Re: The Cross and the end of the world

  • Alan Fuller
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2003
      Hi Greg,

      It makes a lot of sense to me to compare the cross to the end of the
      world. I look at it this way:

      A. Deception and treachery
      B. Tribulation and judgment
      C. The crucifixion and the end of the world
      D. Resurrection

      I think we see these patterns in both the gospel and in Revelation.
      The deception and betrayal of Judas and Satanic forces. The
      persecution and judgment of Christ in the gospel, and the destruction
      of Judas. The persecution of saints, and the destruction of beasts
      in Revelation. Then there's the crucifixion and end of the world
      followed by the resurrection of Christ, and the resurrections in
      Revelation.

      I do see chapter 5 as more of a beginning of the end, if I understand
      you correctly.

      Alan

      --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, Greg Clarke <gjclarke@o...>
      wrote:
      > > From: "Alan Fuller" <rocsy@y...>
      > > Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:27:58 -0000
      > > To: revelation-list@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [revelation-list] (unknown)
      > >
      > > 1. The Revelation may represent several things, but one thing it
      > > surely describes is the end of the world....
      >

      > My friend and colleague, Peter Bolt, has just delivered the Moore
      College
      > Annual Lectures. He addressed the Gospel of Mark. In one lecture,
      he spoke
      > of the cross as the end of the world--the apocalyptic event which
      > reinterprets apocalyptic. This makes a lot of sense of Mark 13, and
      makes it
      > integral to the Gospel rather than some sort of interpolation.
      >
      > It also fits well with Rev 5 and the slain lamb on the throne. The
      > 'slain-ness' of the Lamb has always bothered me--why not a 'risen
      Lamb' of
      > some kind? Peter Bolt's focus on the cross as the apocalyptic
      event, the
      > means by which the king was crowned, seems to help here.
      >
      > Thoughts from others?
      >
      > Greg Clarke
    • Don K
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 29, 2003
        I think Revelation 5 contains another element that enters directly into the
        equation, yet is generally ignored. That is the fact that John alludes to
        Jesus "the lion of the tribe of Judah" thus, bringing to mind Genesis 49:10.
        It seems to me that in good midrashic form, John is calling his reader's
        attention to the fact that the time has come for the scepter to depart from
        Judah, because the Lion of Judah is about to take the scepter to himself by
        entering into his kingdom (Revelation 11:16f).
        This is more than a bit evocative and helpful, since 11:8f depicts the
        judgment of the city "where the Lord was slain" i.e. the center of Judah's
        sovereignty. There is a changing of world's about to take place. Judah was
        about to lose her scepter while the Lion of Judah assumed His.
        It was indeed the "end of the world," but it was not cosmological in the
        modern sense. It was the soteriological and eschatological climax of
        Israel's Old Covenant World.
        Don K

        > > 1. The Revelation may represent several things, but one thing it
        > > surely describes is the end of the world....
        >

        > My friend and colleague, Peter Bolt, has just delivered the Moore College
        > Annual Lectures. He addressed the Gospel of Mark. In one lecture, he spoke
        > of the cross as the end of the world--the apocalyptic event which
        > reinterprets apocalyptic. This makes a lot of sense of Mark 13, and makes
        it
        > integral to the Gospel rather than some sort of interpolation.
        >
        > It also fits well with Rev 5 and the slain lamb on the throne. The
        > 'slain-ness' of the Lamb has always bothered me--why not a 'risen Lamb' of
        > some kind? Peter Bolt's focus on the cross as the apocalyptic event, the
        > means by which the king was crowned, seems to help here.
        >
        > Thoughts from others?
        >
        > Greg Clarke

      • Greg Clarke
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
          Certainly true, Georg. The lamb isn't seated on the throne, although he is
          as near as possible to it--even "in the midst" of it in Rev 7:15. But the
          link between the appearance of being slain (ESPHAGMENON) and worthiness to
          open the seals is clear (5: 9, 12; ; 13:8). The Lamb's 'slain-ness' seems to
          be the key to its power--not its current life. It is this connection between
          the death of Jesus (represented metaphorically) and his power to usher in
          the Judgement that interests me. His death, rather than his resurrection,
          seems to give him worth and power.

          Greg

          --
          Dr G.J. Clarke
          Director, Centre for Apologetic Scholarship and Education (CASE)