Re: [revelation-list] The Cross and the end of the world

  • Don K
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2003
      I think Revelation 5 contains another element that enters directly into the
      equation, yet is generally ignored. That is the fact that John alludes to
      Jesus "the lion of the tribe of Judah" thus, bringing to mind Genesis 49:10.
      It seems to me that in good midrashic form, John is calling his reader's
      attention to the fact that the time has come for the scepter to depart from
      Judah, because the Lion of Judah is about to take the scepter to himself by
      entering into his kingdom (Revelation 11:16f).
      This is more than a bit evocative and helpful, since 11:8f depicts the
      judgment of the city "where the Lord was slain" i.e. the center of Judah's
      sovereignty. There is a changing of world's about to take place. Judah was
      about to lose her scepter while the Lion of Judah assumed His.
      It was indeed the "end of the world," but it was not cosmological in the
      modern sense. It was the soteriological and eschatological climax of
      Israel's Old Covenant World.
      Don K

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
        Certainly true, Georg. The lamb isn't seated on the throne, although he is
        as near as possible to it--even "in the midst" of it in Rev 7:15. But the
        link between the appearance of being slain (ESPHAGMENON) and worthiness to
        open the seals is clear (5: 9, 12; ; 13:8). The Lamb's 'slain-ness' seems to
        be the key to its power--not its current life. It is this connection between
        the death of Jesus (represented metaphorically) and his power to usher in
        the Judgement that interests me. His death, rather than his resurrection,
        seems to give him worth and power.

        Greg

        --
        Dr G.J. Clarke
        Director, Centre for Apologetic Scholarship and Education (CASE)