SV: [revelation-list] [Rev. List]: No More Sea?

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 12 4:50 PM
      RE: [revelation-list] [Rev. List]: No More Sea?
      Why is it convincing? What are her arguments?

      Dr. Georg S. Adamsen
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13 12:12 AM
        Re: SV: [revelation-list] [Rev. List]: No More Sea? The sea in Rev 21:1 I have always taken as symbolic in general of the source of evil being removed. But regarding another water symbol, does anyone see any connection between the sea surrounding the throne in 4:6 and the 'new sea' in Rev 22:1, which flows from the throne into the city rather than just surrounding the throne. Can any interpretive weight be given to such a symbolic shift or 'development'?

        Greg

        --
        Dr G.J. Clarke
        Director, Centre for Apologetic Scholarship and Education (CASE)

        From: "Georg S. Adamsen" <georg@...>
        Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:50:32 +0200
        To: <revelation-list@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: SV: [revelation-list] [Rev. List]: No More Sea?

        Why is it convincing? What are her arguments?

        Dr. Georg S. Adamsen

        Can anyone out there suggest a plausible reason for Rev. 21:1 "and the sea
        was no more"?

        Thanks in advance,

        Timothy P. Jenney

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/J2VolB/TM

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT

      • Don K
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 13 2:22 AM
          Re: SV: [revelation-list] [Rev. List]: No More Sea?
          Greg,  I have personally taken the "sea" of the earlier chapter to represent the Old Covenant Temple imagery, for as all know, there was a huge brass "sea" standing in front of the temple. The priests had to wash there, and use the water as purification for entrance into the Temple. If this imagery stands behind the vision, then the removal of that sea would represent, like the removal of the veil, a removal of the hindrances between man and God. Thus, instead of the impeneterrable forbidding sea standing before the Throne, there is a river of life flowing from the Throne to all men.
          Just my thoughts
          Don K

          From: "Georg S. Adamsen" <georg@...>
          Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 01:50:32 +0200
          To: <revelation-list@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 15 7:40 AM
            In a forthcoming article to be published this Fall in Trinity Journal I
            sugget that Rev 21.1c has a significant background in New Exodus imagery
            such as found in Isa 51.9-10 (which merges mythical and Exodus imagery);
            Zech 10.10-12 and several other OT texts (Psalms; cf. also Lev. R. 27.4). I
            have argued this point in more summary fashion in my recent A New Heaven and
            a New Earth: The Meaning and Function of the OT in Revelation 21.1-22.5
            (Sheffield), pp. 65-68.

            Dave Mathewson

            >From: "Timothy P. Jenney" <drjenney@...>
            >To: <revelation-list@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [revelation-list] [Rev. List]: No More Sea?
            >Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:30:33 -0400
            >

            >Can anyone out there suggest a plausible reason for Rev. 21:1 "and the sea
            >was no more"?
            >
            >Thanks in advance,
            >
            >Timothy P. Jenney

            Try MSN Messenger 6.0 with integrated webcam functionality!
            http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_webcam
          • Ramsey Michaels
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 15 8:33 AM
              The "sea" seems to be equivalent to "Death and Hades."

              There seems to be a chiasm:

              a. The sea gave up the dead that were in it (20:13a)
              b. Death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them (20:13b).
              b'. Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire (20:14).
              a'. There was no more sea (21:1).

              The old earth and sky are gone already in 21:11, but the sea has to stay
              around long enough to give up its dead. Then it too, is gone, but there is
              no "new" sea to correspond to the new sky and earth because the sea, like
              the grave, is a realm of death. Unlike Death and Hades, it can hardly be
              said to be cast into the lake of fire, for this would sound incongruous
              (Would the sea put the fire out? :-). So the author contents himself with
              just saying, "There was no more sea."

              By the way, check out Rudyard Kipling's poem, "The Last Chantey."

              Ramsey Michaels
            • Ariel Alvarez Valdes
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16 2:25 AM
                In Rev 21:5, the One who was seated on the throne says
                to John: "Write this down”.
                Does anyone know what John have to write? Are God’s
                words referred to the hole book of Revelation, or only
                vv.1-4, or even to the next words “these words are
                trustworthy and true”?
                What does the authors say?
                Than you

                Ariel Alvarez Valdés

                Internet GRATIS es Yahoo! Conexión
                4004-1010 desde Buenos Aires. Usuario: yahoo; contraseña: yahoo
                Más ciudades: http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar