final 42 months ... the 1260-day period when the Two
            Anointed Prophets "stand before the God of earth
            (Zech.4:11; Rev.11:4) ... until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
            Mel

            > I am currently studying this book verse by verse from the original
            languages... I view the temple as the one
            > that will be rebuilt for Daniel's 70th Week, the worshippers must be
            Jewish priests, and the time of Gentile
            > domination will be the last half of DSW. Why the measurements, why omit
            the court of the Gentiles, etc?

            > Any insight will be appreciated.
            >
            > Ron Snider

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • gfsomsel
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 27, 2004
              I wouldn't agree that measuring the temple of God (11:1) was to
              designate which part was for preservation." The first time we
              encounter the concept of measuring the temple is in Ezek 40 ff.
              There it was most definitely NOT for preservation since the
              destruction had already been accomplished. There the concept is
              rather that of the re-establishment of the cultus. Similarly we
              encounter a related concept in Exodus 25 when the construction of the
              tabernacle was being enjoined. There it was to be
              constructed "according to all that I show you concerning the pattern
              [TABNIYT]of the tabernacle." What is here envisioned then is the
              construction of the earthly temple on the basis of the heavenly
              prototype.

              George F. Somsel

              --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, "RalphBass" <ralphbass@d...>
              wrote:

              > The purpose in measuring the temple of God (11:1) was to designate
              which
              > part was for preservation. ".to measure expresses the thought of
              > preservation, not of destruction." Although the temple proper was
              rather
              > small, the temple complex was quite large. It was the temple only,
              > consisting of the holy place and the Holy of Holies, which is being
              > symbolically measured for protection. And not only is the temple
              being
              > measured but those that worship their are as well. As Carrington
              says, ".it
              > can only represent the body of true believers who form the
              spiritual temple
              > in which God dwells. . while the Outer Court will be the non-
              christian Jews
              > who are 'given' into the power of the gentiles."
              >
              > This symbolic measuring is to determine who "measures up" by God's
              standard.
              > In fact, the entire temple was destroyed, not just the court of the
              > gentiles. However, God's people were not destroyed, they were
              delivered. The
              > rest who did not "measure up" were destroyed. This measuring of the
              Temple
              > "has to do with the building up of the spiritual temple of the true
              > believers-that is to say, of the primitive Jerusalem church.. This
              inner
              > circle within the old Israel is regarded by St. John as the true
              Israel
              > recognized by God. The Outer Court, which is given over to the
              gentiles,
              > symbolizes the other Jews who rejected Christ and are not being
              built into
              > his spiritual temple." "The Naos [inner Temple], then, means the
              community
              > of men in whom God dwells.."
              >
              > Compare this section, which follows the sixth trumpet with chapter
              7:1-8,
              > which follows the sixth seal. In chapter 7 we see the 144,000
              marked for
              > protection, here we see the true worshipers of God measured for
              protection
              > by God. Both tell the same story in a cyclic fashion, one marking,
              and the
              > other measuring.
              >
              > >From my coming book "Back To the Future - A Commentary on the Book
              of
              > Revelation"
              > Ralph E. Bass, Jr.
            • Ron Snider
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 27, 2004
                Actually, it is an abbreviation for Daniel's 70th Week.

                Ron Snider
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                  On Tuesday, January 27, 2004, at 09:36 PM, Duane Carbo wrote:

                  > DSW means "Daniel's Seventieth Week". "Measure the Temple" would
                  > imply at
                  > the very least that there is
                  > a Temple standing during the tribulation (DSW) that is actual and not
                  > just
                  > symbolic.

                  Why?

                  Why should a command like this imply that the temple is literal? What
                  would the command look like if it was 'symbolic', that is,
                  metaphorical? When Jesus said 'A man went out to sow' does this imply
                  there was a literal man? Were there, or will there be, four literal
                  horses with four literal riders?

                  I wonder if I could make a plea, on this list at least, for reflective
                  engagement with the nature of metaphorical language...

                  Ian Paul
                  ___________________________
                  Revd Dr Ian Paul Associate Vicar, St Mary's Longfleet
                  32 Penn Hill Avenue Poole Dorset BH14 9LZ
                  01202 745963 Fax 01202 385539
                  Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge CB3
                  9HU
                  01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
                  http://www.grovebooks.co.uk
                • Christian Maymann
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                    Hi!

                    I find, that there are some difficulties, with identifying the worshippers
                    as “Jews priests”:

                    i) The distinction between “Jewish” believers and “non-Jewish (gentile)”
                    believers is a question, that is uninteresting in relation to understand the
                    book of revelation, and – of cause – chapter 11.

                    ii) Then one reads the letters in the first part of the book, ones gets
                    the impression that the only true Jewish people, that exists, is the
                    Christians who worship Jesus – the Jewish messiah (That is the point of the
                    letter in 3:7-13)

                    iii) The two persons in the chapter is called “witness”, and that is the
                    category, that the book use for Christians in other part of the book (e.g
                    2:13)- so chapter 11 must relate to the church of christ, not particulary some
                    jewish worshippers

                    So the worshipper must be Christian worshippers – if they are jewish or not is
                    an un-interesting

                    Christian

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                      I agree with you Ian, some sections of Revelation could not/should not
                      be taken literally. I do not believe that this section in Rev. speaks of
                      a literal rebuilding of the temple. There is no real reason to claim
                      that it does.

                      But Ian, if you have the time, how do you understand the measuring of
                      the temple? If you have commented on this passage previously, then
                      please excuse my oversight. Thank you.

                      Ed G.

                    • polycarp66@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                        In a message dated 1/28/2004 10:13:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, Ed.Garcia@... writes:
                        I agree with you Ian, some sections of Revelation could not/should not
                        be taken literally. I do not believe that this section in Rev. speaks of
                        a literal rebuilding of the temple. There is no real reason to claim
                        that it does.

                        But Ian, if you have the time, how do you understand the measuring of
                        the temple? If you have commented on this passage previously, then
                        please excuse my oversight. Thank you.
                        _______

                        I'm not Ian, but will venture to speak regarding this.

                        The measuring of the temple here as in Ezekiel 40 f. sets forth the idea of the construction of the temple.  It is, in itself, a kind of prophecy regarding its construction.  Prophecy should not, however, be understood simply in terms of fore-telling an event but rather as setting forth the event sub specie aeternitatis.  This is in this case particularly true.  Beginning with chapter 4 we have to do with the heavenly journey and what 'John' saw there.  The denouement of this is the opening of the seven-sealed book -- the Divine Book of Destiny.  Within this the opening of the seventh seal is particularly emphasized -- if nothing else due to the space allotted to recounting it.  The first six seals are but a prelude which is cursorily passed over -- the four horsemen detailing the misfortunes that ever beset humanity, the persecution of the righteous, and the cry for justice from the Divine Judge of all.  With the seventh seal we see the beginning of the Heilsgeschichte set forth.  The people of God are marked with a mark of ownership, judgment which was cried out for in the fifth seal is rained down upon the persecuting world, and the forces of the Abyss itself are released upon it.  The interlude of the "mighty angel" with the small scroll (opened, no less) is somewhat enigmatic, but it seems to set forth what follows since it is said, "There will be no further delay."  What follows is the measuring of the temple which we are considering.  This is the establishment of the worship of the people of God on earth who were sealed and thus marked as the property of God before this all began.  And the elders respond "You have begun to reign."  This must first of all be seen as the establishment of the people of Israel with the cultus thereof for immediately we are presented with the figure of the woman "clothed with the sun, with the moon uner her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars."  This cannot fail to recall Joseph's dream to anyone who is familiar with the story.  In this dream the sun and moon and ELEVEN stars bow down to him.  The difference in eleven and twelve is due to the fact that in our passage Joseph is included so that it is a picture of all Israel.  And what happens with this woman?  She gives birth to a child who is snached up to heaven.  Does anyone doubt that this is a picture of Christ?  I could continue, but will leave off for now since my point was simply to set forth that the section regarding the measuring of the temple is one stage in the setting forth of the Heilsgeschichte.

                        gfsomsel
                      • Chris Larimer
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                          I also think that there is at least some merit to the thesis that the new Temple and the New Jerusalem portray a reclamation of these forms.  Certainly in the Ezekiel text there is a sincere desire that the glory of Solomon's temple be reinstituted.  Depending on your dating for the Apocalypse, you can see the desire for a new temple that recaptures the glory of the former (whether Herod's or, more likely, Solomon's) or (in my view) a reclamation of the Temple as a true house of worship to YHWH.  The city, likewise, is presented in a numerically perfect form and is described in aureate tones.  This shows that, like the temple - purged of fornication with the Beast (a corrupt Sadducean priesthood?) - the city is purged of her influences from Roman dominance.  Purified, there are only "dogs without".

                          Chris Larimer
                          Research Assistant
                          Presbyterian Church (USA)
                          Office of Theology, Worship, & Discipleship
                          Congregational Ministries Division
                          100 Witherspoon Street
                          Louisville, KY 40202-1396

                          Phone #: (502) 569-5343
                              Fax #: (502) 569-8060

                        • irbrown@andrews.edu
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                            Having begun my major graduate research with looking at Rev 11:1-13 as a
                            whole and not specifically the two witnesses, I have some familiarity with
                            debates over elements of Rev 11:1-2. Most of the work that I did do with
                            these two verses centered on interpreting the temple language. The main
                            interpretations could be summarized as follows:

                            Primarily literal:
                            1) Temple language as relating to ancient earthly Jerusalem temple.
                            2) ... as relating to future, rebuilt earthly Jerusalem temple.
                            Primarily symbolic:
                            1) ... as representing the church in some sense.
                            2) ... as representing the Jewish people in some sense.
                            3) ... as representing the center of the Jewish religion in some sense.
                            Literal? Symbolic?
                            Temple language as relating to the heavenly temple that is portrayed
                            elsewhere in Revelation.

                            I wrote a rough paper critiquing the typical arguments used to support
                            those views labelled "Primarily symbolic." My conclusions about those
                            arguments were not very positive. I can send a cleaned up copy of the
                            concluding section of that paper upon request.

                            Personally, I favor the last alternative above. In part I do so because
                            of its serious consideration of how the author "John" speaks and uses
                            language *throughout* the book. At least two authors who speak to this
                            are Bachmann (?) and Giblin.

                            Perhaps a need in many of the discussions of Rev 11:1-2 is the need to
                            integrate that segment in with the content of chapter 10. The end of
                            chapter 10 focuses in on the participation of John within the visionary
                            experience; chapter 11:1 at least continues that focus. After that John
                            becomes less "explicit" within the visionary experience and his main role
                            as narrator/explainer resumes its dominance.

                            Ian R. Brown
                            Ph.D. Candidate
                            Andrews University
                          • polycarp66@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                              In a message dated 1/28/2004 2:41:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, chris.larimer@... writes:
                              I also think that there is at least some merit to the thesis that the new Temple and the New Jerusalem portray a reclamation of these forms.  Certainly in the Ezekiel text there is a sincere desire that the glory of Solomon's temple be reinstituted.  Depending on your dating for the Apocalypse, you can see the desire for a new temple that recaptures the glory of the former (whether Herod's or, more likely, Solomon's) or (in my view) a reclamation of the Temple as a true house of worship to YHWH.  The city, likewise, is presented in a numerically perfect form and is described in aureate tones.  This shows that, like the temple - purged of fornication with the Beast (a corrupt Sadducean priesthood?) - the city is purged of her influences from Roman dominance.  Purified, there are only "dogs without".
                              _________

                              Since you are replying to what I had written, I must assume that you are understanding what I said to refer to a "reclamation of these forms."  I am well aware that there are those who maintain that there will be a rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.  This is most emphatically not my position.  Rather, I take the 144,000 to refer to literal members of the nation of Israel / Judea, the measuring of the temple to refer to the historical temple once built in Jerusalem, and the woman with the sun, moon and stars to refer to the literal Israel from whom Christ was born.  This is all historical material -- a part of the Heilsgeschicte.

                              I hear in my mind's ear someone asking, "What about the summons in chapter 4 which states that 'John' would be shown what was "about to happen."  This is a fair question.  This did seem somewhat troublesome when I began to consider the references as applying to things which had already occurred.  If this were the total of what is contained in this "Book of Destiny", it would be a most valid criticism.  I do hold, however, that there are matters in this "Seventh Seal" which are yet coming in the view of our author.  It is this to which the "about to happen" refers.  This involves the ongoing life of the New Jerusalem which is ever "coming down from God out of heaven" and never resides on earth.  This New Jerusalem is envisaged as covering the Roman Empire in its entirety (calculate the dimensions).  Most specifically this refers to the preaching of the word  and the administration of the sacraments.  The Church as the Bride says "Let everyone who is thirsty come to the water" and the congregation as "those who hear" in their turn say "Come."  This is that which is about to happen.

                              gfsomsel
                            • Ron Snider
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                                I would like a copy of the paper on Rev. 11:1-2.

                                thanks in advance,

                                ron snider
                              • Chris Larimer
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                                  Thanks for your reply.

                                  First, I am preterist and post-millennial in my leanings.  Therefore, I am not given to interpretations that focus on an earthly rebuilding of the Temple and a reinstitution of the Mosaic law/sacrificial system (which has been fulfilled in God's Christ).

                                  Secondly, I do not follow the three-fold division of the Revelation into the things "which you have seen, the things which are, and the things which are to come."  The Apocalypse is simply too non-lineal to support that view (otherwise, you would have at least five falls of Babylon between chapters 11-22).  Instead, I side with David Aune and Elizabeth Schussler Fiorenza in viewing the progressive action of the Apocalypse in successively more powerful symbolic systems.  My own division of the book as a whole is thus:

                                  Prologue and Epistolary Introduction (1:1-3:22)
                                  Heavenly Throneroom Vision (4:1-11:18)
                                  Cosmic War Vision (11:19-22:5)
                                  Epilogue and Epistolary Ending (22:6-21)

                                  I see a definite spiraling of events (not parallelisms because the content "touches" too much) that is also chiastically structured.  The chiastic structure is also intentionally a reversal of the prehistoric claims held in the first 11 chapters of Genesis.  Notice that there is a movement away from cities in the Abrahamic cycle and a definite distrust of city life and established religious systems before the time of slavery in Egypt.  That pattern is what I am claiming is reversed (or, in my language, reclaimed for God's holy ones as a righteous way of life).  That's why I posit that the Heavenly City (which is the size of the Roman empire) and the Heavenly Temple (which is the size of Jerusalem, c. 70 AD) are figurative ways of saying that God's reign is extended into secular life (symbolized as the city) and religious life (temple).

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                                    On Wednesday, January 28, 2004, at 08:22 PM, polycarp66@... wrote:

                                    > Since you are replying to what I had written, I must assume that you
                                    > are understanding what I said to refer to a "reclamation of these
                                    > forms."  I am well aware that there are those who maintain that there
                                    > will be a rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.  This is most
                                    > emphatically not my position.  Rather, I take the 144,000 to refer to
                                    > literal members of the nation of Israel / Judea, the measuring of
                                    > the temple to refer to the historical temple once built in Jerusalem,
                                    > and the woman with the sun, moon and stars to refer to the literal
                                    > Israel from whom Christ was born.  This is all historical material --
                                    > a part of the Heilsgeschicte.

                                    But if you take the 144,000 as a literal number, why do you not take
                                    the woman as being literally clothed with the sun?

                                    Ian Paul
                                    ___________________________
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                                      In a message dated 1/28/2004 8:08:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, chris.larimer@... writes:

[...]

                                      __________

                                      We divide it a bit differently.  My overall structure of the book is

                                      1. Superscription             1.1-3
                                      2. Letter Proper             1.4-22.20
                                            2.1 Salutation             1.4-8
                                            2.2 Prophetic Call Report 1.9-3.22
                                            2.3 Heavenly Journey Report 4.1-22.20
                                            2.4 Closing Salutation      22.21

                                      I consider the entire book to be in the form of a letter with a superscription which would be on the outside much as we would have a title on the spine of a book today.  The remainder is the letter proper. Note that the Letters to the Seven Churches are subsumed within the Prophetic Call Report which has a General and a Specific section which is not detailed here.  The Letters to the Seven Churches themselves are under the specific section.  Within the Heavenly Journey Report there is the Throne Room scene and the Report of the Opening of the Book of Destiny.  Under the opening category are the opening of each of the seven seals with an interlude for the sealing of God's people consisting of the 144,000 Israelites and the innumerable multitude of the Church.  In my view the Seventh Seal continues until 22.20 as a setting forth of the Heilsgeschichte.

                                      I too would probably most appropriately fit in the category of preterism though my views are much different from those of Grudem, e.g.  I do not hold to an early date for the writing of the Apocalypse.  As a matter of fact, I place it much later than is generally done.  I would say most certainly 135 AD.  (I'm sure someone will ask about this!)

                                      gfsomsel
                                    • polycarp66@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 28, 2004
                                        In a message dated 1/28/2004 11:02:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, editor@... writes:
                                        On Wednesday, January 28, 2004, at 08:22 PM, polycarp66@... wrote:

                                        > Since you are replying to what I had written, I must assume that you
                                        > are understanding what I said to refer to a "reclamation of these
                                        > forms."  I am well aware that there are those who maintain that there
                                        > will be a rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.  This is most
                                        > emphatically not my position.  Rather, I take the 144,000 to refer to
                                        > literal members of the nation of Israel / Judea, the measuring of
                                        > the temple to refer to the historical temple once built in Jerusalem,
                                        > and the woman with the sun, moon and stars to refer to the literal
                                        > Israel from whom Christ was born.  This is all historical material --
                                        > a part of the Heilsgeschicte.

                                        But if you take the 144,000 as a literal number, why do you not take
                                        the woman as being literally clothed with the sun?
                                        _________________________

                                        I never said that I took it as a literal number.  My understanding of the 144,000 is that it is a symbolic (??) number.  Its purpose is simply to indicate that there is a definite number from the tribes of Israel who are included in the people of God.  The reason for the definiteness of the number as opposed to the "great multitude which no man could number" which is used regarding the Church is that this number HAD ALREADY BEEN COMPLETED whereas the Church was still a work in progress.  I take very little in the Apocalypse as being literally true.  No "Great Whore" rides on the back of a beast.  There is no literal beast from the sea or beast from the land.  Christ does not go forth riding on a horse to execute judgment.  These are all symbolic representations.  They stand for something else which is usually explained in some fashion or is evident if one has a knowledge of the author's sources, viz. the OT and NT and to some degree the apocalyptic literature.

                                        gfsomsel
                                      • Marko Jauhiainen
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 29, 2004
                                          Ed Garcia said the following on 28.01 2004 17:05:

                                          > But Ian, if you have the time, how do you understand the measuring of
                                          > the temple? If you have commented on this passage previously, then
                                          > please excuse my oversight. Thank you.

                                          I am not Ian, either, but I would like to point you to an article on the
                                          measuring of the temple:

                                          http://www.bsw.org/?l=71831&a=Comm16.html

                                          Shalom,
                                          Marko