Re: [revelation-list] [Rev. List]: No More Sea?

  • Dave Mathewson
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2003
      In a forthcoming article to be published this Fall in Trinity Journal I
      sugget that Rev 21.1c has a significant background in New Exodus imagery
      such as found in Isa 51.9-10 (which merges mythical and Exodus imagery);
      Zech 10.10-12 and several other OT texts (Psalms; cf. also Lev. R. 27.4). I
      have argued this point in more summary fashion in my recent A New Heaven and
      a New Earth: The Meaning and Function of the OT in Revelation 21.1-22.5
      (Sheffield), pp. 65-68.

      Dave Mathewson

      >From: "Timothy P. Jenney" <drjenney@...>
      >To: <revelation-list@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [revelation-list] [Rev. List]: No More Sea?
      >Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:30:33 -0400
      >

      >Can anyone out there suggest a plausible reason for Rev. 21:1 "and the sea
      >was no more"?
      >
      >Thanks in advance,
      >
      >Timothy P. Jenney

      Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
      http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam
    • Ramsey Michaels
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2003
        The "sea" seems to be equivalent to "Death and Hades."

        There seems to be a chiasm:

        a. The sea gave up the dead that were in it (20:13a)
        b. Death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them (20:13b).
        b'. Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire (20:14).
        a'. There was no more sea (21:1).

        The old earth and sky are gone already in 21:11, but the sea has to stay
        around long enough to give up its dead. Then it too, is gone, but there is
        no "new" sea to correspond to the new sky and earth because the sea, like
        the grave, is a realm of death. Unlike Death and Hades, it can hardly be
        said to be cast into the lake of fire, for this would sound incongruous
        (Would the sea put the fire out? :-). So the author contents himself with
        just saying, "There was no more sea."

        By the way, check out Rudyard Kipling's poem, "The Last Chantey."

        Ramsey Michaels
      • Ariel Alvarez Valdes
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2003
          In Rev 21:5, the One who was seated on the throne says
          to John: "Write this down”.
          Does anyone know what John have to write? Are God’s
          words referred to the hole book of Revelation, or only
          vv.1-4, or even to the next words “these words are
          trustworthy and true”?
          What does the authors say?
          Than you

          Ariel Alvarez Valdés

          Internet GRATIS es Yahoo! Conexión
          4004-1010 desde Buenos Aires. Usuario: yahoo; contraseña: yahoo
          Más ciudades: http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar